WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

jonesy09 .22
Time for another Walther?

Part story, part question(s)....

Bought our first handgun in January. PPQ m2 9mm. Love it. Spent alot of time researching and handling with the misguided mission of finding a gun that the wife and I can both use for HD. As I'm 6'0" and she is 4'11" you understand the "misguided" statement. She shoots it fine and likes the trigger.
However, she can't rack it and, despite changing back straps, there is not one strap that works for us both.

We then thought a compact 9 might be the trick for her. Went and handled serveral; Shield, XDE, PPS m2, Kahr, Taurus......etc....

Turns out she can't rack a semi-auto. Period. Tried different methods and different guns. She can't do it. Not a reflection on her. She is a tough woman and earned expert on the M16 at Fort McClellan. Must just be a body mechanics issue with her size.

Side note - after shooting a friends S&W 64 we decided that is her solution and will be securing one this summer.

Now to the point. While handling the PPS m2 I had the same reaction I did shopping for the PPQ. Fit like a glove. Handles nice and, while a compact, still rides in my largish hand well. I want one.

So, as a new handgun owner, and soon to be CCW permit holder (this fall), I'm trying to figure why a guy needs two 9mm pistols. What I'm coming up with is different size guns will have different applications based on weather, occasion, conditions and so forth. Been reading up on CCW principles before I take my class and feel the winter carry vs summer carry practice has merit.

Do many permit holders use this practice? I see alot of multiple guns listed in members signatures and feel this means folks like to have options. Even if they are from the same manufacturer (I think I may be becoming a Walther fan boy).

Last edited by jonesy09; 05-28-2019 at 11:57 PM.
jonesy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-29-2019, 02:48 AM   #2

DukeIronHand .22
Guess I’ll let my signature do my talking.
Seriously though I think there are different CCW guns for different occasions based on some of the criteria you mention. Love my PPQ .45! Is it a shorts and T-shirt gun? It can be with the right holster I suppose but sometimes, again for some of the reasons you mention, may not always be the best choice for me.
So in short I have multiple guns for multiple occasions and situations. Could I make do with just one? Sure. But why? Whatever direction you decide to go just make sure you are very familiar with the pistol you carry.
My two cents...
Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 AM   #3

Jaake .22
Good luck with which ever decision you make.
You say you’re trying to figure out why a guy would need two 9mm pistols. Personally I like having more then one 9mm. I’m up to 11. The smallest is a Kimber micro 9mm and the largest is a Beretta 92. With 3 Walthers in the mix. I get to stock up on one range ammo and one carry ammo for all. There are so many options now for 9mm it can suit every taste. From a 1911 style to a a PPQ

I live in FL so there no winter carry vs summer carry for me...

As far as you’re wife’s choice, have you looked at .380’s? Mine has a Browning 1911 380 Black Label. Very easy to operate the slide and a nice little gun. But not a bargain. The S&W 380 ez is also an easy to operate slide and pretty affordable. Granted 380 ammo is more expensive then 9mm, but so it 38 special. Has she shot a double action revolver? How does she do with the heavy pull?
Jaake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #4

jonesy09 .22
Thanks for both responses. Pretty much what I suspected. I do like the 'one ammo' strategy. That's why my son and I both have .270 deer rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaake View Post
As far as youíre wifeís choice, have you looked at .380ís? Mine has a Browning 1911 380 Black Label. Very easy to operate the slide and a nice little gun. But not a bargain. The S&W 380 ez is also an easy to operate slide and pretty affordable. Granted 380 ammo is more expensive then 9mm, but so it 38 special. Has she shot a double action revolver? How does she do with the heavy pull?
She put a couple dozen rounds through it. The DA pull was manageable for her and would only improve with training. She liked it and preferred the 64 to the PPQ due to less felt recoil for her. In fact we had both at the range that day and she declined to shoot the PPQ after shooting the 64.

I had no interest in .380 after I shot my brother in law's LCP - way too tiny, uncomfortable and couldn't hit a damn thing. Ironically, I recently acquired a .380 for one reason only. $65. It's not for carry. Not the wife's HD option. $65. It's as heavy as the PPQ and almost as big with half the capacity. It's ugly, cheap and was homeless (being sold from a friend's estate). Range toy/stash gun only. And from that description it should be obvious what it is.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

spin40 .22
Racking the slide on a semi-auto is not about strength. It's about technique.

If your wife can handle the weight and feel of an S&W model 64, then I suspect she needs to apply a different slide racking technique.

The "Rack the Slide" article written by Kathy Jackson, a firearms instructor, on her blog teaches the techniques... Rack the Slide | Cornered Cat

Kathy has over 120 articles on her gun blog that you and your wife will find informative and helpful.
jkv45 and jonesy09 like this.
spin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #6

jkv45 .22
Here's some more info on the subject -

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...istol-project/
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #7

jonesy09 .22
Great article and a nice resource. Thanks!
spin40 likes this.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #8

jkv45 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy09 View Post
(SNIP)
Side note - after shooting a friends S&W 64 we decided that is her solution and will be securing one this summer.
How does she plan to use/carry the gun?

I'm not very familiar with the S&W 64, but it looks pretty hefty.

Has she looked at other revolvers? I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 that I carry, and it's moderately sized. The DA trigger isn't the easiest for some, and my son's gf had a very hard time shooting it.

There are other revolvers that are designed more for women or people with smaller hands (Ladysmith, etc) that she may want to consider.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:04 AM   #9

jonesy09 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
How does she plan to use/carry the gun?

I'm not very familiar with the S&W 64, but it looks pretty hefty.

Has she looked at other revolvers? I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 that I carry, and it's moderately sized. The DA trigger isn't the easiest for some, and my son's gf had a very hard time shooting it.

There are other revolvers that are designed more for women or people with smaller hands (Ladysmith, etc) that she may want to consider.
HD only. She has no interest in CCW at this time.

We have not looked at other revolvers. The 64 fit well in her hand, was comfortable to shoot and the felt recoil was much less for her the the PPQ.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 AM   #10

jkv45 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy09 View Post
HD only. She has no interest in CCW at this time.

We have not looked at other revolvers. The 64 fit well in her hand, was comfortable to shoot and the felt recoil was much less for her the the PPQ.

Thanks for the suggestions.
In that case the larger size of the 64 isn't going to be an issue.

One other thing to consider was if the 64 she fired had been worked on to smooth the action or lighten the trigger, a pretty common mod. You would know if you purchased one, only to find out the one she fired was much better than stock.

In the event that she eventually decides to Carry (a woman can change her mind...) being familiar with a concealable handgun she already owns would be an advantage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS