PPX case extraction problem. - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Jaems .22
PPX case extraction problem.

Anyone having problems of cases hitting you in the head, face, and body or is this the norm for the PPX? I know it sound like a Gen4 Glock.

I purchased a new PPK yesterday (waiting for my PPQ Navy, on order) I cleaned all the new gun gunk out of it and the mags.

I took it to the Range today to try it out. I had some old HP 9mm reloads from the early 80's. I wanted to get rid of some of them. They were loaded for a Luger and a couple of P38's that I use to own. The reloads had also worked fine in the Italian 92S Beretta. I also had some newer FMJ PMC.

It didn't matter if I was using the reloads or the PMC (which seem to have more recoil). I still was hit in the head and around the face. Before you say it was the Ammo. I also had my Gen3 G19. Not one round from either type hit me in the face from this one. As usual it fed and fired everything. It is just not that exciting of a weapon at least for me.

Tonight when I clean the weapons. I will make sure the chamber is very clean, just in case the it wasn't clean enough today. After about 90 rounds in and around the face, I decided I had had enough of the PPX for the day. The PPX does have a nice trigger. It also had a little tighter group than the G19.
Jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #2

BessonGuy Unproven
Yes, my PPX 9mm likes to throw them at my face and forehead with some ammo. My preferred plinking rounds for all my other guns are 115gr CCI blazer aluminum, but that is worst with the PPX in this regard. It did otherwise function fine.

Try switching to other brands. Several others I tried didn't eject to my face like the Blazer. Sorry I can't remember which right now.

And it wasn't my grip as others suggested. With the the right loads I can hold the grip as loose and limp as possible without getting pelted.
Wearing a baseball cap and good safety glasses helps too.

I'm still hoping this ammo sensitivity goes away as the gun breaks in.

Don

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
BessonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

Jaems .22
I some other brands of 9mm that I can try. If it continues with the others brands then it has to be a design flaw or a factory defect. Of all the Walthers I own now and have over the years. I have never had a problem like this.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

BessonGuy Unproven
Jaems I don't disagree with you. I guess I've been sort of forgiving of this $319 gun. Probably too forgiving.

I wonder if the extractor is hanging up. Or ejector is wrong length.

Yours is the only other report of this I've come across. How many before it deserves a sticky?
Don

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
BessonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

cirby .22
About one out of every 60 or so rounds, mine tosses a casing back and hits me right between the eyebrows, just above my shooting glasses.

It's really accurate about it, too - those are the only ones that hit me in the face.
cirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

balance .22
Does it do this with defensive ammo?

Sometimes when a pistol is new, with the springs being stiff, ejection can be abnormal with light target ammo until the springs break in.

How many rounds do you guys have through the pistols, and what ammo are you shooting?
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #7

Jaems .22
PPX got me in the head 90 out of 90 rounds. The Glock fired the same ammo and missed me every time. The chamber may of not have gotten all of the shipping gunk out so I really cleaned it this time. I have some different brands of ammo. I will try them and see what happens.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #8

cirby .22
I've got about 500 rounds through so far, and mostly use Federal 115 grain GMJ.

Last edited by searcher451; 10-13-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Bandwidth
cirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #9

csmith181 .22
My girlfriend had the same issue the first time she shot my PPX. It turned out to be a 2 fold problem:
1) new springs.. this was within the first 250 rounds through the gun so the springs were really stiff.
2) Extractor grime.. I had previously shot a couple-3 boxes of WWB and even though I had though the gun was clean, there was a bit of build-up under the extractor.

Since then I store the weapon with the slide back (the extra step of releasing the slide gives me an added feeling of safety, false or not). this trick helps relax the recoil spring a bit. Also I thoroughly clean the extractor using plenty of cleaner and an old stiff toothbrush after every range trip.

Now the rounds will generally fly off at a 45 degree angle every time. no more burning hot brass down her shirt!
csmith181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #10

Dogbreath .22
Might be ammo related

That stopped happening to me when I started using 124 gr. ammo.
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Search tags for this page
aluminum cased ammo in ppx
ppx chamber problems
ppx problem
problem with walter greed don ejecting round
problems with longer hand loads in walther ppx
walther ppx case
walther ppx ejection and extraction problems
walther ppx extractor
walther ppx issues
walther ppx magazine

walther ppx problems

walther ppx use aluminum ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.