WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 06:14 AM   #31

M203swede .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1sof View Post
EGW has finally released an optic mount just for the PPQ .22. Here is the link: Vortex Viper/Venom (fits Burris FastFire and Docter) For Walther PPQ .22LR: EGW Gun Parts
Thanks for the heads up! This will fit both 4" and 5" PPQ 22lr I hope.
M203swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #32

banditrvp .22
Here's another red dot mounting alternative using an Outter Impact Smith & Wesson M&P Pistol Red Dot Adapter/Mount- M.R.A. I used it to mount a Holosun HS507C which required some 6-40 x 3/8 screws (now also available from Outer Impact).

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...q-m2-22-a.html
banditrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #33

Balor .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditrvp View Post
Here's another red dot mounting alternative using an Outter Impact Smith & Wesson M&P Pistol Red Dot Adapter/Mount- M.R.A. I used it to mount a Holosun HS507C which required some 6-40 x 3/8” screws (now also available from Outer Impact).

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...q-m2-22-a.html

I wanted to order the EGW product until I found this on their website:

International Shipping - AS OF APRIL 1, 2019 WE ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO SHIP INTERNATIONALLY.

On looking further, I found your thread with your excellent picture series (Well done!). I ordered directly from Outer Impact, who had no qualms about shipping to me.

The package arrived in April of this year and I quickly found, to my disappointment, that the dovetail was too large to fit the slot on my PPQ .22 (4"). The part measured 11.67mm from front to back, while the original LPA dovetail measured 11.47mm. As I was preoccupied with other things at the time, I put the pistol aside and didn't fit the dovetail until very recently (I use several other pistols).

It took a bit of judicious filing to get the dovetail to fit, but the advantage of this is that the part now fits very tightly.

The second problem which arose is that the slide has a different height fore and aft of the dovetail slot (aft is lower). A result of this was that when the mounting screws were screwed down tight, there was an upwards tilt of the mounting plate, which could be seen when the slide was held up sideways to a light source. I looked around the house for shims to fill the gap at the rear of the slide and could find only an aluminium shim with a thickness of 0.5mm. When placed in the gap, this still showed some air. The feeler gauge revealed 0.7mm to be just about right. I then slid a disused credit card (0.77mm) into the gap and tightened down the screws. When held sideways to the light, there was now a very slight downwards tilt to the mounting plate and I considered this to be too small to be relevant. From the credit card I then cut a rectangle measuring 15mm wide and 12mm front to back, placed it in the gap and mounted the plate and the optic (a Vortex Venom) without using loctite.

Off to the range for a session of 150 rounds, the main purpose of which was to see if the extra weight had a negative effect on the cycling when using standard velocity ammunition (I don't like using Mini-Mags with this pistol). In the entire session I had one failure to feed and one stovepipe. I returned the next day, having done only a very perfunctory cleaning in the meantime, but still no loctite. Again 150 rounds, but this time bracing my shoulder against the partition in the stall. I was very surprised to see how accurate the pistol was, although I wasn't testing accuracy and I hadn't made any adjustments to the optic. I had merely one failure to lock back on an empty magazine. Two further tests followed, 130 and 120 rounds respectively, using a pistol bench-rest to test accuracy while reducing shooter error. These produced a total of five failures to feed and one failure to extract. The master target of the last test (120 rounds) is shown below (Target #1, ISSF 25m Precision Pistol Target - test done at 10m). As can be seen, the accuracy is more than acceptable for this class of pistol.

I then took everything apart, used solvent to clean all male and female threads, as well as the mating surfaces, and used 180 sandpaper to “key” both sides of the plastic shim, in case I need to glue it later. Then on with the adapter plate and optic, with blue loctite on all four screws.

Off to the range again, with the now fully-assembled and loctited combination. This time 100 rounds at 10 meters from a bench-rest. Only one failure to extract and the accuracy was similar, even slightly better (Target #2 below).

I find the few functional disturbances to be acceptable in a pistol which was purchased for training (I have two PPQs in 9mm) and which has fired just over 5,000 rounds without a change of recoil spring. The above tests (total: 650 rounds) indicate that the extra weight on the slide does not appear to have a negative effect on the cycling when using standard velocity munition.

Conclusion: The Outer Impact adapter plate for the S&W M&P can be recommended for the Walther PPQ .22, but the buyer should consider the reservations outlined above (i.e. you might have to file the dovetail and shim the gap between the mounting plate and the rear of the slide).

Did I state anywhere above that the pistol is now a lot more fun to shoot?

Balor

Target#1:

Target #2:

Last edited by Balor; 11-11-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Wrong data
Balor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #34

M203swede .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1sof View Post
EGW has finally released an optic mount just for the PPQ .22. Here is the link: Vortex Viper/Venom (fits Burris FastFire and Docter) For Walther PPQ .22LR: EGW Gun Parts
Got this and the other EGW mount mentioned in this thread. None of them fits my PPQ 5 inch 22lr. They both get stuck, real hard jus after a bit. Not even half is possible to slide in. Should I bang it in place or sand it down. It is completely stuck at the position I mentioned. Sand (if so where) or bang? I dont have a push tool.

Or would it work with a rear sight pusher tool?

Best regards.

Last edited by M203swede; 11-15-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #35

Balor .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by M203swede View Post
Got this and the other EGW mount mentioned in this thread. None of them fits my PPQ 5 inch 22lr. They both get stuck, real hard jus after a bit. Not even half is possible to slide in. Should I bang it in place or sand it down. It is completely stuck at the position I mentioned. Sand (if so where) or bang? I dont have a push tool.

Or would it work with a rear sight pusher tool?

You do NOT need a sight pusher for this......and you don't need to panic! It's a simple job, but if you don't have the experience and the tools it would be better to hand it over to someone who can deal with it (it doesn't have to be a gunsmith).

The first thing you'll need is a punch tool to knock the dovetail back out of the slot. Then try to insert it again from the opposite side. I got my dovetail to fit by filing the front (forward-looking) wedge. You need to be careful to keep the angle of the wedge face and especially careful not to remove too much material. File just a little bit at a time and keep trying the piece in the slot. There should be a fairly stiff resistance and you'll need a mallet to tap the dovetail into place. If you can push it in with your fingers then you've filed too much and the part will probably be ruined. It's unlikely that the manufacturer will replace the dovetail only.

As I said above, if you're not confident about doing this, get someone with experience to do it.

Good luck!

Balor
mytquin likes this.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #36

JackSprat .22
The 1.62 MB picture tells the whole story. Adapters that fit into rear sight cuts are a straight-forward way to have a red-dot sight, but often the sight ends up being uncomfortably high and results in difficulty finding the dot. Thanks to VTHokie for the picture.
JackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #37

M203swede .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor View Post
You do NOT need a sight pusher for this......and you don't need to panic! It's a simple job, but if you don't have the experience and the tools it would be better to hand it over to someone who can deal with it (it doesn't have to be a gunsmith).

The first thing you'll need is a punch tool to knock the dovetail back out of the slot. Then try to insert it again from the opposite side. I got my dovetail to fit by filing the front (forward-looking) wedge. You need to be careful to keep the angle of the wedge face and especially careful not to remove too much material. File just a little bit at a time and keep trying the piece in the slot. There should be a fairly stiff resistance and you'll need a mallet to tap the dovetail into place. If you can push it in with your fingers then you've filed too much and the part will probably be ruined. It's unlikely that the manufacturer will replace the dovetail only.

As I said above, if you're not confident about doing this, get someone with experience to do it.

Good luck!

Balor
Yep, got it in place. The screw to fixate it with is a bit worn. What is that screw called and what size is it? Want to get a replacement.

Thanks for the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ