Had a failure to fire today....weird. - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

tsouzee .22
Hello everyone. I went to the range today and shot about 120rds. Somewhere in the middle I had a failure to fire. The trigger went click but nothing happened.

It was the first shot off a freshly loaded magazine. I ejected the round and checked it and there were no marks at all. Put it back in the magazine, cycled again and it fired. Never happened before or after. I have about 450 rounds through the PPQ after today.

Have only been using Speer 147gr thus far.

Anything I should look out for it be concerned about?

There were a couple of times where it took some effort to get a round into battery but nothing major (off a fresh magazine). That was more common during the first couple hundred rounds.

Additionally, is it normal to see a glimmer of the bullet case from the side of the ejection port when it is chambered?

Thanks.

Last edited by tsouzee; 01-18-2020 at 05:00 PM.
tsouzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Supporting Member

1942bull .22
Unless it becomes a repeated occurrence I would not be concerned. Misfires and hang
fires are part of firing ammunition. It is inevitable that you will eventually that any manufactured product will have some failures over time. It is what happens from here on that matters. Do not over diagnose one FTF or any other failure. Just shoot more ammo and see if it happened again. If it does, it is time to check the ammo and/or the gun. I think ammo is mostly to blame for FTFs.

"Engage your brain before you engage your weapon."
General James Mattis
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Pulled the trigger with the slide slightly out of battery. That'll result in a light to no primer strike.....and when you look at the pistol immediately following this click no bang, the slide is all the way forward. The slide is all the way forward because you pulled the trigger which releases the striker and allows the recoil spring to push the slide fully into battery.

To understand that, you've got to understand that the striker spring is cocked/compressed as the slide is returning forward. The single action sear will catch the striker at a point when the slide is at about 3/8" from the slide being fully forward. Its the slides forward momentum, provided by the recoil spring that has to push the slide the rest of the way into battery as the striker spring is being fully compressed.
olsoul and MustProtect like this.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Oldfart's diagnosis is spot-on. Now the question is: why was the slide slightly out of battery when the trigger was pulled?

Time for the "plonk" test. Remove the barrel, hold it vertically and see if those Speer 147gr. cartridges drop freely into the chamber and fall out by gravity when the barrel is inverted.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #5

tsouzee .22
Thanks. I'm hoping that's what it was. It's a bit of a letdown.

I'll try that test to see if the ammo falls out easily.

With that being said, I also noticed I could slightly see the bullet through the extractor mouth when it was chambered. Is that normal?
Old 01-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsouzee View Post
Thanks. I'm hoping that's what it was. It's a bit of a letdown.

I'll try that test to see if the ammo falls out easily.

With that being said, I also noticed I could slightly see the bullet through the extractor mouth when it was chambered. Is that normal?
Yes, that's normal.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #7

agksimon .22
I had the exact same thing happen with my Q5 a couple of times during IDPA matches. A fellow shooter took the gun, racked the slide, made sure it was fully closed and then gave a good whack to the side of the gun and that caused the striker to fall. The gun went back to Walther and they replaced the whole fire control system. From reading the forums, I'm far from the only one that's had this problem. It's been perfect since they fixed it.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #8

tsouzee .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
I had the exact same thing happen with my Q5 a couple of times during IDPA matches. A fellow shooter took the gun, racked the slide, made sure it was fully closed and then gave a good whack to the side of the gun and that caused the striker to fall. The gun went back to Walther and they replaced the whole fire control system. From reading the forums, I'm far from the only one that's had this problem. It's been perfect since they fixed it.
Did it start happening more frequently with you or was it just a few times? I feel I should see how it goes for the next couple hundred rounds and see if it happens again. I live in NYC and I would need written authorization to send the pistol out for repair (barf).
Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #9

agksimon .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsouzee View Post
Did it start happening more frequently with you or was it just a few times? I feel I should see how it goes for the next couple hundred rounds and see if it happens again. I live in NYC and I would need written authorization to send the pistol out for repair (barf).
I didn't let it get beyond a few times. When he hit the side of the gun and the striker fell, I was DQ'd from the match with an unsafe gun. Send it in.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Not talking about 'dead triggers'. Talking about a failure to return to battery....a pretty common problem, which can be induced by: 1) weak ammo, 2) Limp Wrist, 3) tight gun/springs, needing a breakin, etc. There are other things that could be contributing to this problem, but I'd rate no. 2 above as the most common.

I bought my daughter a brand new P99C. Went to the range....she had a 'click no bang'....I took the pistol fired 10 rounds and it ran perfectly. Handed it back to her and she'd fire a couple and had a 'click no bang'. I began to watch her a little closer, I specifically would look at the slide to see if it had returned fully to battery after each shot and sho nuff, I saw her have another 'click no bang'. She'd pulled the trigger with the slide about 1/8" out of battery.

The cause was limp wristing. Worked great in my hands, was hit or miss in her hands. I had her work on her grip, but I also replaced the extractor spring in her 9mm with a spring from a 40 (the 40 spring is a little lighter. This absolutely fixed the problem she was having. Many boxes of ammo later, I swapped the original spring back in....gun runs perfectly.

I modified a +2 baseplate to work with her P99C, this not only adds 2 rounds for a total of 12, but more importantly added some 'grip area' to allow her to get a better grip on the gun. The +2 baseplate changes the whole dynamic of that little grip.

Here's a link to some post in reference to 'failure to return to battery'. https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAs&uact=5

Last edited by imaoldfart; 01-19-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ