M1 trigger doesnt reset when slide stop used - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

branflake12 .22
Question M1 trigger doesnt reset when slide stop used

Hi all.
I just got my trusty (formerly) PPS back from Mark at L&M who milled an RMSc into it and cerakoted it.

I got the slide back and thought id run some dummy rounds thru it as the whole slide was coated, include the "ramp" inside the slide.

I discovered while doing that, that if the slide is locked back, and i send it forward with the slide lock/stop (which is how i load, always have), the slide will go home, chamber a round, but the trigger does not reset. if i pull the slide back and release, it resets. If the slide does not lock back (i.e., mag is not empty) it resets.

I have another M1 (that just went back for the trigger not actually firing when pressed to the left...) and i thought I'd swap the slides and see what happens.

There (must have?) been minor changes between AC and AJ date codes. the newer slide would NOT go on the old frame until i swapped the strikers. Newer frame accepted both with either slide.

Swapping the slides in this way confirmed that its either the striker assembly or the lower. Could the lower have something bent or out of spec and that's why the new striker in either slide wouldnt go on?

I remember an issue with the early PPS slide stop, but i dont think it was this. Since its milled, i doubt walther will warranty it, even though its clearly (to me) not the slide causing the issue.

As close as i can look i see no differences, but its clearly the striker hanging up on something in the lower when attempting to install.

Help?
branflake12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

branflake12 .22
Edit: it was just a really tight fit. Both slides and striker assemblies work on either lower, but new slide+new striker > old lower is a REALLY tight fit. have to press downward a bit on the slide when take it on and off.

Sounds like a trip to the south is in order.

Last edited by branflake12; 06-28-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #3

MarkS20 .22
No expert here but I suspect the slide was completely disassembled for milling. Maybe something in the striker assembly got damaged or assembled backwards. Maybe a chip from the milling? I'd also look at the disconnecter tab.

Mark
MarkS20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #4

branflake12 .22
I am not seeing a difference in the disconnector tabs between the lowers. The non milled (i.e. totally stock) slide and the milled slide both have the same malfunction, so im starting to rule out the slide. It may have been doing this for a long time and i just wasnt dropping a locked slide as part of my practice or dry fire as i dont carry the PPS all that much.

Appreciate the input!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #5

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
What's the date code on the affected gun?

I'd call Fort Smith on Monday, rather than mix n match parts. There may well have been a running change in some process of milling, machining, and stamping of parts, they may be different.

Let us know..
Old 06-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

branflake12 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post
What's the date code on the affected gun?

I'd call Fort Smith on Monday, rather than mix n match parts. There may well have been a running change in some process of milling, machining, and stamping of parts, they may be different.

Let us know..
date code is AI.

I swapped the slides as i thought as you did, narrow down the changed part. Also if i call up walther and say "hey i had this milled and coated and now it doesnt work" they'll just point the finger at the custom work. swapping slides confirmed this wasnt the case.

Ive put them back to their original configs and am headed to the range this morning to zero the dot and new irons, and I'll see if i can duplicate the problem after some live ammo, but suspect it will be the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS