Out of box PPS M2 issues - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #1

ragg .22
Out of box PPS M2 issues

Hello ! New forum member and gun owner here.
After testing multiple options for ccw (shield, shield ez, p365, g43, g43x, g48, xds), decided to go for the PPS M2. It felt great in my hands and shot it almost as good as my full size m&p9 2.0 that my wife and I use for home defense. my wife will go for the 43x for ccw.

Soo I purchased a new PPS M2 online last week and went to the range yesterday to give it a first run. Before leaving home, I did a quick field strip and lubrication.

First 30 rounds were OK, but then started noticing the slide would not lock back. At first I thought it was my grip, either limp wrist or my thumb riding the slide lock. Double checked my grip and ran another ~30 rounds and still the slide would not lock back, even asked one of the range attendants come check with me. Then I had several FTF, 4 total, last one I noticed the slide stopped its travel about 1 inch inward from the muzzle. Checked the bullet and did not see a striker mark on all the FTF’s. I’m thinking it could be one or more of the following:
1) oiled striker - I noticed the gun had a lot of oil when I first opened the box. Might have not cleaned out any oil near the striker when I first stripped.
2) ammo - shot both Fiocchi fmj 115gr and Winchester 115gr fmj white box, same issue. But I have used Fiocchi on my m&p9 and others with no problems.
3) break-in period - does the pps m2 need a break-in?
4) magazine - mags are obviously brand new so possibly too stiff? I’ve loaded both (6 and 7 round) and will leave them there for a week.
5) grip - already checked that as mentioned before but could still be a possibility.

I did a thorough clean and lubrication per the manual when I came back from the range last night. Will go back Friday or Saturday and see what happens.

I’m excited to start carrying the pps but a bit bummed with the issues I’m having.

Is there anything else that I’ve missed? Appreciate any feedback!
ragg is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

DukeIronHand .22
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. FWIW I have never had any kind of malfunction with my PPS M2. Unfortunately these things can be difficult to diagnose online.
Maybe you’ll get some good ideas here to try otherwise I would contact Walther. Their customer service seems to be top notch.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #3

1942bull .22
I have PPS M2 with 500 rounds through it and not a single problem. You ought to call Walther CS and report the issues. Perhaps there are some owners that have reported a similar problem. You might have to send the gun to them or maybe thay have a qiick fix you can do.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
CCW Safe

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

381465 .22
A little surprised to hear this. They have had a few issues, but not reliability.
I would recommend another strip, clean, lube and careful reassembly.
Maybe something went back together a little wonky like guide rod/spring. Like someone else said, call Walther. They're very responsive.
Good luck.
ragg likes this.
381465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #5

Robinch .22
You may not want to say....but I would like to know who you bought it from on line. I have two pps m2’s.....one with 1100 round count and the other with about 450 round count. Never a problem! Would like to know what you find out.
ragg likes this.
Robinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #6

1942bull .22
@ragg, I went to the range at my LGS evening and mentioned the problem you have experienced to the one of the employees who carries a PPS M2. He took a guess at the problem based upon the types of issues. He thinks that the recoil rod is likely no properly positioned. He has had a couple folks that have had a problem with the gun and brought it to be looked at. In those cases the person has set the recoil rod incorrectly in place, that is too deep. It is supposed to sit high with no tension when installed unlike many other guns. You might check that out.
jkv45 and ragg like this.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
CCW Safe

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

ragg .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
@ragg, I went to the range at my LGS evening and mentioned the problem you have experienced to the one of the employees who carries a PPS M2. He took a guess at the problem based upon the types of issues. He thinks that the recoil rod is likely no properly positioned. He has had a couple folks that have had a problem with the gun and brought it to be looked at. In those cases the person has set the recoil rod incorrectly in place, that is too deep. It is supposed to sit high with no tension when installed unlike many other guns. You might check that out.
Many thanks for looking into this. Another member also suggested the same, so just to make sure I understand...I looked at the manual and the recoil rod seems to be sitting on the flat edge of the half-moon cut, and I say 'seems' because there is no close-up pic in the manual but you can see that there is a gap between the base of the spring and the next wall. There is a preload tension on the spring if you do it that way, manual even says the rod might bend a little. I took a photo with a detail view...manual suggests the spring sits on wall 'A' but you're saying it should be on wall 'B'?

Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

ragg .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinch View Post
You may not want to say....but I would like to know who you bought it from on line. I have two pps m2s.....one with 1100 round count and the other with about 450 round count. Never a problem! Would like to know what you find out.
Purchased it from Bud's for $270, crazy deal. I'm really hoping it's something simple like the spring assembly as some have suggested.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #9

1942bull .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragg View Post
Many thanks for looking into this. Another member also suggested the same, so just to make sure I understand...I looked at the manual and the recoil rod seems to be sitting on the flat edge of the half-moon cut, and I say 'seems' because there is no close-up pic in the manual but you can see that there is a gap between the base of the spring and the next wall. There is a preload tension on the spring if you do it that way, manual even says the rod might bend a little. I took a photo with a detail view...manual suggests the spring sits on wall 'A' but you're saying it should be on wall 'B'?

Yes, I am saying set recoil assembly at point B in your photo.

Url leads to a copy of assembly from manual and a photo of my assembly.

It seems counterintuitive compared to other guns, but here is practically no tension on the spring when it is placed correctly. It feel like it could drop out on reassembly. I think the recoil assembly may reseat itself upon reassembly slide racking. Of course since it cant be seen I am not certain.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1cbypf5ta/

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
CCW Safe

Last edited by 1942bull; 06-11-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #10

ragg .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragg View Post

Yes, I am saying set recoil assembly at point B in your photo.

Url leads to a copy of assembly from manual and a photo of my assembly.

It seems counterintuitive compared to other guns, but here is practically no tension on the spring when it is placed correctly. It feel like it could drop out on reassembly. I think the recoil assembly may reseat itself upon reassembly slide racking. Of course since it cant be seen I am not certain.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1cbypf5ta/
Thanks for the quick reply ! I’ll reassemble, test end of the week and report back.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS