Mags not dropping free - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

Sloth .22
Mags not dropping free

I have a problem with my PPS M2. When doing mag changes with loaded mags, the mags do not drop free. After I have loaded a round in the chamber, the top round in the mag is pulled slightly forward and keeps the mag from dropping free. I have to manually pull the mag out of the gun.

This is a real hassle in competition... Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a working fix?

I have tried polishing the underside of the slide and I'm keeping the mags fully loaded when not in use to soften the springs. Problem persists, though. With all six of my magazines, it's not just one.

Last edited by Sloth; 10-16-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo
Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-16-2019, 03:33 AM   #2

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
PPS Classic does it too.

Empty mags pop out with force...hmm..

Don't drop partial mags?

Might be an issue with a comp gun, though.

(why the hell you use a PPS in comp?!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

1942bull .22
My PPS M2 does the same thing, but I do not see it as problem. I can see where you would in a competition, but I join @Thunderbirdspot302 in questioning why you would use a PPS M2 in competition. The gun is intended to be a self defense weapon not a multipurpose gun, and certainly not a competition gun.

The gun operation is not a problem for me because abut the only time I am going to eject a partially loaded magazine except at the range when a quick drop is not an issue. In a gunfight I would be dropping an empty magazine. As you cite, they pop righteous of the gun.

Now if you look at the loaded magazine that had been ejected after a round was chambered in addition seeing the round is coming forward a bit it is also angle upward. That angled and forward position is .with prepositioning the round for chambering with the least likelihood of a failure to feed. That in turn makes the gun more reliable in raid fire operation. In short, I believe the "problem" is an asset.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #4

Sloth .22
I use the PPS in competition occationally, because I can, because it is good practice and good fun. Being at an obvious disadvantage in Production, it's rewarding to still get a decent overall placement. I really wish Classic was made into a Single-stack division... Obviously the PPS M2 not a race gun nor my main competition gun. Still, it would be nice if it would function better to this role.

No other pistol I own or have shot have this problem with mags not dropping free when there's still rounds left in them. I fail to see the benefit. It could be troublesome even in a real life situation. I can imagine the need to make a tactical reload quickly and not have to fiddle with manually pulling the mag out to make a mag change.

I'm still interested in a fix if there is one.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

jehzsa .22
Fwiw, mine doesn't do it. So I'm just taking a guess here. Time to change the mag springs? I'd experiment by changing one.

Then again, the issue might have something to do with the mag lips.
jehzsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
LWP

LWP .22
Do you see a lot of brass buildup on the loading rail? This creates friction in the forward direction on the next cartridge. Polish the loading rail down to bare metal with 400 or 600 grit silicon carbide sandpaper, and apply a dab of gun grease. My PPS.9.M1 does not scrape brass anymore and pushes the next cartridge only a little. Loaded mags drop free. Please post your results.

Last edited by LWP; 10-16-2019 at 05:09 PM.
LWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

Sloth .22
No brass buildup, and as I said in first post I have polished the underside of the slide / loading rail.

It seems it is more about the friction between the round that get fed into the chamber and the next round that creates the drag. It seems the angle of the top round in the magazine makes the rim hook and drag the next round.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #8

CA SURVIVOR .22
when you load the first round into the chamber, the next round in the mag moves forward a bit, take the mag out push the top round back, and try again, bet it'll drop out freely then.
CA SURVIVOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

jehzsa .22
While changing the recoil guide to the Lakeline, today it happened.

The explanation is straightforward. The round that I ejected was the one that I put back in the mag. The rim was slighted distorted with a bit of sharp edge caused by the extraction. That roughness made the cartridge underneath to move forward, exactly as the OP described.

Solution? Insert a fresh cartridge and leave the one extracted for the range.

HTH

EDIT: The cartridge was Norma MHP.
1942bull likes this.

Last edited by jehzsa; 10-25-2019 at 06:59 PM.
jehzsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #10

xl_target .22
Quote:
No other pistol I own or have shot have this problem with mags not dropping free when there's still rounds left in them. I fail to see the benefit. It could be troublesome even in a real life situation. I can imagine the need to make a tactical reload quickly and not have to fiddle with manually pulling the mag out to make a mag change.
My Sig P225 does the exact same thing and my Tanfoglio Series 88 does it too.

You mentioned doing a tactical reload.
If you're doing the tactical reload, wouldn't you want to retain the partial magazine instead of ejecting it onto the ground?
I consider this a plus rather than a minus.
If I'm in a gunfight, i want to hang onto every single cartridge that I have on me, rather than dumping a partial mag on the ground.
CA SURVIVOR likes this.
xl_target is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS