WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #71

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
Well, my slide assy and frame are mismatched serial numbers so I doubt itíll be under warranty.

Iím going to try the Sprinco 87886 safety plunger spring for $11 shipped to see if it smooths out the take-up. Itís funny that people describe the take-up as gritty because it doesnít feel like thereís sand in there. Itís just that the trigger travel doesnít feel consistent and almost tricks me into thinking Iím at the sear when itís actually fighting the safety plunger.
First, I suggest you call Ft Smith and verify there's an issue involving serial numbers. I suggest that because when Ft Smith exchanges a barrel the serial number is almost always different....mine is.

Next.....did you see OF's post #64? You should read his link because there are several locations including the striker safety & safety spring that can/will cause that gritty feel.

Now, for the striker safety and how it can lend itself to a gritty feel. First, you need to be sure the hole that the spring and plunger are in is completely free of grime. Next, be certain the safety spring has not been damaged or is in a fully compressed state. Finally, make certain the recess in the plunger is also free of grime.

Even with all the above accomplished the safety plunger and spring can still create a gritty feel. When the trigger bar tab moves rearward and contacts the safety "horn" it does so at an angle and creates a vector force. That vector is both down and to the rear of the slide.....this can be viewed by turning the pistol upside down, shining a light into the mag well and very slowly pulling the trigger. The safety will initially move inward and almost stop until a greater rearward pressure is applied to the trigger. That will move the safety plunger just a bit more before the break occurs. The vector force can cause the safety spring to buckle very slightly which in itself creates a gritty feel. That's why those who have replaced the factory plunger have been able to remove most of the grittiness from that location.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-11-2019, 01:05 AM   #72

Cross .22
I received the Sprinco 87886 safety plunger spring and installed it. It makes a marked improvement to the feel of the trigger take-up. I can hear the sliding of the trigger bar against the safety plunger more than feel it, now. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the Sprinco spring could be about half the weight of the stock Walther spring. Not sure it was worth it, but I was sort of chasing the smoothest possible feel for the Q5 upper I just got.

In terms of feel for trigger take-up, I'd rank from smoothest to least as below:

1) depressed safety plunger with a tool or no contact with trigger bar
2) Sprinco safety plunger spring w/silver safety plunger (Q5 Match slide)
3) Walther safety plunger spring w/black safety plunger (4" M1 slide)
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #73

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
In terms of feel for trigger take-up, I'd rank from smoothest to least as below:

1) depressed safety plunger with a tool or no contact with trigger bar
2) Sprinco safety plunger spring w/silver safety plunger (Q5 Match slide)
3) Walther safety plunger spring w/black safety plunger (4" M1 slide)

Is the grit completely removed when you depress the plunger and pull the trigger?

Old 11-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #74

Cross .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler5566 View Post
Is the grit completely removed when you depress the plunger and pull the trigger?
Yes, all gone. Itís still plastic and metal sliding together (not ball bearings or anything), but itís a consistent sliding instead of the start-stop hesitation when the plunger is there.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #75

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Yes, all gone. Itís still plastic and metal sliding together (not ball bearings or anything), but itís a consistent sliding instead of the start-stop hesitation when the plunger is there.
I am confused?? If plastic and metal are sliding together I would expect you to say the grittiness is still present. It sounds like you should use OF's suggested smoothing/sanding procedure first until everything feels "smooth" with the safety plunger pressed fully inward. Then the focus turns to the plunger+spring.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page

gritty trigger on q5 match

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/53433-q5-match-gritty-trigger-post1199310.html#post1199310
q5 match forums

walther ppq gritty trigger

walther ppq q5 match trigger

walther ppq trigger pull weight

walther q5 match steel frame trigger

walther q5 match trigger

walther q5 match trigger job

walther q5 match trigger pull

walther q5 trigger problem

waltherq5 match steel frame triger feitures

Click on a term to search for related topics.