Why hasn't the PPS gained the popularity of the Shield? - Page 7 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #61

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrian View Post
Not to burst any bubbles here, but watch the P365 rise to stardom. IF the kinks are really worked out, and it looks positive, that gun with 10+1 at the same size as most with 6/7+1 and 12+1 almost as short with a 1" width, great trigger and excellent sights, it will eventually beat out the competition - and for good reason. The trigger MIGHT be too short and light for my carry tastes.

If someone would design a DA/SA gun with paddles and this size and capacity, it would be the PERFECT CC gun.
You mean like the Walther P99C AS -- with its paddle mag release; 10+1 capacity using the flush magazines, decocker, and striker-fired system that allows for both a DA/SA functionality at the trigger? It's only been around for 15 years (introduced in 2004).

While the P99C AS is a few hairs wider than the P365, I would take it every day over the P365 because the P99C AS's trigger is fantastic. The only reasons my P99C isn't my EDC (I prefer a PPS Classic) is because the added weight of 4 more rounds is something I notice when carrying for 12+ hours (meaning I'm good with 6+1 in my PPS Classic) … and because I'd want to carry the P99C AS in SA mode and doing so requires pulling the trigger back slightly (until it locks into SA mode) when one does not intend to shoot/destroy something … and the firearm instructor in me bristles at the poor safety implications of that.
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #62

Balor .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
While the P99C AS is a few hairs wider than the P365, I would take it every day over the P365 because the P99C AS's trigger is fantastic. The only reasons my P99C isn't my EDC (I prefer a PPS Classic) is because the added weight of 4 more rounds is something I notice when carrying for 12+ hours (meaning I'm good with 6+1 in my PPS Classic) and because I'd want to carry the P99C AS in SA mode and doing so requires pulling the trigger back slightly (until it locks into SA mode) when one does not intend to shoot/destroy something and the firearm instructor in me bristles at the poor safety implications of that.
Point #1: I find it very positive that, as a firearms instructor, you propagate good safety practice on a public forum. I too have taken the trigger back into SA, but only in the stall, with the pistol pointing at the target - I wouldn't do it otherwise.

Point #2: I have both pistols that you refer too, namely the P99c and the PPS (Classic). Both allow a certain amount of flexibility with regard to capacity. In the case of the PPS, you can take the 6-round flush or the 7 or 8 round mags with the finger support. My hands, although lean, are large in girth (XL-glove size). I feel much more comfortable (and shoot better) with the finger support. The P99c also allows some flexibility in that you can take the flush 10-round, the 10-round with finger support, or the full-size 15-round (if you use the extension sleeve).

An interesting fact is that the PPS Classic, unloaded and in its maximum configuration (i.e. with the 8-round magazine) weighs EXACTLY the same as the P99c unloaded in its minimum configuration (i.e. with the 10-round flush magazine). In both cases the weight (with the large backstrap) is 621gm (21.9oz). To put it another way - the difference in weight between the P99c with flush magazine, fully loaded (10+1) and the PPS Classic with the 8-round magazine, fully loaded (8+1) is only the weight of two cartridges.

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choice!

Balor
surrealone likes this.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:03 AM   #63

wbrian .22
I got a PPS Classic because i find the p99c a tad too thick. A .9 inch wide gun is a whole nother animal.

Again I’d LOVE to see a 1 or .9 inch gun have the P99 trigger.

keep in mind that the P365 is lighter with 10 rounds than the pps unloaded, or at least close to the same weight.
wbrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #64

surrealone .38
Quote:
I got a PPS Classic because i find the p99c a tad too thick. A .9 inch wide gun is a whole nother animal.

Again Id LOVE to see a 1 or .9 inch gun have the P99 trigger.

keep in mind that the P365 is lighter with 10 rounds than the pps unloaded, or at least close to the same weight.
The width is what prompted me to pick up the PPS Classic, as well. Back in 2010 I had to deep conceal for work reasons (which also precluded me from dressing around the gun). I'm both short and slight of build -- meaning making something as chunky as a G19 disappear on me was tough. The PPS Classic fit the bill, and it disappeared more readily than the P99C.

Today, things are different. I can OC much of the time and dress around the gun in times where I can't OC, so thinness is less important to me than it once was.
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #65

wbrian .22
Yes - I think the P99C is a cool and useful gun.

But wow - just handled the P365XL. 12 rounds in a SLIM gun. Heck the regular 365 with 12 rounds is like a Kahr P9 with 7. And its just as light. .9 inches at the slide, and frame.

I still think the PPS Classic is way cool and about the coolest slim gun, and cooler than the PPS M2. Also, I think having the slimmer grip is nice - and for such as slim grip it is easy to shoot.

And having the rail is better. They should bring BACK the Classic!!!!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #66

Kar98 .22
Quote:

But wow - just handled the P365XL. 12 rounds in a SLIM gun. Heck the regular 365 with 12 rounds is like a Kahr P9 with 7. And its just as light. .9 inches at the slide, and frame.

I still think the PPS Classic is way cool and about the coolest slim gun, and cooler than the PPS M2. Also, I think having the slimmer grip is nice - and for such as slim grip it is easy to shoot.

Well you are in LUCK today!

For the low low price of $289.00!!! you too could own a Walther PPS Classic!
(in .40, and with a Mass. compliant trigger)

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/842819956
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #67

wbrian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Quote:

Well you are in LUCK today!

For the low low price of $289.00!!! you too could own a Walther PPS Classic!
(in .40, and with a Mass. compliant trigger)

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/842819956
.40 - too bad
Kar98 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS