I almost hate to say it, but... - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

Boogs .22
Not sure why I keep referring to the PPQ, suppose it's only natural because that is the only model I can see having a chance

Since this thread is about the PPX, the PPX by itself will not compete with Glock in the LE market, no way.

The PPQ has more of a chance with LE (IMO), but is still not suitable due to trigger and similarity in design (IMO), and the fact remains that Walther is a bit behind that curve to really make an impact.

Last edited by Boogs; 01-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #12

SmackytheFrog .22
I feel that the bulky blocky design is probably a clue to the corners cut. It probably costs alot to pay a German worker for the time to make a sleek and sexy ppq. So the "economy" version is made very blockily to save labor. That's my theory anyway. I don't personally think this new pistol is going to be a lemon functionally.
SmackytheFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #13

balance .22
Quote:
What types of pistols was Glock competing with when they made their splash? Revolvers?

What is Walther competing with?

I'm not saying it is impossible, I'm just saying.. If Walther is trying to oust Glock, with a pistol that is essentially the same, only significant differences being "better" ergonomics and a striker that is 100% pre-cocked, it isn't going to happen.

Turning your back on a following that has helped make the PPQ a success, by not offering that model, isn't wise either

If they are truly trying to emulate Glock's approach into the US market, I can assure you they are a few decades too late. Which is why I think it is not a good idea to take such an approach
I think the PPX is the only pistol in the Walther line-up that has a chance to compete for police contracts here. Very few SAO pistols seem to have won agency contracts here, so I don't see the PPQ being any different.

The PPX has a few features that Glock pistols don't. You can block the hammer with your thumb and holster the pistol with much less of a chance of something pulling the trigger and firing the pistol, and the grip is almost guaranteed to be considered more ergonomic in the hands of more people. If a department has to choose between a Glock and a PPX, these extra features will no doubt help Walther.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #14

Boogs .22
Suppose all thats true, why market it as entry level?

"Chicago Police Department signs contract with Walther for 15,000 entry level pistols"

Some of these moves just feeeeel cheap
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #15

BPman .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogs View Post
...I don't care for the aesthetics, nor the magazine difference (PPX and M2), but, why take a step down just to have another Walther pistol? I'm not a collector, it's all about function, and I have no reason for a PPX...
Quote:
...If that is the case, I just don't see it, they had to cut something.. they're not a 501c
Quote:
...Since this thread is about the PPX, the PPX by itself will not compete with Glock in the LE market, no way.

the fact remains that Walther is a bit behind that curve to really make an impact.
Quote:
...Some of these moves just feeeeel cheap

Two things are patently clear:

1. you don't like the PPX

2. you really don't like the PPX

No need to tell us again, and again, and again......................
BPman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #16

Boogs .22
Well, wouldn't say that.. call it an ignorant statement, but based on what I'm hearing, reading, and seeing, I wouldn't trust my life to it when I have the Q and another other number of fine, non "entry level" polys.

Since the discussion was that it may have a presence in LE, I have to disagree. There is nothing wrong with someone wanting a Walther pistol for a more affordable price than their higher end models, and surely most of those people won't be departments.

It isn't the PPX I have an issue with, more the philosophy Walther seems to have adopted in transitioning here, new models, marketing strategy, change in components, but you've heard these before, and before before seems not many agree with my viewpoint and thats fine, merely a discussion.

As a longtime Walther fan, I truly hope Walther is not accepting an American approach to business, and stamping their reputable name on some new pieces of junk simply to shock-appeal to some Bond fanatics-- because thats what it looks like from here. The PPX, PPQ changes, and PPK/S .22 are simply variables contributing to this notion.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
Banned

jlavallee Trouble working and playing with others.
I don't get it. A double action gun with no ability to put into SA, different magazines but no increase in capacity to justify a change, moving to a push button mag release and giving up one of the great Walther innovations.

What is there to like beyond a bit lower price? Why not just by a used P99 and have all the good stuff?
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:

I thought, "if this didn't say Walther on it, I wouldn't even consider"

The gun either has merit or it doesn't. The Walther Banner has been so cheapened that it's meaningless.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #19

96mn12 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
It's a combat handgun, not a safe queen.

Thats my P99...
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #20

lechiffre .22
Quote:
What types of pistols was Glock competing with when they made their splash? Revolvers?
Glock was not exactly "competing" in the normal sense.

Glock did not play a huge part in the transition from revolver to semi auto, that was split between S&W, Beretta, and SIG/Sauer.

Glock cleaned up on the switch from 9mm to .40 S&W. they did so with low ball / free pricing and taking those Sigs, Berettas, and S&Ws in trade. Making up for their losses by selling the trade ins.

Do the interns get Glocks ?
lechiffre is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Search tags for this page
does the walther ppx have a safety
p99 vs ppx
ppx vs p99

walther p99 vs ppx

walther ppq vs ppx
walther ppx

walther ppx review

walther ppx reviews

walther ppx safety

walther ppx safety features

walther ppx vs p99

walther ppx vs ppq

Click on a term to search for related topics.