Handled a PPX - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #21

Crevosis .22
no test target or spent shell

Put the money down on PPX Friday. Handled it. Nice and crisp trigger pull. Looks to me that thePPX models do not ship with test targets or a spent round casing. I, like many others, was very skeptical of this new offering from Walther. All that changed once I handle the gun. In my honest opinion it was just the perfect size for my big hands. Trigger pull was short and consistantly break right in the sweet spot there your minds eye tells you it is suppose to break. Yes the trigger travel was a little bit short but perfect acceptable to be learned in your muscle memory. Fixed backstrap I assume to keep costs lower, as I am sure is the case with no test target and spent round. The nasty bend at the bottome of the grip posed no problem whatsoever to me (like I said, I have relatively large hands). Solid construction on both the poly frame and the slide. Everything just fit nicely together. IMHO only corners that Walther cut were the lil things and perks that other models have but not at all the gun construction itself.

Last edited by Crevosis; 02-17-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Crevosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #22

Sundevil827 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crevosis View Post
Put the money down on PPX Friday. Handled it. Nice and crisp trigger pull. Looks to me that thePPX models do not ship with test targets or a spent round casing. I, like many others, was very skeptical of this new offering from Walther. All that changed once I handle the gun. In my honest opinion it was just the perfect size for my big hands. Trigger pull was short and consistantly break right in the sweet spot there your minds eye tells you it is suppose to break. Yes the trigger travel was a little bit short but perfect acceptable to be learned in your muscle memory. Fixed backstrap I assume to keep costs lower, as I am sure is the case with no test target and spent round. The nasty bend at the bottome of the grip posed no problem whatsoever to me (like I said, I have relatively large hands). Solid construction on both the poly frame and the slide. Everything just fit nicely together. IMHO only corners that Walther cut were the lil things and perks that other models have but not at all the gun construction itself.

Pictures and range report as soon as it is in your hands!

Congrats and good luck with your new purchase.
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #23

JackDRipper Unproven
I handled one today, trigger was okay not as good as my PPQ. $420 price tag
JR
JackDRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #24

Sundevil827 .22
I tired to hit that Cabela's today, and it was already gone, I'll have to keep lookin'.

Last edited by searcher451; 02-19-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Bandwidth
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #25

Sundevil827 .22
I found one today at Gat Guns, they were unpacking a Walther box, and I happened to be there. When I saw what they were unpacking, I was over to that part of the counter, and a few of the employee's and I all were looking over the PPX. I have mixed first opinions. The trigger was nice, I enjoyed the crisp pull, but reset was noticeably longer than the PPQ and P99. With both the P30 and PPQ, I'm learning to appreciate the short PPQ reset. That said, the PPX trigger may have had a longer reset, but trigger felt better to me than the V1 and V2 LEM trigger on the P30.

One of my bigger issue was the grip. It's definitely different, and I did not feel like my hand fit in it all that well, it did make me appreciate the removable panels on the PPQ and P30. It isnt a deal break, but not having 'em, I'm sure is a part of its price point.

I'd definitely like to shoot one, and despite the nice price, I think I'd still be more likely to save up, and buy a P99, especially since the mag's can be shared with the Classic PPQ.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #26

yellowlt4 .22
I handled one today. While I agree it is not as nice as the PPQ or P99 in the trigger department, it did feel near perfect in the hand with a solid, comfortable grip. I have never touched another ~$400 gun that felt this nice. Once I return home next month I will be hunting one down.

One other thing that caught my attention was how well the magazine release was for a button style, solid, easy and well placed for my hand.
yellowlt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #27

grumpy1 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil827 View Post
I found one today at Gat Guns, they were unpacking a Walther box, and I happened to be there. When I saw what they were unpacking, I was over to that part of the counter, and a few of the employee's and I all were looking over the PPX. I have mixed first opinions. The trigger was nice, I enjoyed the crisp pull, but reset was noticeably longer than the PPQ and P99. With both the P30 and PPQ, I'm learning to appreciate the short PPQ reset. That said, the PPX trigger may have had a longer reset, but trigger felt better to me than the V1 and V2 LEM trigger on the P30.

One of my bigger issue was the grip. It's definitely different, and I did not feel like my hand fit in it all that well, it did make me appreciate the removable panels on the PPQ and P30. It isnt a deal break, but not having 'em, I'm sure is a part of its price point.

I'd definitely like to shoot one, and despite the nice price, I think I'd still be more likely to save up, and buy a P99, especially since the mag's can be shared with the Classic PPQ.
Thanks for the update! How much was GAT selling it for? I was at GAT a few days ago and they had a P99 AS for $749! Hoping to try out the PPX at the Factory Shoot next month. I am not really in the market for one but it sure is fun trying out different pistols for only the cost of the ammo.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #28

Sundevil827 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
Thanks for the update! How much was GAT selling it for? I was at GAT a few days ago and they had a P99 AS for $749! Hoping to try out the PPX at the Factory Shoot next month. I am not really in the market for one but it sure is fun trying out different pistols for only the cost of the ammo.
Gat had it listed for $449.

I thought the P99 AS at $749 was way high, being used to seeing them online last fall in the $559-$575 area, but when I looked closer I noticed that they had the factory night sights on them. So I figured add another $100 or $110 if you were buying them to add on. Then I rationalized that the 9mm has been darn near impossible to find....short version...they had 2 when I got there, now they have one...my wife bought it.

I'm just having a very hard time rationalizing that price when I know it was $200 cheaper (okay cheaper without the night sights) not 6 months ago. Trying to keep a brave face right now.

EDIT ***Actually, her's has the ambi slide lock, so does that make the P99 AS Defense Kit? In fact, same collector, Manfred Kloker, and same date, exactly same box contents...hmmm, $1200 on Gunbroker? Now I cant wait until Monday to see if it has the ambi-slide release, but hey, different gun, wrong forum for worrying about it! Back to PPX!

I hope to see you up there for the shoot, that's where I'd like to get my hands on the PPX as well. God knows this has been a busy month M&P 22, PPQ, P99 AS, not like there needs to be anything else this year, but...if it feels good maybe for down the road once the pipeline is full and mags are plentiful.

Last edited by Sundevil827; 02-22-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #29

grumpy1 .22
Good deal on picking up a new P99 AS - what an awesome pistol!! I did not notice that it had night sights so IMO that makes it a decent deal especially in todays market.

BTW I am curious. Does your new P99 AS have the Smith and Wesson import stamp on it or not?? Wondering if it is one of the first batch of the ones from Walther USA??

My son has a Walther P99 AS in .40 and it is a stunning pistol and the reason I bought a PPQ without ever trying one first.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #30

Sundevil827 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
Good deal on picking up a new P99 AS - what an awesome pistol!! I did not notice that it had night sights so IMO that makes it a decent deal especially in todays market.

BTW I am curious. Does your new P99 AS have the Smith and Wesson import stamp on it or not?? Wondering if it is one of the first batch of the ones from Walther USA??

My son has a Walther P99 AS in .40 and it is a stunning pistol and the reason I bought a PPQ without ever trying one first.
Hmmm, I honestly dont remember.

I do remember that the registration postcard in there had the S&W site, and the fired brass collected had the Springfield, MA info, so I'm going to bet it probably has the S&W stamp on it. With the snow I may leave a little late, and see if I cant stop up there, and answer those couple of questions I now have about it.

Cant tell you how thrilled the wife is to have it. That said, I'm shocked that she made the call to buy it without having fired the P99. She is the reverse, loves the PPQ so she is sure she'll really like the P99. I'm not going to argue with that logic!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Search tags for this page

can a walther ppx handle p ammo

can i fire p ammo in my walther ppx
can walther ppx handle p ammo
how to do a trigger reset on ppx hand gun
large hands walther ppx 9mm
p250 trigger or ppx trigger?
walther german proof mark ppx

walther ppx 9mm

walther ppx magazines for sale
walther ppx proof mark

walther ppx proof marks

walther ppx safety
Click on a term to search for related topics.