For People Considering a PPX - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Like Tree132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 PM  

Crevosis .22
Wink For People Considering a PPX

Just wanted to give the short and skinny on what you DO and DO NOT get with a PPX.

First what you DO get:

Inside the case you will find a very high quality and very accurate PPX handgun with 2 magazines with a breach lock. That is pretty much it.

What you DO NOT find:

You will NOT find the interchangeable backstraps or magazine loader like with the PPQ. You also will not find a spent round and a test target like the PPQ.

One of the biggest concerns you will hear are ones about the hump/hoof at the bottom of the grip. Let me try to answer that question with another question. When you grip a handgun, where are your hands placed? If your hands are anywhere near that hump, you may want to rethink you gripping of guns. Next time you pick up a semi-auto handgun, notice where your hand rests on the grip. The natural grip most people take with a semi-auto handgun will (unless you have a truely massive mitt,such as I do) will, for the most part, be above the hump/hoof. The ergonomics of this hump is to encourage the shooters hand to grip as high on the grip as possible, thus making the hump an advantage and not a negative thing. If your hand IS larger than normal (like as I stated earlier mine are), then it in most cases will not even make it to the center area of the palm. The hump is just not an issue for must people, they just don't like it's look.

THE PPX IS NOT A HI-POINT!!! If you base the looks of the PPX off of the Hi-Point and dismiss it as such, than you are doing the handgun and Walther a GREAT disservice!! If you notice the PPX does have a high bore axis. If the the slide of the PPX was any smaller than I would think that the flip of the PPX would be a little much or at very least hard to control. Simply put, the slide size, weight and dimensions are the PERFECT counter to the flip and rise of the gun. Walther got it right when they made the PPX with the "blocky" slide!!

The PPX is very reliable:
I have, as of the time of this posting, sent 700+/- rounds down range and have not had one single FTF/FTE yet. I have stripped my PPX after each range test and it is as clean after the last test as it was after the first test. Disassembly was a snap and reassembly was just as easy.
Here is a video of the process (it is shown here much better than I can explain it).

The accuracy of the PPX:
What else can I say but "It is a Walther!"
Again, at the time of this posting, I have done both my CCW required testing with my PPX and 2 (so far) advanced training classes with my PPX and it has done nothing less than hit the mark of where I aimed it consistantly EVERY SINGLE TIME! Everytime I aimed for the sternum, guess where it went without fail? I rapid fire testing I shot 2 full mags. 1 mag aimed for the sternum (normally this is the top "8" on most silhouette targets) and 1 mag center mass of the head. Needless to say, even at rapid fire, each and every round was no more than 1 1/2" - 2" off of center at 8-10 yards.

My honest thoughts of the PPX:

The PPX is NOT a PPQ. That said, I honestly think that if someone is looking for a home defense gun or truck/car gun and are on a budget, THIS GUN WAS MADE FOR YOU!! If you are an enthusiast of guns and want the highest amount of customization, buy a PPQ!! I would absolutely trust this handgun with my life and do. I honestly think this gun can hold it's own against most guns $100-$200 more then it is including the PPQ, but I degress (because I know comparing the PPX to the PPQ in this way is almost blasphamy).

P.S.
On a personal note. Please people, stop treating the PPX like it is a bastard child. The Walther quality is definitely there!! If you want the best of the best that Walther has to offer, then please don't waste your time knocking the PPX, just buy a PPQ and enjoy it to the fullest. The PPX is an entry level gun for petesake! The gun comes as high of quality as can be made for the price and with the bare minimum stuff to keep the cost low to the consumer. I honestly don't see why anyone would NEED (notice I said NEED here, not WANT) anymore from a firearm.

Last edited by Crevosis; 04-14-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM  

Riogrande481 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crevosis View Post
The PPX is an entry level gun for petesake! The gun comes as high of quality as can be made for the price and with the bear minimum stuff to keep the cost low to the consumer. I honestly don't see why anyone would NEED (notice I said NEED here, not WANT) anymore from a firearm.
Agreed. At least it is not like a SIG SP2022 and come with only one mag!

I own a SP2022 and like it too.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM  

bunk22 .22
Very nice review and concur with all. My bedside handgun has been a Glock 17 of various generations for quite some time. My PPX now sits next my bed as it's just as easy to shoot but easier for my daughter to shoot as well, due to the trigger. Not saying it's better than my Glock Gen 4 G17....I don't know if any polymer gun would ever take that crown IMO, but it is a close second and though I think it still looks odd, I do love it. It's like having an dog that is so ugly, it's not ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riogrande481 View Post
Agreed. At least it is not like a SIG SP2022 and come with only one mag!

I own a SP2022 and like it too.
I have an SP2022 as well, in .357 Sig actually and yes, drives me nuts that it only comes with 1 mag!!!
DaddyBeagle likes this.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 PM  

right2bear .22
Excellent review sir!!! I shoot this gun better than I do my G19! Its a joy at the range, and I have now put just over 500 rounds down range.
MGO Activities Committee member
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 AM  

MFWIC .22
For People Considering a PPX

Wow...700 rounds! Where'd you find that much ammo about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Walther P99c AS 9mm
Walther PPQ M1 9mm
Walther PPQ 45 .45acp
Walther PPX 9mm
Walther PPS classic 9mm
Walther CCP 9mm
Walther LGU Master .22 cal
Walther LGU Varmint .22 cal
Walther LGV Challenger ultra .22 cal
Walther LGV Challenger ultra .177 cal
Walther Terrus black .177 cal
Walther Terrus Wood .22 cal
Walther Parrus .22 cal
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 AM  

rifleshooter474 .22
Great report and very good video,I really like the new take down lever like found on my Springfield XD-45. I see the hammer is like the one on my Para LDA I hope the trigger is as smooth as the Para is. This type trigger is a major change from what Walther has offered in other handguns. Will be waiting to hear what others think about this new trigger and hammer.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 PM  
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
The PPX trigger works and feels like my Para LDA for about about $500 less. Walther copied the Para's precocked hammer system but neglected to include the thumb and grip safety. I'll carry my Para .45 but the PPX stays on the nightstand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parapda.jpg (8.7 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by Milspec; 04-17-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM  

Crevosis .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFWIC View Post
Wow...700 rounds! Where'd you find that much ammo about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lol there are a very very few places that have 1 or 2 boxes of 50 at a time, but you have to be there when they unload the shipment. Most I have bought was from the handgun instructor that I have taken CCW and the advanced classes from, not for taken home but just for shooting for the classes. He has a friend who has a friend who knows where they can be had. He don't tell and I dare not ask!! =P
P22shooter likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM  

Bronxbomber252 .22
That wouldn't happen to be Jerome would it? If so my wife and I are taking a class with him on Thursday.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 AM  

Crevosis .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxbomber252 View Post
That wouldn't happen to be Jerome would it? If so my wife and I are taking a class with him on Thursday.
Nope. sorry, not Jerome =)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Search tags for this page
ppx magazines
ppx problems
ppx torture test
sp2022 ppx
walther ppx
walther ppx accuracy
walther ppx forum
walther ppx issues
walther ppx laser light combo
walther ppx magazine

walther ppx problems

walther ppx reliability
Click on a term to search for related topics.