WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #11

Leftie .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by P22shooter View Post
Always been a 1911 guy, so the whole 9mm thing is some what confusing. Not getting any good guidance from my end. Most of shooting buddies are 1911 guys too.
I've heard that the 142grain (regardless of type) bullet packs the most punch (knock down power).
A guy at the store said to use +P. There is a new one with a ?50? grain bullet.

Nice to see another 1911 guy here! Welcome!

9mm is a different beast from .45ACP, that's for sure; here's what I've found:

124grain +P Gold Dots work fantastically and give decent penetration and good velocity.

147grain rounds will penetrate more deeply, but generally don't get the velocity out of the muzzle and the same expansion as a 124grain. 9mm projectiles seem to do much better at higher velocities.

I'd be very careful about super-light bullets because what you gain in velocity and expansion, you sacrifice in penetration...

At the end of the day, 9mm is a smaller hole than .45, and doesn't carry as much weight, so to make it more "lethal" in a bullet-for-bullet comparison, you have to find a sweet spot between expansion and penetration.

That said, 115grains x 2 equals 230grains
Leftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #12

BamaPPQ .22
From what i've read Walther does not recommend +p ammunition and recommends not using +p+.
BamaPPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #13

P22shooter .22
Bama,
I haven't been able to find anything about not using +Ps. It looks like several of the the other people use them. Just not the really light weight bullets. I have never thought +P+ were a good idea. But hey that is why I am asking. Thanks for your comments.
P22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Check the owner's manual. Walther does not recommend +P and +P+ ammo in its pistols. You'll also find many references to this by running a search; it's been covered in a number of threads.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #15

P22shooter .22
Leftie,
Thanks for your comments. You said it in such a way that it clicks in this old guy. I like the 2 X 115 grain = 230 grain comment. I took my CC class this past weekend and that's what the instructor was telling me. They were police officers. They said I had no problem hitting the target wherever I need to but was going to have to work on the ole double tap, because of not shooting the 230 grain punkinball.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #16

P22shooter .22
Searcher,
I have been searching around. I guess I just haven't found one (thread) that says do not use. From what people have posted here the +P 124 grain is very popular. The reason I posted this on here is so I can get the comments and opinions of the people that are using the PPX in 9mm. I think from what I have read here is they aren't going to the range and shooting 100's of +P's they are just using the +P as their carry or protection rounds. I know that when I shoot my 1911 at the range I am using 230 grain (punkin)ball. But I generally never carry it (230 grain) as my carry or protection round due to potential over penetration. I fact it wasn't until recently that I was even aware that there was +P in .45 acp.
Thanks for the comments, I will keep reading.

* sorry, re-read your post. I will check the owners manual again. Did not see anything on this the first time I read it.
thanks again.

Last edited by P22shooter; 05-13-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: duh factor
Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #17

P22shooter .22
Searcher,
Got the owners manual out and went to reading.
It says you can use +P (weapon will require service more often)
It says to never use +P+. It also recommends not using reloads which have not been tested.
Crevosis likes this.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #18

Crevosis .22
"+P" ammo is talked bout on page 10 of the PPX manual. I do agree though. Don't think that +P ammo is going to be a persons main target/range ammo. I would think that it will hold up just fine with +P long enough to take care of what it is needed for.

Technicaly it doesn't say NOT to use +P ammo, just that it will wear the gun more and require more frequent service.

Last edited by Crevosis; 05-13-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Crevosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #19

BamaPPQ .22
That is correct. It says it will require more frequent service. Which basically means it will break the gun. Not to start a war but you really don't need +p ammo for civilian self defense use. There is plenty of non +p ammo out there that will more than get the job done.
BamaPPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Crevosis has it; and it says the same thing in pretty much every manual for every Walther pistol on the market these days, and from days past. Your call, of course, but I steer clear of the +P+ stuff all the time and only use +P on rare occasions when running self-defense ammo through a pistol to check to see if it's working adequately.
Crevosis likes this.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Search tags for this page
ammo for walther ppx
ammo for walther ppx 9mm
best ammo for ppx

best ammo for walther ppx

best ammo for walther ppx 9mm

best ammunition for walther ppx 9mm

walther ppx 9mm

walther ppx 9mm ammo

walther ppx 9mm p

walther ppx ammo

walther ppx p

walther ppx p ammo

Click on a term to search for related topics.