Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By VTHokie
  • 1 Post By Yankchef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

GunOwner .22
PPQ Q4 Tac optic recommendation?

I couldn't find any threads about a recommended optics for this gun.

I was wondering if the Holosun 507C or the trijicon RMR type 2 would be a better buy for the PPQ?

Any other good optics that work well with the PPQ?

Thanks for any insight into this.
GunOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #2

VTHokie .22
I’m running the following:
- Q4 Tac: Shield RMS with the Shield mounting plate
- Q5 Match: Vortex Venom
- PPQ 45 (milled for Q4/Q5 plates): Leupold DeltaPoint Pro

I like all of them, but wish I could combine points from each one into one sight!

Vortex Venom:
Pros: Cost, Warranty, Performs well adjusting automatically to brightness, or you can manually select the brightness
Cons: I think the window is a little small (but works well), wish the rear had a built in notch rather than two lines, wish it was motion activated to save some battery power (it’ll turn off automatically after 14 hours or something like that).

Shield RMS:
Pros: Footprint! It’s small and thin. Has a notch on the rear and cowitnesses with stock front sight using the mounting plate from Shield, automatically adjusts brightness.
Cons: Price, (though I believe they may go on sale annually at some point in November?) Stays on 24/7 but my battery has lasted quite a while so far. Sometimes I wish I could adjust the brightness myself.

Leupold DeltaPoint Pro:
Pros: It does seem more durable than others (though I never expect to test this). Motion activated. Has an attachment point to add a rear sight. (Leupold is about $80, I bought an insert from Galloway Precision for $8 that is working great.)
Cons: It’s a thick sight and sits high. Doesn’t adjust automatically to brightness, controlled by one button on the battery cover, but if changing brightness levels you just need to get your finger out of the way to see what it’s doing.

I bought different ones to see if I liked one more than the others and so far I don’t. They all have pros and cons. I didn’t get a Trijicon because I didn’t want to have to remove the sight to change the battery... that’s the only reason I haven’t tried it! The new Sig Romeo 01 Pro looks pretty good too. I have the original on a P226 and I like it but seemed like there were some that had reliability issues so I had my slide milled to fit the DPP and now Romeo Pro. So I’m interested to hear how that optic performs.
skyrep likes this.
VTHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #3

Liggett .22
I've used Vortex and Burris and had good luck with both. i like the FF3 a bit over the Vortex options. Just me. Neither is motion activated and the Burris has an 8 hr time out which could be an issue on a carry gun.
My latest optic is an FTP Alpha3 on my SF. I like the bigger window and the motion-sensing but have no idea about the durability yet. Only about 1000 rounds through it.
Liggett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #4

Dukes4aces .22
Don't have a Q4tac, but run Holosuns on my AR and PCC/9mm and absolutely love the clairity and circle w dot.
Dukes4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:40 AM   #5

Sloth .22
I first got the Vortex Viper, really nice footprint and sits low. However, besides size, how low it sits is just a factor when going from iron sights, you learn how to index your red dot no matter where it is with practice. Still, with a low sight you can see the irons without getting supressor height.

Then I changed to Leupold Delta Point Pro for the larger window and better durabilitily. Clear upgrade IMO. I think the DPP is the best open emitter alternative, very durable and large window. The RMR might be slightly more durable, but much smaller window.

Now considering the new Aimpoint Acro. Closed emitter has obvious advantages in rain and dirt, durability probably better but time will tell. I also think the slight "tunnel" will help with index.
Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
Supporting Member

Thinkology .22
Holosun 510
Thinkology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:20 AM   #7

Yankchef .22
If you are interested in the holosun you can pickup a 407c for around 200 bucks, I saw them on brownells for 180 just last week. Only difference is that there is no 32 moa ring option it's just a 2 moa dot.
1 thing I don't see people talk about as much with the holosun mrds is that they require a proprietary tool to remove the battery cover and it is the jankiest, most fragile annoyingly stupid thing in all of mrds. I just had to send mine back because the thing literally would not come off. The optic is fine I like it but something to note, and it makes me appreciate my deltapoint pro for being so so easy to change.

With that being said I would not steer away from an optic because it has a bottom loading battery, optics with that design sit Lower to the slide which is an advantage imo, for example so many people buy a venom because of that and the viper is to me a superior optic for mounting to the slide of a handgun.

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk
Liggett likes this.
Yankchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ