Rescinding my belief in Magguts for PPS M2 :( - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #11

Cause .22
I read this thread when it first came out, and already had two kits on the way for my 7 round magazines. I have 4 7 round mags, two for EDC carry and two for range use. I installed the kits into the range magazines when they arrived. I intended to take them to the range and put them through their paces before deciding if I would make them part of my EDC. About that time the PPS recall happened and my gun was affected by the recall, so I send it in.

This morning I got the idea to go check my maggot magazines, since they had been sitting loaded for about 2 weeks and had only been in the mag well of the gun once to check to see if they fit with the slide locked forward. Both mags appeared to have the rounds positioned correctly. I placed slight downward pressure on the rounds to simulate the position of rounds with a closed slide and Viola exactly the same reported issue with the 8 round magazines. Spring frozen in place, strip top round, remaining rounds rattle around in place and fall out, after 3 rounds fell out of the magazine the follower slammed up and seemed to position the rounds correctly. I started to hand strip the magazine to see if they would all feed out. The next 2 round fed correctly, the next round was blocked by the now vertical bottom round at the front of the magazine.

I tried for about 20 minutes and could not get either of the two kits to replicate this again. Needless to say, these are going to remain range mags only, it I donít send them back. While I really like the idea behind these kits, the reliability or them is highly suspect when they have been in a stand-by mode for any period of time.
MMA10mm likes this.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #12

wturri78 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cause View Post
I read this thread when it first came out, and already had two kits on the way for my 7 round magazines. I have 4 7 round mags, two for EDC carry and two for range use. I installed the kits into the range magazines when they arrived. I intended to take them to the range and put them through their paces before deciding if I would make them part of my EDC. About that time the PPS recall happened and my gun was affected by the recall, so I send it in.

This morning I got the idea to go check my maggot magazines, since they had been sitting loaded for about 2 weeks and had only been in the mag well of the gun once to check to see if they fit with the slide locked forward. Both mags appeared to have the rounds positioned correctly. I placed slight downward pressure on the rounds to simulate the position of rounds with a closed slide and Viola exactly the same reported issue with the 8 round magazines. Spring frozen in place, strip top round, remaining rounds rattle around in place and fall out, after 3 rounds fell out of the magazine the follower slammed up and seemed to position the rounds correctly. I started to hand strip the magazine to see if they would all feed out. The next 2 round fed correctly, the next round was blocked by the now vertical bottom round at the front of the magazine.

I tried for about 20 minutes and could not get either of the two kits to replicate this again. Needless to say, these are going to remain range mags only, it I donít send them back. While I really like the idea behind these kits, the reliability or them is highly suspect when they have been in a stand-by mode for any period of time.
Sorry to hear you've had the same problem, but glad if my post was able to alert anyone. Especially since only a few months before, on this forum, I was quite vocal in supporting Magguts as being reliable based only on my experience with the 6 round magazine (which has been flawless from day one).

So far their responses to me have been "We can't replicate the issue" and "Ensure you've installed according to the video -- it should function flawlessly." They have offered to refund me.

I do hope they examine and fix this issue, as it is definitely systemic. The explanation about the follower getting jammed beneath the metal magazine, down inside the plastic grip extension, sounds spot on.
wturri78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:26 AM   #13

wturri78 .22
My email to Magguts

I sent the following to them this morning. I hope this will lead to a recall of the spring kits. Walther could be blamed for cheaping out on manufacturing their extended magazines, but on the other hand, it's up to 3rd parties to accommodate that. I hope there's a favorable response.

--------------------------------------------------------

I have since found through communications on Walther forums that other people are experiencing exactly the same problem with both the 7 and 8 round magazines.

One poster wrote:

This morning I got the idea to go check my Magguts magazines. Both mags appeared to have the rounds positioned correctly. I placed slight downward pressure on the rounds to simulate the position of rounds with a closed slide and Viola exactly the same reported issue with the 8 round magazines. Spring frozen in place, strip top round, remaining rounds rattle around in place and fall out, after 3 rounds fell out of the magazine the follower slammed up and seemed to position the rounds correctly. I started to hand strip the magazine to see if they would all feed out. The next 2 round fed correctly, the next round was blocked by the now vertical bottom round at the front of the magazine.

I tried for about 20 minutes and could not get either of the two kits to replicate this again.

Another posted what sounds like a very reasonable explanation for this rare but very real problem -- having to do with the thin Magguts follower becoming stuck beneath the metal frame of the magazine, inside the hollow plastic magazine extenders.

It's the interface between the follower and the bottom edge of the magazine. The 7-rd and 8-rd magazines do not have longer steel bodies; the plastic floorplate is simply longer and hollowed out. Thus, when the follower goes down deeper, as with the Mag-Guts, the opportunity for the follower to get caught under the lip where the metal body's side-wall ends, is causing this. Definitely a design flaw of the magazine.

I believe the explanation here is clear. Many other brands use longer magazine bodies for extended magazines, but Walther here has not, choosing instead to hollow grip extenders. Your follower is most definitely getting stuck down inside that extension and under the metal frame of the magazine. The tall plastic follower Walther uses in the stock magazines evidently is tall enough not to have this problem.

I'm not a machinist and don't know what a fix would be -- perhaps tapering or rounding the follower in your kit to prevent this? But this problem I filmed in the video is most definitely real, it's happening to other customers, and I do hope you'll be able to recall the spring kits and redesign around the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------
Cause likes this.
wturri78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #14

Holzauge .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wturri78 View Post
Walther could be blamed for cheaping out on manufacturing their extended magazines, but on the other hand, it's up to 3rd parties to accommodate that.
--------------------------------------------------------

Definitely a design flaw of the magazine.

Well, I hope you get an answer to your problem. There seems to be a little finger pointing at Walther for "flawed" magazines. The magazines work fine as is, with the only problem being the addition of the Magguts. It's not Walther's responsibility to design and utilize a magazine to make it easy for third party vendors to have their product work.

I still think it's a lot of money for ONE round, but it's your money, nonetheless.

Don
Holzauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #15

ragg .22
Anyone with updates on this topic? Curious to see if magguts has fixed the issue.
ragg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page

mag guts for walther pps m2

magguts kits for walther pps m2

magguts pps

magguts pps m2 2

magguts pps m2 problems

magguts pps m2 review

pps magguts

walther pps m2 8 round magazine

walther pps m2 magguts

Click on a term to search for related topics.