PPS M2 Barrel Peened near feed ramp? - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree198Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #21
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
To analyze why that's happening, think about it dynamically, not statically. Neither the barrel nor the trigger bar remain stationary when the gun is fired. They change their positions relative to the frame and to each other. Probably this contact and the consequent peening is occurring when the barrel is cammed downward to unlock.

Analogous design or manufacturing tolerance bugs are seen in other guns where not enough clearance is provided in one dimension or another for the mechanism to cycle without interference. It's not uncommon. Certainly it's not desirable, but whether it's harmful or will get any worse depends on the degree of interference and whether the gun nonetheless works.

Personally my reaction would be to stone off the burrs and run another 100 rounds through it to see if it continues.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 02-12-2017 at 06:59 AM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #22

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I have checked mine out more and the peening is a result of the position the "horn" is in when the trigger is depressed while the slide reciprocates. I don't know what that "horn" is supposed to look like, but mine is definitely a bit polished from peening the side of the barrel. I will attach some pictures. I'm kinda surprised that that trigger mechanism is harder than the barrel.
What you call a "horn" is n a heavier/thicker mass than the area of the barrel lug being struck. I suspect it's the same type of steel but only Germany could address that. Mine looks similar to your but you have about 350 rounds more through yours.

I am attaching your original photo with an added arrow. It points to what should be an outer corner (shoulder) where the first concave indentation rises up to the bottom of a second concave indentation. That shoulder is well defined on my PPS but yours appears to be sheared down. That's what I noticed the first time and why I said something appeared to be damaged. If the shoulder remains then the "horn" should be held in the upper concave location which is where I believe it should be. I would still discuss it with Ft Smith to be certain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gordobarrel.jpg (134.1 KB, 217 views)
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #23

SaltyNC .22
I looked at my barrel more closely, and I was wrong about the extractor making contact. It is the trigger assembly that is making contact.

I've attached a couple of images.

Salty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrel Mark.jpg (210.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Trigger Assembly.jpg (19.9 KB, 252 views)
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #24

SaltyNC .22
When the trigger is pulled, this trigger bar rises. As the slide returns forward, the trigger bar is pressed back down, and it looks like while the bar is returning to the down position, it is making contact with the barrel. It doesn't look like it will get worse. I'm curious to hear what Walther says about it.

Salty
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #25

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
I looked at my barrel more closely, and I was wrong about the extractor making contact. It is the trigger assembly that is making contact.

Excellent photo of "lug" area. Gordo.....try to get a photo like Salty's including contrast lighting. Note the shoulder is also taking a hit when the "horn" moves into that area. Your photo makes it appear as though the shoulder is exposed to more impact?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #26

gtmtnbiker98 .22
This has been discussed here ad nauseum concerning the M1 (Classic) or whatever the hell it's being called this week. It is part of the design, like it or not. Every PPS (Classic or M2) that I've seen has it and will continue to have it. It will get to a certain point and will not worsen, it can be referred to as the surfaces mating.
gtmtnbiker98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #27

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
it can be referred to as the surfaces mating.

If that's mating I'd say one or both of the participants must be in pain!
imaoldfart and Gordo like this.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #28

Gordo .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler5566 View Post
Excellent photo of "lug" area. Gordo.....try to get a photo like Salty's including contrast lighting. Note the shoulder is also taking a hit when the "horn" moves into that area. Your photo makes it appear as though the shoulder is exposed to more impact?
I'll see what I can do about getting a better picture. Looking at Salty's picture and my barrel, they are extremely similar in location and depth.

Quote:
This has been discussed here ad nauseum concerning the M1 (Classic) or whatever the hell it's being called this week. It is part of the design, like it or not. Every PPS (Classic or M2) that I've seen has it and will continue to have it. It will get to a certain point and will not worsen, it can be referred to as the surfaces mating.
I tried to search through google results before posting this but couldn't find a keyword combo that returned anything. I was honestly hoping to find a lot of people describing it as normal so I could stop worrying about it haha. Your sample size does reassure me a good deal and ease my worry that I could experience an unscheduled disassembly of this pistol and/or my hand.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #29
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
I must have taken some Dramamine when this was being discussed here ad nauseum (sic), because this is the first I've seen or heard of it.

In any event, if the barrel and trigger are, as "part of the design", peening themselves into a fit, that does not seem like very sound engineering.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #30
LWP

LWP .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler5566 View Post
Welcome to the world of nitrocarburizing/nitriding. The switch from either stainless or heat treated alloy steel for the firearm industry has taken place over the past 5-6 years and is driven by cost reduction. Unfortunately nitriding, which is one of several processes in use, has a number of potential issues.
You didn't quite say it, but you seem to be saying barrels are not heat treated. The typical chrome-moly 4140 steel barrel (probably what Walther uses) is through-hardened to Rc 25-32 (heat treated and tempered) before it is machined. This improves the yield strength of the raw steel and gives a good compromise between toughness and brittleness. Nitriding, Melonite, etc, is a surface treatment to decrease wear in the bore and chamber. Gives a hard surface but only skin deep, also good corrosion protection.

In the case of Gordo's barrel "damage", the wear looks to be deeper than the surface treatment thus my first impression that the steel is not as hard as my M1 barrel. Of course the trigger bar would be a different alloy and probably much harder than the barrel.
MMA10mm likes this.
LWP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page
carl walther ulm/do 4.5
polished barrel for walther pps m2
pps barrel peening
pps m1 peening

pps m2 barrel peening

pps m2 barrel peening 2018
striker pistol animation
walther peening
walther pps barrel peening

walther pps m2 barrel peening

walther pps m2 feed ramp
walther pps peening forum
Click on a term to search for related topics.