Walther PPX fails to fire with a firing pin issue - Page 18 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #171

DrDenby .22
Yep, JDM

Unless of course there is something serious.. broken firing pin, spring, etc.

I understand why people send it in. The firing block assembly is an awkward process with tiny parts that are easily lost.

Plus when they get a gun sent in, they do a full function inspection and clean.

But basically, yeah, you are right.

Doc
DrDenby is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #172

wormraper .22
which is rather frustrating. I honestly don't know WHY they didn't make the firing pin channel accessible like 99% of semi auto pistols out there. I don't do it often but I DO check my firing pin channel on all my guns at least once a year, sometimes twice and there's usually at least a little gunk in there. it's why I sold mine. Not because I think the PPX is a piece of crap, but because for only $200 more I got the P99 and it gives me the piece of mind knowing I can do basic maintanence on the gun without having to send it in.

Last edited by searcher451; 01-17-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: bandwidth
wormraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 AM   #173

GorillaP .22
I got a PPX not too long ago and had some issues at first. They seemed to have been firing pin related. I would fairly frequantly have an issue where I would have to pull the trigger twice for the round to fire.
The pistol also seemed to be susceptible to limp-wristing.

After a decent break-in period, a VERY thorough lubing and cleaning the breach-face really good, as well as expressing the firing-ping and wiping it down good with bore-cleaner to remove any grease/soot (possibly due to a small amount of lube getting in through the firing pin hole) it seems to be running reliably.
I brought it to the range, put about 200-rds of multiple brass and steel rounds with no issues at all.
GorillaP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #174

PPXtype .22
is there a video on R & R of the firing pin assembly?
does the assembly lift out intact when you remove the roll pin (#3.3 on exploded view) ? do you have to hold anything down or push anything in while removing the pin?

Last edited by searcher451; 02-18-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: bandwidth
PPXtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:23 AM   #175

DrDenby .22
PPXType,

There are no videos. The parts diagram that I linked to, is the best there is.

Once that main pin comes out of the side of the slide, the firing pin block should slide out with just a bit of encouragement of a couple light raps.

Once out, there are several very tiny parts and springs that you have to be very careful with or they WILL get lost.

Those have to come out before the firing pin itself can be removed.

It is not easy describing, it's one of those things you have to see for yourself. To see just how small some of the parts are.

If you do decide to take it apart, be sure to take very detailed pictures and/or make very detailed sketch of the orientation and fit of each part, otherwise it will take you forever to get them back in place.

Doc
DrDenby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #176

PPXtype .22
Thanks Doc.
PPXtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #177

FunWithPaul .22

Hi All,
If you have read this far, you too must have had this problem. I did also.

In my case, the rear part of the firing pin (the part that the hammer hits) was stuck flush with the interior part of the slide ("Fire Control" #2.1 on the Walther PDF), yet the pin was not protruding from the breech face.

Of course, this causes to FTF's with no primer strikes.

I have appx 2000 rds through this firearm, and it was field stripped, and cleaned after almost every firing session. I have never cleaned the firing pin channel, or oiled it.

As a "let's try this", I sprayed some brake cleaner spray into the back openings of the firing pin channel (and assembly), allowing the cleaner to rinse out the channel (holding the slide vertically, aft end up...).
I don't know if any debris or carbon came out, but the firing pin did return to the normal position (protruding from the back of the "fire control" about 1/16").

I shot another 300 rounds with no further FTF's.

I will contact Walther about this, and am planning on removing the "fire control" to see if there is brass or carbon that caused the firing pin to stick.

I also plan on washing the firing pin channel with brake cleaner more regularly.

One thing that I found interesting during this experimenting, was that the firing pin does not protrude from the breech (bolt face?) when it is flush with the back of the "fire control". So it actually needs kinetic energy to reach the primer, after the hammer stops against the back of the "fire control". I guess this prevents the pin from contacting the primer if the hammer is hit, without the firing pin safety being pressed.

Try it sometime... with the slide off, press on the back of the firing pin with a small tool. When it is flush with the "fire control" block, it won't protrude from the breech face, and shouldn't, unless the round "firing pin safety" button is pressed, and then you must press the firing pin further into the "fire control" (further than the hammer reaches) in order to reach the primer.
If you don't understand what I just described, don't try it. You probably shouldn't be holding a small tool, let alone a firearm...

Paul
SuperTanker likes this.

Last edited by FunWithPaul; 07-17-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Trying to get the picture to display
FunWithPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #178

FunWithPaul .22
Hey All,
I did take the "Fire Control" out (trying to clean the firing pin),
If you would like to see pics here is the post:
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...-pictures.html

Paul
FunWithPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Search tags for this page
ppx failure to fire issue
walther ppx failure to fire
walther ppx fireing pin
walther ppx firing pin
walther ppx firing pin issue
walther ppx firing pin not hitting
walther ppx firing pin recall
walther ppx firing pin removal
walther ppx issues

walther ppx problems

walther ppx wont fire
why is my ppx not firing
Click on a term to search for related topics.