Why hasn't the PPS gained the popularity of the Shield? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #1

river251 .22
Why hasn't the PPS gained the popularity of the Shield?

I am new to pistols and chose a PPS M2 because it felt great in my hand. However, I now realize it has not captured the market or interest that the Shield has. There are limited sights and holsters, and no triggers or trigger modifiers, mag extensions, and generally not much available for the PPS. The Shield, and the M&Ps overall, seem to have captured "the alternative to Glock" niche, which is huge, and results in lots of aftermarket upgrades, parts, modifiers, etc.

The PPS seems like a higher quality, smoother shooting, better pistol Why do you think they have failed to capture the market that the Shield has?

The Active Self Protection guy, John, had a poll and about 2/3 - 3/4 carried Glock, and the rest carried M&P, except everything else amounted to 5%. This reflects what I see on the internet.

Thank you for your thoughts, I'm quite baffled by this.

Jim
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #2

Baldie2u .22
At the time the Shield came out S&W were the agents for selling the PPS. I have often wondered if they used the PPS as a base for the Shield and then Americans being Americans they went for the Shield as a home grown product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Baldie2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #3

wormraper .22
1. S&W was first on the scene in the U.S. with the single stack compacts. They gained their market share much like how glock gained their share by beating the rest of the pack.

2. Price, back then the PPS was was $500+ and the shield $400 and less.

3. The Shield is a damn robust little gun, the difference between it and the PPS is not that great, if there's any real quality difference at all.

4. It's less complex. The M1 was like most german guns, overly built and it had the paddle release which is not WIDELY liked (many of us like the paddle, but the general u.s. populace is used to thumb buttons)

5. bore axis is pretty high, I notice more muzzle flip with the PPS's that I've owned than the 9mm shield and so has several other people. The slimmer (depth wise) slide is more visually appealing and visual appeal to most rubes is almost more important than actual functionality

6. It's gotten a bad rap the last 2 years due to the barrel peening issue. I've heard it discussed on forums all over, as well as even IN a local gunshop once.
wormraper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #4

Baldie2u .22
There wasn’t a small single stack comparable to the PPS in thickness when it came out, yes S&W had/has a well deserved reputation but they had nothing comparable to the PPS when they became Walther distributor. Call me cynical but if you were to lay the Shield on top of the PPS it would be amazing to see their similarities! I do not say the Shield is a bad gun just in my belief they used the PPS as the mould.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Baldie2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #5

marc82much .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
I am new to pistols and chose a PPS M2 because it felt great in my hand. However, I now realize it has not captured the market or interest that the Shield has. There are limited sights and holsters, and no triggers or trigger modifiers, mag extensions, and generally not much available for the PPS. The Shield, and the M&Ps overall, seem to have captured "the alternative to Glock" niche, which is huge, and results in lots of aftermarket upgrades, parts, modifiers, etc.

The PPS seems like a higher quality, smoother shooting, better pistol Why do you think they have failed to capture the market that the Shield has?

The Active Self Protection guy, John, had a poll and about 2/3 - 3/4 carried Glock, and the rest carried M&P, except everything else amounted to 5%. This reflects what I see on the internet.

Thank you for your thoughts, I'm quite baffled by this.

Jim
Maybe the same reason McDonalds sells so many hamburgers. Their burgers are terrible and no one can argue it. In every survey they are last in food quality, yet sell billions. No accounting for taste. I wouldn't eat there on a bet (their fries are good, though!). Would not have a Glock. I have CZ (several) Sig, Walther. I lived in Milwaukee and bought three motorcycles. Two BMWs and one Yamaha. No Harley. Why does Harley sell so many bikes when they can't touch BMW in fit and finish, style, ergonomics, technology, looks....?
Jan whitaker likes this.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

wormraper .22
Personally I find the shield the better gun out of the big 5 single stacks
wormraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Supporting Member

Grunt67 .22
Partly due to media exposure, in my opinion. Look at the exposure the gun mags give to S&W, as compared to Walther. S&W has been around in this country longer than Walther.
Both are good guns, personally, I have always preferred Walther. Not all like the same thing. That's why both are still on the market.

Until Walther decided to put more into advertising, that's not going to change.
Grunt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

Tenbones Unproven
I think you answered your own question in the first paragraph of your post.

Walther has not done a very good job of marketing the PPS.
Tenbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #9

Chief1297 .22
I held both and liked the walther ergos better. I am not brand loyal either so.....every one is different...
Chief1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #10

Doogie85 .22
I suspect the answer is marketing and exposure. Pretty much all the gun shops in my area have Shields while it is quite rare to come across a Walther of any flavor. Being a fan of Walther pistols I had to search to find a physical store where I could fondle a Walther and there are many gun shops, both locals and big box stores, in my area.
I own both and like both. I just think that Walther is not nearly as well known or available as S&W.
Doogie85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS