WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dleong
  • 1 Post By dleong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #1

dleong Unproven
Glock Striker Spring in PPS M2 (And Mini-Review)

A couple of weeks ago, I took delivery of a new PPS M2 LE from Buds Guns. It was admittedly an impulse purchase as, at $300 with free shipping and no sales tax, it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

For a $300 firearm, the PPS just oozes quality. It is extremely well constructed and fits my hand like the frame was custom molded for me. The out-of-the-box trigger pull, however, left much to be desired. I understand that a long and heavy trigger pull (mine broke consistently at about 6.5 lbs.) functions as a de facto safety on a personal defense weapon, but the trigger take-up was unacceptably rough and jerky, with the striker spring making crinkling and twanging noises as it compressed.

I extracted the striker assembly from the slide and it was immediately obvious that the striker spring was squirming and grinding against the wall of the striker channel as it compressed, resulting in the rough take-up.

I removed the striker spring and compared it with an OEM Glock striker spring; the latter was a few coils shorter, but the inner and outer diameters of both springs were practically identical. I installed the Glock spring in the PPS's striker assembly and put the gun back together. Voilą! The crinkling sound was exorcised and the grittiness virtually eliminated on the take-up. As a bonus, the trigger did lighten up a smidge, breaking now at a little under 6 lbs.

Since the spring replacement, I've shot about 150 of my handloads (using S&B and Winchester primers) with no light primer strikes. I can't vouch for the Glock spring's ability to touch off other brands of primers, but for the two that I use most in my 9mm handloads, it works.

My PPS M2 has thus far proven to be an absolute joy to shoot, being both accurate and reliable. It's strictly a range toy, since it's a little too bulky to pocket carry (a Ruger LCP in a DeSantis pocket holster currently fills that role). I checked earlier this evening and Buds was still offering the PPS M2 LE package at $300... so I ordered another one.

(The attached image shows the typical accuracy of my PPS M2. Target was shot from 20 yards standing, offhand and slowfire, using my 115 gr. subsonic target handloads.)

Edited 7/11: Added an image showing the difference in lengths between the striker springs of the PPS (top) and Glock (bottom).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPS_M2_LE_Target.jpg (375.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg PPS vs. Glock Striker Springs.jpg (271.6 KB, 18 views)
jehzsa and Redcat94 like this.

Last edited by dleong; 07-11-2019 at 08:06 AM.
dleong is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #2

jehzsa .22
I think I might go your route. Btw, Geco here and hopefully Hirtenberger (if I can find them).

Would you be so kind as to post updates as you take it out to the range?

IAT
jehzsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #3

dleong Unproven
Went to the range earlier this morning, before it got stupidly hot outside, and put another 90+ handloads (loaded using the usual mix of WSP and S&B primers) through my PPS. No light strikes or misfires of any sort with the OEM Glock striker spring. Included was a small batch of handloads incorporating the Remington No. 5½ small pistol magnum primer; the Glock striker spring lit those off with no problems too.

Since my PPS is strictly a range toy, I'm tempted to buy a "Striker Spring Pak" from Wolff to see how light of a spring I can go with on the PPS while still maintaining ignition reliability. This will have the benefit of lightening the trigger pull, but going too light will likely result in the safety dingus on the trigger not fully disengaging before the trigger moves rearward.

Meanwhile, the PPS continues to impress with its accuracy. I moved back to 24 yards for today's session and the gun was still able to return reasonably tight groups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190713_083908_Resized.jpg (401.6 KB, 14 views)
Redcat94 likes this.

Last edited by dleong; 07-14-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Misspelled "Wolff"

Old 07-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

jehzsa .22
Quote:
Remington No. 5½ small pistol magnum primer]
That's impressive. It makes me more confident that it will handle the Hirtenberger red sealant primer.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I wouldn't have thought of such a change.

However, I should warn you. Don't go too light. I owned and handled an ASAI OnePro .45 that had an out-of-the-box trigger pull of two (2) pounds. I could make it go into two-shot bursts, a few times unintentionally. I don't think you want to do that, it might result in wearing daily oranges.

Unless you really really like the color orange.
jehzsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #5

dleong Unproven
jehzsa,

You are more than welcome. The only reason I know Glock striker springs work in Walthers is that I use them in my PPQ, P99AS and TP9 (in tandem with lighter trigger return springs) to improve their trigger pulls, and it only seemed logical that it would work too in a PPS.
Old Today, 09:01 PM   #6

dleong Unproven
Put another 60+ rounds through the PPS earlier this afternoon. As usual, my subsonic target handloads had a mix of WSP and S&B primers. Again, I also shot a small batch primed with the Remington No. 5½ small pistol magnum primer. All 60+ rounds were lit off using the 6 lb. Glock striker spring with no problems. Attached is an image showing a sampling of fired cases sporting the Remington magnum primers. You can see the very positive striker hits on the primers; I'm thinking that dropping down to a 5.5 lb. striker spring will probably still maintain 100% ignition reliability while further improving the trigger pull.

The PPS continues to astound me with its inherent mechanical accuracy. The second attached image shows the best target achieved during this afternoon's range session, shooting from 24 yards standing and offhand. I often have to remind myself that this is a sub-$300 self-defense handgun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPS_Rem_5.5_SPM_Primers_20190720.jpg (502.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190720_165752_Resized.jpg (467.1 KB, 1 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS