Why hasn't the PPS gained the popularity of the Shield? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #11

wturri78 .22
Once something has attained market leadership through whatever process, unseating or even encroaching upon it requires products that are game changing in some way. Otherwise momentum is just too hard to overcome. I like the PPS M2 better than the Shield, but not THAT much better. I can't say the PPS has anything that is fundamentally an improvement over the Shield. And honestly the Shield is a really, really good product.

The only real game changer has been the P365. The capacity blew everyone's mind. I'm sure in time others will emulate it, but I will bet that over time Sig will become the one to beat. Gun to gun, there's nothing especially remarkable about the Sig really. It's a micro 9 striker gun. Big deal, but the capacity sets it apart.

Walther to their credit changed the game by being first to market with an RDS equipped single stack. The price point on the RMS-C model is awesome. To me it's game changing because the RDS is so much better than irons. Personally I'll take 8+1 with the RDS over 12+1 with irons because I'm so much more likely to be accurate under stress with those 9 rounds.
wturri78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-14-2018, 05:20 AM   #12

Jaake .22
I’ve noticed that Walther doesn’t get the attention or love that other manufacturers get. “Gun guys” know and respect them but I think to the general public buying a gun the first time is usually going to be a Glock, M&P or Ruger.

Even the so called YouTube experts, which I’ve watched literally hundreds of videos of review the pps and even the ppq and rave about the ergonomics, the trigger, accuracy, build quality. Then when they pick a best this gun or a best that gun they forget all about the Walther.
Jaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #13

leadcounsel .22
1. Competitive advantages. SW is an American company that already had deep roots in the LEO community with the M&P duty and carry guns. They had edged out other companies like HK, Sig, and Glock due primarily to lower costs and American company.

It was natural that the Shield would make the same inroads being the same basic platform in a single stack, with similar ergos and controls.

2. Marketing. Period.

3. Cost. Retail on the SW is lower than PPS, and that sells guns.

As for holsters, I might be wrong but I think the PPS mod 2 shares the same dimensions with the Shield and therefore same holsters (at least leather). I have a Shield holster that is a perfect fit for my PPS m2.

I actually prefer the gen 1 PPS due to the ergos, styling, and paddles. And no peening. And no recall. YMMV.
leadcounsel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2018, 05:43 AM   #14

wormraper .22
I'm with you on the PPS classic. I wish I had grabbed one before they went out of stock instead of the two M2's I owned and sold
leadcounsel likes this.
wormraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #15

Baldie2u .22
I am convinced the Shield was modeled on the PPS, remember S&W were the original distributors of the PPS in the US!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Baldie2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #16

DukeIronHand .22
If I was King For A Day Walther’s Marketing and PR Department would be out of a job.
They could be hardly be doing a worse job.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #17

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
2. Price, back then the PPS was was $500+ and the shield $400 and less.
Back when, exactly? I'm asking because I paid nearly $700 for my PPS in the 2009-2010 timeframe. $500 would have been a much easier pill to swallow -- but I don't recall that sort of pricing until a number of years later … AFTER single stacks became substantially more popular than they were in the 2007-2010 timeframe (i.e. after some real competition appeared in the single stack space).
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member

Last edited by surrealone; 05-05-2019 at 10:52 PM.
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #18

Bassackwards .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
Back when, exactly? I'm asking because I paid nearly $700 for my PPS in the 2009-2010 timeframe. $500 would have been a much easier pill to swallow -- but I don't recall that sort of pricing until a number of years later … AFTER single stacks became substantially more popular than they were in the 2007-2010 timeframe (i.e. after some real competition appeared in the single stack space).
The + after the $500 covers 700. And it's a valid point. When I first held a PPS a few A years ago it was a used (like new) gun in pawn shop and priced at $499. A new Shield was quite a bit cheaper. Neither was worth it to me then. Last year I got a windfall $$ and started looking again. Grabbed an M2 LE for $330. But by then the Walther was so far behind in popularity there was no catching up. Love my PPS though.
Bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #19

1942bull .22
I bought my PPS M2 just two weeks ago. In deciding what single stack 9 mm to buy I considered manufacturer reputation, warranty, size, capacity and weight. The two guns were equal in every respect except weight with the PPS slightly heavier. I rented both at mt LGS’ Range, and found the two equal in accuracy. But, the PPS had less recoil due to its increased weight. I also saw that the slide rails on the PPS were heavier and longer. I MUCH preferred the ergonomics of the PPS, and that is important to me. So I was leaning to the Walther.

Then I watched YouTube comparative reviews of the two guns. I discriminate among reviews by considering the reviewers’ skills and knowledge. It is not too hard to weed out the bad and find the very good. Out of nine comparative reviews the PPS M2 won out as preferable. The other one was a tie. The wins were based on feet recoil (weight) and ergonomics.

I did not consider aftermarket accessories. I think if you do not like a trigger do not buy the gun. I do not buy guns to rebuild them. As for holsters I found dozens of Kydex and leather holsters for the PPS M2. I bought both IWB and OWB once I purchased the gun. Now two weeks later with 150 rounds through the gun I have to say I like it better than any gun I have owned. It is a damn good gun, and that is what I care about.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #20

Kar98 .22
The only aftermarket accessories you'll need are decent sights and a holster 😉
Baldie2u likes this.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS