Just bought a PPQ - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #11

Wolfierules907 .22
Aren't most Euro 9mm pistols designed for 124g (think NATO) rounds? All my German 9s seem to prefer 124, though they eat pretty much anything (except steel case crap)
tylerlayne likes this.
Wolfierules907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #12

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
124gr/1200 fps ammo for all my 9mm handguns, even the classics (P5 (w/8lb recoil springs)/P6/P7).

The 3 day wait reminds me of this......
tylerlayne likes this.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #13

Jimmo952 .22
There so many choices in 9mm is can be confusing. The PPQ will almost assuredly shoot most of them well.

For the OP, I'd keep the response simple. Find yourself some 124grn Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots. Done. Self Defense needs against two legged critters handled.

No need to use +P. More wear and tear on the gun and more recoil. There was a time many thought +P was needed in a 9mm. That is not really the case anymore. The non +P stuff will expand and penetrate well enough.

The OP can experiment with all mater of 9mm loads if he wishes but just using Federal HST or Gold Dots keeps it simple.

My advice is keep it simple and put the emphasis on practice and training. Competency with the handgun is more likely to save your bacon than the specifics of any particular wonder bullet.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #14

Wolfierules907 .22
Jimmo got it right, HSTs or GoldDots for self-defense, though testing on the IL State Police 115 +P+ Federal loads (I have Gold Dots in same) show some pretty devastating wound channels.
tylerlayne likes this.
Wolfierules907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #15

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
I keep my SHTF Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G Brig Tac set up (20lb recoil spring/WC recoil buffer) for this stuff.....

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...18785726791737

Speer Gold Dot BJHP exceeding 450 ft/lbs is a hell of a thing. I keep a case on hand should the need arise.
tylerlayne likes this.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #16

tylerlayne .22
Thanks everyone for all the info. Will definitely put it to use. Thanks again!
tylerlayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #17

vireya .22
you did not mention the gun shop, but if twas ShootStraight, then make sure you get a free range pass when you accept delivery (of any gun)
vireya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #18

tylerlayne .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vireya View Post
you did not mention the gun shop, but if twas ShootStraight, then make sure you get a free range pass when you accept delivery (of any gun)
I bought it at a local gun store. I am a member of a outdoor range so all I have to do is supply the ammo and a couple of targets. I also have a glock 21,a glock 22 and a S&W .22 target pistol. Also have numerous rifles. I will never buy another Smith & Wesson. I bought my target pistol brand new. It worked great for a couple years but got to where the firing pin would hit the round so close to the edge that it would misfire 3 out of 10 rounds. Sometimes it would bend the casing and get jammed in the chamber. I sent it to S&W 3 different times to have this fixed and each time they would send it back saying they had fixed the problem only to have it do the same thing. I tried all kinds of different brands ammo with the same results. S&W will not even talk to me anymore about me sending it back to them to be repaired. I feel like if they are going to give a lifetime warranty on their firearms if they can not fix it they should replace it.
tylerlayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #19

PPK-Doxies .22
Congrats, they are pretty sweet. I used to shoot 1,000 rounds a week and most of it out of my PPQs, and the PPS M2. PPQ- SUB, and PPQ .45. Then the PPQ 22, so I think they are quite excellent.
tylerlayne likes this.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:32 AM   #20

agksimon .22
Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
Ditto to WaterDR on +P.

I did extensive comparisons between weights and brands, and found (as have many others) that my particular PPQ M2 likes 124gr better than any other weight.

What really shocked and delighted me was that it shoots remarkably tighter groups with Browning 124 BPT FMJ than ANY other round. Why is that shocking? Because I can buy it off the shelf at Academy Sports here in Texas for $25/150 rnds.

Browning makes "companion" JHP ammo called BXP, but only in 147, so I'm still relying on Speer Gold Dot/Lawman in 124gr.
I also did extensive group size testing at 25 yards, off of a pistol rest. I tried many brands of 115, 124 and 147 grain ammo and found that the brands varied the group sizes, just as much as the weights.
My best results with my Q5 poly was with American Eagle 124 grain FMJ. which yields groups around 1.50 inches (on a good day with no wind) with the factory iron sights. I now have a Vortex Venom 6moa reflex sight on it, but haven't tested it yet. The dot is kind of big for bullseye shooting. I would imagine a smaller dot would yield groups around an inch or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walther Q5 Match, 25 Yards.jpg (350.2 KB, 18 views)
tylerlayne likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ