Walther PPS M2 Recoil Spring/Guide Rod Issue? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #1

Papa Sbarro .22
Walther PPS M2 Recoil Spring/Guide Rod Issue?

I, noticed after taking my Walther PPS M2 pistol down for cleaning that the recoil spring is very close to the edge of the guide rod on the muzzle end. I do not know if this is normal or not. It may have always been like this. The springs seems to be tight on the guide rod. The pistol goes back together and seems to function fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FDA0DDE5-B8E1-4A27-8544-EFDFBF68FACD_1571539926938.jpg (224.1 KB, 38 views)
Papa Sbarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #2

1942bull .22
Your recoil spring is exactly set as intended by Walther. It is exactly like mine and 1,000 + rounds have been fired that way. Enjoy the gun, and do not overthink its parts.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #3

Papa Sbarro .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
Your recoil spring is exactly set as intended by Walther. It is exactly like mine and 1,000 + rounds have been fired that way. Enjoy the gun, and do not overthink its parts.
Thanks! I was a bit worried. I tried looking at pictures and videos to compare to but couldn’t tell. I’m really enjoying the gun. Most accurate and best feeling single stack I have shot. My first Walther as well.
1942bull likes this.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #4

Papa Sbarro .22
Before posting this thread I sent Walther an E-Mail describing what I saw. They said it is riding high, and want me to try to pull it down. Then they want me to see if there is any damage to the plastic and report back. I only have 50 rounds through the gun. Is there a problem with Walthers guide rods regarding the PPS M2? Never read anything after doing my research before buying.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #5

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Sbarro View Post
Before posting this thread I sent Walther an E-Mail describing what I saw. They said it is riding high, and want me to try to pull it down. Then they want me to see if there is any damage to the plastic and report back.
If you included the photo in your email to Walther I suggest you call them and request a replacement. They already declared an issue.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #6

Papa Sbarro .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler5566 View Post
If you included the photo in your email to Walther I suggest you call them and request a replacement. They already declared an issue.
I, will probably end up doing that and I did include a photo and video. I'm not mad, but I figured they would just have said we will send you a replacement. In the end though I want a replacement because who knows what underlying problem there is with this. If they wont send me one, I will tell them I want to buy one.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #7

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Sbarro View Post
I, will probably end up doing that and I did include a photo and video. I'm not mad, but I figured they would just have said we will send you a replacement. In the end though I want a replacement because who knows what underlying problem there is with this. If they wont send me one, I will tell them I want to buy one.

I would suggest you insist on a replacement and give no indication that you are prepared to purchase one. Remind them of their Lifetime Warranty.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #8

Papa Sbarro .22
I, tried to pull the spring back like the gun tech said to do in the email and it didn’t work. I didn’t see any damage to the end of the guide rod either. I emailed them back and will wait to see what they say. I hope they end up sending me a replacement guide rod assembly under their warranty. I attached a few more pics to get a better look.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #9

1942bull .22
I must apologise to the OP for my post#2 above. When I saw his photo it appeared OK to me (old eyes). When I read the continuation of the tread and saw his newly posted photos I enlarged them and saw that the spring is incorrectly seated. I have attached a photo of my assembly to show the difference.

Springs are heat treated and they tend to hold their configuration due to the set in the heat treated wire. No way will that spring ever stay in proper place even if it is forced into place. I wild politely demand a new one.

Mention that you posted here, and you hope to be able to inform all of us that Walther CS came through. It is a spring so a bit of pressure is warranted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E3C72AFB-8BE8-4BFC-8BC7-AB740C5AAFAE_1_201_a.jpg (135.3 KB, 23 views)

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #10

Papa Sbarro .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
I must apologise to the OP for my post#2 above. When I saw his photo it appeared OK to me (old eyes). When I read the continuation of the tread and saw his newly posted photos I enlarged them and saw that the spring is incorrectly seated. I have attached a photo of my assembly to show the difference.

Springs are heat treated and they tend to hold their configuration due to the set in the heat treated wire. No way will that spring ever stay in proper place even if it is forced into place. I wild politely demand a new one.

Mention that you posted here, and you hope to be able to inform all of us that Walther CS came through. It is a spring so a bit of pressure is warranted.
No need to apologize. The photos are hard to look at especially when trying to look at that particular area. I appreciate the help from you and the other posters above. Thank you for posting that picture. I can clearly tell what it should look like. Poor thing is I may have come across some pictures and Youtube videos where theirs are out of place as well and they don't know it. Your right that spring will not stay in place. It is formed that way and goes back to the shape it is. No matter what I did it would not stay. I'm waiting on my email from them today. I will let you guys know what they say.

Last edited by Papa Sbarro; 10-22-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS