OMG. Read this BEFORE you post anything! - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > WaltherForums.com > Walther Forum Announcements

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #1

FunWithPaul .22
OMG. Read this BEFORE you post anything!

I just spent 2 hours typing (with inserted pictures) a reply to my PPX dis-assembly post (the re-assembly part), and WatherForums says I need to click "back" to reload the page. Well that erased everything I just spent 2 hours typing.

Maybe a better idea (if you are going to take a while), it to type on a text editor, copy and paste to WaltherForums, and insert the pictures as an "edit"

Arrgh....
FunWithPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I think many here share your pain. If I have a long post to share I always use word or something similar and then post it here.

We all learn by experience...
gfb46 likes this.
olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
I can remember when this never happened. (here..)

Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
I've had this happen many times. It's infuriating, especially when I think I've written something brilliant. Then I reflect that maybe it wasn't, and God was telling me so.

Anyhow, here's two tips:

1) Immediately upon completing your first draft --and before changing anything--highlight everything and click "copy" to preserve it. Then if a subsequent keystroke deletes it or sends it to parts unknown, you can just click "paste" and restore it.

2) Sometimes, depending on what you did that unintentionally deleted your masterpiece, you can find it again by clicking a back symbol and scrolling fully down to where it might be hiding. Or (in Safari) pull down the "History" menu and find a link to it there.

M
tattooo likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Yep, life can be a 'beach' sometimes.......been there, done that. Copy and paste is your friend. Pretty much echoing what everyone has already said.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

Redcat94 .22
I've also learned to copy and paste my longer posts. ColtForum has an auto-save feature that works pretty well. I'm surprised that not all of the Vertical Scope forums use it.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

BB57 .22
It happens, and not just on this board.

If it's something long, I'll do it in Word and then copy paste it into the forum, when it's ready to go.

Otherwise, I select all and copy it so if it disappears I won't lose it.
BB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #8

1917-1911M .38
Clicking to copy doesn't work for me.....because many times I'm off to get another photograph which of course needs to be copied to add to the post...which in turn deletes the previous copy.....so, I just post my entry and then edit my post as necessary to add stuff. Problem solved....1917

edit....perhaps I'm missing something here and perhaps have been for years.....but I don't see an option to save. All I see is copy/paste. If I am in Excel or Word then I can save. Of course I could copy to the dashboard....but, that all seems a bit tedious. So I just post and edit now. Using a Mac.

Yep, works quite well.....if you don't mind the "edited" below your posts. I got over that.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 01-24-2017 at 12:10 PM.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #9

tattooo .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
I've had this happen many times. It's infuriating, especially when I think I've written something brilliant. Then I reflect that maybe it wasn't, and God was telling me so.

Anyhow, here's two tips:

1) Immediately upon completing your first draft --and before changing anything--highlight everything and click "copy" to preserve it. Then if a subsequent keystroke deletes it or sends it to parts unknown, you can just click "paste" and restore it.

2) Sometimes, depending on what you did that unintentionally deleted your masterpiece, you can find it again by clicking a back symbol and scrolling fully down to where it might be hiding. Or (in Safari) pull down the "History" menu and find a link to it there.

M
That is what I do....copy every so often to be on the safe side
tattooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #10

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Yep, works quite well.....if you don't mind the "edited" below your posts. I got over that.
Me too. Most of my posts are edited. I prefer that to random loss of data or having to use a text editor of some kind prior to posting.
1917-1911M likes this.
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > WaltherForums.com > Walther Forum Announcements

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.