Brand new PPQ M2 Trigger gritty/Help appreciated - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #11

balance .22
Put a drop of lube directly on the firing pin block with the slide upside down. Work the lube into the striker channel by pressing it in with a Q-tip a few times until a film of lube in on the sides of the firing pin block and in the firing pin block channel. Put the slide back on the frame and pull the trigger a few times. Do exactly this, then report back and let us know what it is feeling like.

99% of all "gritty trigger" threads I've responded to on this forum have been resolved by doing just this. This is also what worked on my own PPQ after I purchased it and found that it had a gritty trigger. Around a thousand rounds later, I no longer needed to lube the FPB anymore to get an extremely smooth trigger.
ifish42na likes this.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #12

Robbins290 Unproven
Page 95 for the center fired ppq also says to press the trigger all the rear.

So i guess the guy at customer service does not a whole considering both manual says to dry fire both the 22LR and center fired ones.

https://www.carl-walther.com/fileadm...g_PPQ-Intl.pdf
Robbins290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #13

Joeyboy .22
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
Put a drop of lube directly on the firing pin block with the slide upside down. Work the lube into the striker channel by pressing it in with a Q-tip a few times until a film of lube in on the sides of the firing pin block and in the firing pin block channel. Put the slide back on the frame and pull the trigger a few times. Do exactly this, then report back and let us know what it is feeling like.

99% of all "gritty trigger" threads I've responded to on this forum have been resolved by doing just this. This is also what worked on my own PPQ after I purchased it and found that it had a gritty trigger. Around a thousand rounds later, I no longer needed to lube the FPB anymore to get an extremely smooth trigger.
Thanks for the tip. I tried this EXACTLY as you described and it helped but only a little bit. My previous PPQ had zero grit and this one still has substantial resistance/friction during travel. When I depress the plunger from beneath the magwell and depress the trigger the grit virtually disappears. Probably needs a stronger spring. Perhaps over time it will smooth out but I think it might need a firing pin block mod as depicted in this video: Guess I got a lemon.

Last edited by Joeyboy; 10-10-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Using the video from above, remove your FPB and spring, put slide back on pistol and try your trigger. Is it still gritty? If not, you probably found your problem. If its still gritty, then the FPB is not your problem. Now, put your FPB back in before your forget.

I noticed he used springs from Sodemann. Wonder where he got that idea? He's obviously been scouring this forum. https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...ger-mod-5.html
ifish42na likes this.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #15

Joeyboy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Using the video from above, remove your FPB and spring, put slide back on pistol and try your trigger. Is it still gritty? If not, you probably found your problem. If its still gritty, then the FPB is not your problem. Now, put your FPB back in before your forget.

I noticed he used springs from Sodemann. Wonder where he got that idea? He's obviously been scouring this forum. https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...ger-mod-5.html
While I appreciate your advice, I don't feel that any modifications, including new parts, ought to be the remedy. I've owned many semi pistols including Walthers that were more than acceptable right out of the box and required no adjustments. I'm a big Walther fan but this latest experience has soured me a bit. I'm not a gunsmith and do not feel confident disassembling a gun beyond a basic field-strip. I don't think I'll send the gun back to Walther. I'll keep and shoot it for awhile but eventually plan to sell if the trigger does not smooth out. I have my eye on an HK VP9, which I think has a better trigger. At least the one I tried at the LGS, brand new in the case for $620. I can buy on-line for $474 free shipping. Problem is you never know what you're going to get. I bought this gun from Bud's, by the way. First time I've been disappointed with a purchase from them.
Joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #16

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyboy View Post
When I depress the plunger from beneath the magwell and depress the trigger the grit virtually disappears. Probably needs a stronger spring.

My first guess would be that the FPB spring is compressed and the slot has grit in it. My PPQ 45 was that way out of the box but smoother out after removing the spring, manually stretching out and thoroughly cleaning the slot.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #17

balance .22
Quote:
When I depress the plunger from beneath the magwell and depress the trigger the grit virtually disappears.
It seems like you've pinpointed it down to the FPB. I'd suggest lube and use from this point on. Mine started out gritty as well.

Thicker lube helps until things get smooth from use. Some have gone as far as nickle plating the firing pin block for around $15.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...pq-butter.html

Quote:
My PPQ 45 was that way out of the box but smoother out after removing the spring, manually stretching out and thoroughly cleaning the slot.
I'd suggest against stretching any coil spring in the pistol. Normally stretching a spring starts it out with more spring tension, but it goes away very quickly, and in the end you have much less spring pressure than you had to begin with. Not a good idea with a safety device like a firing pin block.

Taking the firing pin block out of the slide for an inspection would be a good idea though, to inspect the firing pin block, the channel that it rides in, and the spring, to make sure they all look like they are in working order.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #18

WaterDR Unproven
For 9 years while Obama was president, gun sales went through the roof. That’s what’s started it....not Walther.
Wolfierules907 likes this.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #19

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
I'd suggest against stretching any coil spring in the pistol. Normally stretching a spring starts it out with more spring tension, but it goes away very quickly, and in the end you have much less spring pressure than you had to begin with. Not a good idea with a safety device like a firing pin block.
Actually, the stretching I performed was sufficient only to allow the spring to regain original length and provide compressibility. Unless a spring is stretched to a point that causes physical damage or permanently alters the spring mean diameter the spring rate will remain virtually unchanged with respect to the constant rate of force exerted by the spring. Rate is determined by number of coils, wire diameter and outer diameter.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #20

balance .22
Quote:
For 9 years while Obama was president, gun sales went through the roof. Thatís whatís started it....not Walther.

Wrong thread?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page

ppq fpb spring

Click on a term to search for related topics.