Time for another Walther? - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 PM   #21

Bikermarine .22
I do not switch out from summer to winter. I find it is better to know one pistol real well than to know 2 pistols some what. My carry is P99c AS 40 cal. I can take it apart in the dark if I had too but most likely will never need too. But what I am getting at is, you need to know the ins and outs of the one that you're going to bet your life and your family's life on.
Browning Hi Power 9mm
Colt Python 357
Beretta Bobcat 21 A 25 ACP
US Marine 68-75
Life member NRA
Life Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association
Bikermarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #22

jkv45 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikermarine View Post
I do not switch out from summer to winter. I find it is better to know one pistol real well than to know 2 pistols some what. My carry is P99c AS 40 cal. I can take it apart in the dark if I had too but most likely will never need too. But what I am getting at is, you need to know the ins and outs of the one that you're going to bet your life and your family's life on.
I don't switch either.

I was carrying a .357 revolver, but didn't really enjoy shooting it. Changed to a .45 M&P 2.0 Compact and shoot it a lot more. I can shoot a hundred .45s where a dozen .357s and I was done having fun. Really felt I wanted to get as much time with my carry gun as possible - so I'm very familiar with it when the SHTF.

It is a bit of a lump to carry IWB, but I just wear a T-shirt and a short sleeve button-up over the top and it's all good. It's worth it for me to carry a gun that I'm comfortable/familiar with and is easy to manage with full-power loads.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #23

muckaleewarrior71 .22
I have no problem changing carry guns. It's not rocket science. I am carrying my PPS M2 now and giving my P99c (workhorse) a much needed rest.

Happy shooting!

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #24

jkv45 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckaleewarrior71 View Post
I have no problem changing carry guns. It's not rocket science. I am carrying my PPS M2 now and giving my P99c (workhorse) a much needed rest.

Happy shooting!
I guess some of us just like the KISS principle when dealing with such things.

If you are comfortable changing that's fine.

I'm not, so I keep it simple. It's one less variable if under extreme stress in a life-and-death situation.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #25

muckaleewarrior71 .22
Maybe if one had a safety that I had to disengage before firing I could agree where you are coming from. But I generally carry the two I mentioned and they are both easy point and shoot guns that I shoot well and have done so for over three years. But I can only speak for myself.

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:07 AM   #26

CreekerShooter .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy09 View Post
Part story, part question(s)....

Bought our first handgun in January. PPQ m2 9mm. Love it. Spent alot of time researching and handling with the misguided mission of finding a gun that the wife and I can both use for HD. As I'm 6'0" and she is 4'11" you understand the "misguided" statement. She shoots it fine and likes the trigger.
However, she can't rack it and, despite changing back straps, there is not one strap that works for us both.

We then thought a compact 9 might be the trick for her. Went and handled serveral; Shield, XDE, PPS m2, Kahr, Taurus......etc....

Turns out she can't rack a semi-auto. Period. Tried different methods and different guns. She can't do it. Not a reflection on her. She is a tough woman and earned expert on the M16 at Fort McClellan. Must just be a body mechanics issue with her size.

Side note - after shooting a friends S&W 64 we decided that is her solution and will be securing one this summer.

Now to the point. While handling the PPS m2 I had the same reaction I did shopping for the PPQ. Fit like a glove. Handles nice and, while a compact, still rides in my largish hand well. I want one.

So, as a new handgun owner, and soon to be CCW permit holder (this fall), I'm trying to figure why a guy needs two 9mm pistols. What I'm coming up with is different size guns will have different applications based on weather, occasion, conditions and so forth. Been reading up on CCW principles before I take my class and feel the winter carry vs summer carry practice has merit.

Do many permit holders use this practice? I see alot of multiple guns listed in members signatures and feel this means folks like to have options. Even if they are from the same manufacturer (I think I may be becoming a Walther fan boy).
Many of us just like to shoot and carry more than one kind of gun.

Getting back to your wife's choice; The PK380 is a great gun and very easy to rack. You can buy Buffalo Bore or Underwood Ammo in +P which is 300 ft/lbs; the same as 9mm.
Robinch likes this.
CreekerShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #27

jonesy09 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikermarine View Post
But what I am getting at is, you need to know the ins and outs of the one that you're going to bet your life and your family's life on.
I completely understand that point of view and it makes sense to me. Thanks for the input.

As a new(ish) handgun shooter I think I could adapt to a slightly different platform. I've heard it takes 3k to 5k repetitions of a particular muscle memory movement to become proficient. I have 450 rounds through the PPQ and maybe a couple hundred more dry fire shots at this point. Feeling pretty good with it but know I have alot more to do.

The grip on the PPS is different (of course smaller) but ergos are almost as nice - the reason for getting hot on this pistol. I'll have to rent one to know for sure.

Great information all. Thanks.
jonesy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #28

Will Beararms .22
Love hearing these stories. I was introduced to firearms at an early age and more specifically to Walther. On mom's side, folks came here from Germany starting in 1874 until 1940. My advice is you can never own too many gun safes.

Every sane, qualified, law-abiding person should be armed and should be trained and train frequently. When seconds are life and death, 911 is minutes away.

Last edited by Will Beararms; 06-26-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Will Beararms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #29

Will Beararms .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy09 View Post
I completely understand that point of view and it makes sense to me. Thanks for the input.

As a new(ish) handgun shooter I think I could adapt to a slightly different platform. I've heard it takes 3k to 5k repetitions of a particular muscle memory movement to become proficient. I have 450 rounds through the PPQ and maybe a couple hundred more dry fire shots at this point. Feeling pretty good with it but know I have alot more to do.

The grip on the PPS is different (of course smaller) but ergos are almost as nice - the reason for getting hot on this pistol. I'll have to rent one to know for sure.

Great information all. Thanks.
One day at a time. Enjoy the journey.
Will Beararms is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS