U.N.C.L.E Air gun - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Air Guns Forum > Umarex Air Guns

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #11

Jzami69 .22
I think the Umarex was $85 and the Crossman was $65. fps was low 400s for the Umarex to high 400s for the Crossman. Bottom line seems to be that the Umarex looks great, but does not perform as well. I have several Umarex BB guns and I can attest to that. I have the CP99 (my second) and it is seriously authentic and ridiculously accurate, but both self-destructed in a few months. My PPS is still holding up. The PPK, the Makarovs, pretty much suck.
Jzami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #12

Illya .22
Thanks for the info Jzami, I had a Crossman M-1 Carbine back in 1978 and just recently gave it to my oldest Grandson ( who is 15) and after showing him how to keep it clean and in great working order, is using it. My point is that I am NOT surprised that the Crossman Version is superior! Their product line as a whole is just that good.
I'll have to check with my Friend to see if His modifications are doable to make it into the U.N.C.L.E. Special.
In case I don't get a chance to do this: Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and a Safe and prosperous New year.
Remember, DON'T Drink and Drive!!!
searcher451 likes this.
Illya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #13

Jzami69 .22
Quick follow up. Go to YouTube and search for the C41 review done by Replica Airguns. He also did a review of the Umarex and the Umarex faired better. fps for the C41 was WAY lower than advertised, but he was shooting it out of the box and there may have been some issues with oil. Also, accuracy-wise, it was just okay. The Umarex P38 was only a few fps slower. Not bad. But the thing that got me was the accuracy. Seriously accurate. Also all the buttons work; i.e. safety, slide release, and barrel release. Cool. On the one hand, you'd expect the higher price would get you more authenticity and more accuracy. My C41 arrived today with a broken grip so I can't give a shooting review. Hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #14

Illya .22
Thanks Jzami, My question becomes then: In Your opinion, which one would You recommend that I buy in order to have an accurate P-38 U.N.C.L.E. Special that could be make into the U.N.C.L.E. "Carbine"?
At the age of 62, I have a feeling that this might be the last BB gun that I buy.
Anyway, I appreciate this conversation with You and look forward to each answer.
Have a great day and Holiday season, my Friend.....
Cheers,
Old 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #15

Jzami69 .22
Don't know if I can help, but here's my thinking. The C41 shoots only a few fps more than the Umarex P38. It isn't as accurate as the P38 according to the review I saw. All the controls on the P38 work, as I said. And you can remove the barrel. So while there is only the standard barrel available now, it would seem Umarex was looking to add another. There are two issues with the C41. First the grips are known to be very loose. Mine aren't. In fact they're very snug. Also, the grip on mine pulls back and tilts up. I thought it was broken, but it may be a feature allowing easier access to the CO2 screw. Second, the slide on the C41 is very loose and does nothing (It's not a blowback like the P38.), so I'd just epoxy it in place. On the plus side, the C41 has a nice matte finish whereas the p38 is glossy. May not matter to you.

Here's what I have in case you want to look into other options:

Daisy Powerline 415 hunting pistol rated at 500 fps. Not a replica, but has lots of power and is fairly accurate. B

Umarex CP99. Seriously accurate. I can shoot out an embedded BB with a follow up shot at 15'. Excellent look and feel. Can be field stripped once you knock out one pin. Downside is construction. My first died in about a month. Second doesn't seem much better. A+ (Until it breaks.)

Umarex Makarov and Makarov Ultra. Junk. Feel like toys. I'm a Makarov fan so I really wanted to like them, but can't. D (No, that is not an emoticon.)

Umarex PPK/S. Okay, kind of sorta. Less toy-like than the Makarovs, but not a real quality pistol. It kind of looks like a PPK/S, but doesn't feel like one. Another pistol I want to love, but just can't. It's okay. C

Umarex PPS. Seriously nice. Very authentic. Feels like the real thing. Not as accurate as I'd like, but, overall, it's very good. A

Crossman C41 (P38 lookalike). Very hefty. Not really authentic, but close enough. Shoots okay. C

These last two are Makarovs, very expensive ($250), and extremely hard to find. They are made by Baikal in Russia in the same plant that made the Makarov 9mm service pistols and both contain about 80% genuine Makarov 9mm parts. These are REAL guns, not replicas, retrofitted for CO2 BBs.

Makarov MP645K 5th generation. Blued, based on the "single stack" magazine (narrower grip), authentic in every way except it fires BBs. But not very well. C

Makarov MP645K 4th generation. Nickel, based on the "double stack" magazine. Fairly accurate. More of a collector item, but still fun to shoot. B
Old 12-19-2015, 01:23 AM   #16

Illya .22
It sounds Jzami, that the Umarex is what I need. Considering that it won't be shot except on rare occasions, I don't think that the problem You mention will be a problem....not for quite a while. I'm glad to hear that the barrel is removable. I might have to put money aside for a few months to be able to afford it, but, since I plan to buy the extras to make it into the "Special" and the "Carbine" it will be worth the extra dollars. Now, if I could find an air pistol of the 1934 Mauser in order to make one of the 1st U.N.C.L.E. Specials. Any ideas as to that on Your end?
I must close as it is 0125 Eastern Standard Time and I have a relatively early day of it tomorrow.
Cheers,
Illya
Old 12-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #17

Jzami69 .22
Not a clue, Illya. And, except for the shiny finish, for authenticity and accuracy, I'd go with the Umarex P38. A bit of buyer's remorse here as I'm not thrilled with the C41.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #18

Illya .22
Thanks Jzami, The board just posted Your answer into my E-Mail not 10 minutes ago. The Umarex it shall be!!! I will keep on looking for a 1934 Mauser, though as that was the original "napoleon Solo Gun" that We all saw on various items. BTW, the wooden foregrip on that "rifle" was actually made from a cut down wooden 1934 Mauser handgrip FWIW. I got that bit of trivia from Brad.
For now,........
Cheers,
Illya
Old 12-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #19

Illya .22
Hi Jzami, Life, especially mine, takes some weird turns!!!!! Any way, I appreciate the input....A LOT! I am looking at getting the Umarex P-38 ( not having had any luck tracking down a 1934 Mauser BB pistol. Supposedly one was made some time ago, however.......) Interestingly enough, At one time the Umarex P-38 WAS released as the U.N.C.L.E. Special, complete with most all attachments! I can't seem to find them any where. How well has Your P-28 held up since last We posted?

Cheers,
Illya

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Air Guns Forum > Umarex Air Guns