Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post

(similar to a tool I've used when doing brake jobs on my 52 Chevy). ...
Ah, what memories. My first car. A Fastback for $150. She came from Florida, where some sailor had burned the valves by running it with stolen avgas. I became very familiar with this model: I had to rebuild EVERYTHING on it, including the Powerglide, twice. The Blue Goddess saw me through undergraduate school, 54 years ago. I kinda wish I had her back.

M

P.S. Anyone who thinks he'll get a free lunch by switching out springs from a different pistol to achieve a 3.5 pound trigger pull in a PPQ is cruising for trouble, and probably will find it.
searcher451 and imaoldfart like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 02-18-2016 at 08:41 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildot22 View Post

A Glock OEM (5.5#) firing pin spring won't pass my hard-primer overnight freezer test in either of my PPQ's or my P-99.

A 6# Wolff Glock firing pin spring will just meet my hard-primer overnight freezer test.

A good firing pin spring test is to shoot some European 9mm NATO rounds. If it will fire those off on a very cold morning then you should be good to go.
Unfortunately temperature and primer cup hardness are only two of the variables. Equally important, and equally variable, are a bunch of others: primer composition sensitivity, chamber size, chamber fouling, cartridge case size, headspace, firing pin friction (i.e., dirt), and many others that don't instantly spring to mind. An experienced, smart designer will leave a comfortable margin for reliability under all conditions-- not just overnight in a freezer.

M

P.S. I just thought of two more: firing pin protrusion, and firing pin tip shape.

Last edited by MGMike; 02-18-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #13

Mildot22 .22
Morning Mike

Most of those things you mention should show up in a hard primer overnight freezer test.

I have done hundreds of firing pin spring reliability tests & if I can get a gun to pass my overnight freezer test I have had ZERO reliability issues in firing normal pistol rounds.

But reducing firing pin load or rate isn't for everyone as it does take thorough testing & lots of follow up rounds under varied conditions to assure ignition reliability under all usage conditions.

It's also a good idea to replace the lighter firing pin springs on a regular basis to assure peak performance as lighter firing pin springs don't have the over-kill safety margin designed into factory springs.

Substituting gun springs isn't for everyone but those that have the ability to properly test & evaluate can find some gain there.

A single gun/single person has an advantage over the factory as the factory has to overspring all it's guns in a series to cover even the worst stack-up of parts & tolerances but a single gun/single person can re-spring & test their sample of one to achieve total reliability of just their one gun.

Last edited by Mildot22; 02-19-2016 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Mildot22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #14
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Mildot22: I don't quarrel with anything you've said. I just think that by the time one is done with all the necessary testing to cover all the variables, the flame is not worth the candle.

And if you change ammo, you need to start over again.

M
Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #15

Mildot22 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Mildot22: I don't quarrel with anything you've said. I just think that by the time one is done with all the necessary testing to cover all the variables,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
the flame is not worth the candle.

And if you change ammo, you need to start over again.

Morning Mike

There is a lot of truth in that statement.

Something like the basic PPQ is probably not worth the bother as those come with a low poundage nice trigger pull from the factory. (One of my present PPQ's came factory fresh with a lower poundage trigger pull than I like)

On the other hand a P-99 with a QA 9# trigger can REALLY be helped with a Wolff 6# Glock firing pin spring.

Same with some Glocks that come with 7-8# (actual) trigger pulls on factory rated 5.5# Glocks. If a Glock internals are slicked up they can easily & safely use a lower poundage firing pin spring with total reliability.

As I mentioned above it isn't for everybody & does take some testing & validation but the end results can be quite pleasing if a person has the ability & time to FULLY test & validate the spring change.
Mildot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #16

Baklash .22
Call me crazy, but I want to go the other direction with trigger pull on a PPQ. I am more familiar with the heavier long pull and long reset of a Kahr since I front pocket carry. I just ordered a new PPQ that I may occasionally want to holster carry IWB or at least OWB, and I am concerned with the light pull as well as the very short reset. I don't want any unintended double taps. So what would be necessary to increase the pull as well as the reset?
Baklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Probably you could substitute a stronger spring (akin to the "NYPD Glock") but the reset distance is mechanical, and I don't believe there is much one can do about changing it.

If you're uncomfortable with the PPQ's trigger characteristics, use the gun for range entertainment and carry something else.

M
Old 02-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #18

Chipmunk .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baklash View Post
Call me crazy, but I want to go the other direction with trigger pull on a PPQ. I am more familiar with the heavier long pull and long reset of a Kahr since I front pocket carry. I just ordered a new PPQ that I may occasionally want to holster carry IWB or at least OWB, and I am concerned with the light pull as well as the very short reset. I don't want any unintended double taps. So what would be necessary to increase the pull as well as the reset?
You are not crazy. However, I am sure you can increase the pull, but you will not be able to change the fact that the gun is FULLY cocked, meaning you are relying on a part engagement to keep it from firing. Many people consider that insufficient for a carry gun.

For this reason I would never carry the PPQ. I carry the P99 in decocked configuration. Glocks, and other similar guns don't have fully cocked strikers, and thus are much safer.

And making that already dangerous trigger even more so by making it lighter? Well, everyone is entitled to his ways.

To me the PPQ is just a range gun, maybe a home defense one, but not a carry piece.
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #19
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
PPQ's are all I carry. Just got back from running some errands.....sitting here with one of my PPQ M1 9mm's still riding at 2 O'clockish IWB. Its just soooo comfortable, I don't want to take it off.

My range toy is my latest PPQ M2 5" in 40 S&W. Apex trigger, reduced tension TRS, 6 lb. striker spring, Sprinco rsa, Dawson FO sights, .125 rear, .125 front. All of this resulting in a 2.5 lb trigger..... ME LIKES. Reminds me of my CZ-75 Champion....with sub 2.5 lb. trigger....THAT pistol is AWESOME.

Dangerous???? Cut me a break.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 02-25-2016 at 11:48 AM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #20

Chipmunk .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
PPQ's are all I carry. Just got back from running some errands.....
Dangerous???? Cut me a break.
I am glad, and hope nothing ever happens to you, but I am sure you realize that this proves exactly nothing?

Yes, it IS dangerous. It is like sitting under a sword, hanging on a flimsy nail.

It might hold... it might not.
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
apex trigger /spring kit ppq
how to pull out and clean ppq q5 triger bar and sear
how to reduce trigger pull on ppq
modify ppq q5 sf trigger
trigger job for q5
walther ppq m2 trigger kit
walther ppq match trigger
walther ppq remove trigger return spring
walther ppq trigger
walther ppq trigger job

walther ppq trigger spring

walther q5 match trigger job

Click on a term to search for related topics.