PPS M2 Barrel Peened near feed ramp? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree198Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #11
LWP

LWP .22
I have this in my PPS9-M1 with many thousands of rounds, but not as severe. It looks like your M2 barrel is not as hard as my M1. You can remove any burr caused by the metal to metal contact, and maybe blend in the scalloped area to the horn pocket. (I call the mating protrusion on the trigger bar the "horn.") The horn enters the pocket as the slide returns to battery and the trigger resets, and the worn area is just the parts creating a better fit. Also you can file a small angle or radius on the horn front inside edge where you see it rubs, to reduce trauma. The action will be a little smoother.

Look here:
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...d-trigger.html

Last edited by LWP; 02-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.
LWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #12

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWP View Post
I have this in my PPS9-M1 with many thousands of rounds, but not as severe. It looks like your M2 barrel is not as hard as my M1.
Your hardness comment is probably important given the extent of the damage. Your PPS M1 is probably stainless or heat treated steel. The PPS M2 is nitride alloy steel. It could be that we are seeing a similar result of what is reported in a number of barrels now appearing on outer surfaces. Of course I am offering an opinion only.
chandler5566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
LWP

LWP .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler5566 View Post
...Your PPS M1 is probably stainless or heat treated steel. The PPS M2 is nitride alloy steel...
Stainless, I doubt. Heat treated, yes, but I could not find info on the metallurgy.

If as you say, the M2 barrel is nitride alloy steel, the only reason to use alloy steel is for the ability to heat treat it, or corrosion resistance. I have never heard of a gun barrel not heat treated.

"It looks like your M2 barrel is not as hard as my M1." Not an engineering analysis, but just what it looks like from afar. The difference in "damage" between mine and his could also be due to parts shape or tolerance stackup.
LWP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #14

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWP View Post
I have never heard of a gun barrel not heat treated.

Welcome to the world of nitrocarburizing/nitriding. The switch from either stainless or heat treated alloy steel for the firearm industry has taken place over the past 5-6 years and is driven by cost reduction. Unfortunately nitriding, which is one of several processes in use, has a number of potential issues.
chandler5566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #15

Gordo .22
I think you guys are definitely on point.

I have checked mine out more and the peening is a result of the position the "horn" is in when the trigger is depressed while the slide reciprocates. I noticed it by pulling the trigger and then locking the slide back on the first pull back of the slide. When I do this, the bar that the horn is a part of moves out to the left of the frame and further from the right wall.

Strangely, while the slide is locked back with the trigger depressed, I can reach my finger in and wiggle that bar a little bit and the trigger will move side to side along with it. If I do the same thing with the slide locked back but with the trigger forward, that bar and the trigger do not have any play and sit much closer to the right side of the frame and slide. When I have the slide off and look at the horn, it sits further away from the right wall than I am guessing most other folk's do and it has some left/right play.

I don't know what that "horn" is supposed to look like, but mine is definitely a bit polished from peening the side of the barrel. I will attach some pictures.

I'm kinda surprised that that trigger mechanism is harder than the barrel. That seems less than ideal but again, I am far from an expert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pps1.jpg (27.6 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg pps2.jpg (30.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg pps3.jpg (20.1 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by Gordo; 02-11-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #16

garrettprs .22
I have over 500 rounds through my M2 and don't have any bit of this issue (but have had my share of plenty others). Something seems wrong.
garrettprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:32 AM   #17
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Absolutely, that shouldn't be happening. If I had one like that, I'd fix it.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #18

Gordo .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Absolutely, that shouldn't be happening. If I had one like that, I'd fix it.
I have finally gotten Walther's site to load so I submitted a message about this through their contact form. I am dreading the response and what I'm sure will be a long wait to get this taken care of if they deem it an issue worth fixing, but it is what it is.

I seem to have the worst luck with anything firearm related that I buy. Over the last 6 months I have had problems with:
  • Aimpoint PRO that had to be returned and replaced.
  • Aero upper receiver that was out of spec and had to be sent in twice
  • AR LPK with out of spec parts
  • Bushnells TRS-25 that had a borked emitter
  • Sticky holster (they were great about it and replaced it within 3 days of contact)
  • Dewey cleaning rod - came with large chunk of coating sratched off.
  • AR buffer extension kit - came with spring too small to accept buffer.

These were all things from companies with decent reputations that I bought from reputable outfits. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Just last week I mentioned to a friend how grateful I was that my new pistols were problem free. Maybe that's where I blew it. I should have known better.

Sorry for the mini-rant. guess I needed to blow off some steam.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:29 AM   #19
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Holy sheet Gordo, if you didn't have 'bad' luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.

Here's hoping Walther will take care of you.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:41 AM   #20

XRing .22
It is not bad luck it is modern manufacturing methods. Modern manufacturing methods today. Manufactures take credit for parts and process being held in place (to requiremnt) so only need to assemble and perform minimal function check then ship. In the perfect world that would work . In the real world that makes the customer the beta tester. Also that is why in the firearms industry one individual gun runs perfect but another one from the same factory from another batch can be a lemon.
This method applies to all industry sectors not just firearms.
garrettprs and Fritzdecatze like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page
carl walther ulm/do 4.5
polished barrel for walther pps m2
pps barrel peening
pps m1 peening

pps m2 barrel peening

pps m2 barrel peening 2018
striker pistol animation
walther peening
walther pps barrel peening

walther pps m2 barrel peening

walther pps m2 feed ramp
walther pps peening forum
Click on a term to search for related topics.