Trigger feel after many rounds? - Page 4 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #31

balance .22
Quote:
Mine has been back to Walther twice, first time they replaced the gun and second time the fire control. I finally gave up and with the help of "Imaoldfart" got it fixed. I had to get a black striker block and different spring. That finally cured it.
So the fix for the gritty trigger on your pistol was cured with a firing pin block.

It doesn't seem like your pistol started off great, and then was getting worse as the round count increased.
agksimon likes this.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #32

JackSprat .22
Slight relief of trigger "hole" in frame seems to have cured the grittiness due to trigger scratching on frame when the factory trigger was pulled.

No issue with firing-pin's block was detected. Firing-pin's channel was not touched.

Next time that I see the subject PPQ-M2 9mm 4", I will look/feel for changes.
JackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #33

gueorguim .22
Hello.
As competitor to competitor.
Nothing will help except springs replacement. This is per Walther Shooting Team.
If you want a better trigger… get Apex.
gueorguim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #34

Liggett .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
Yeah, those 1911s never have any issues.
Actually, none of ours do and they get used HARD in USPSA and IDPA. Ya just gotta do the maintenance.
Liggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #35

JackSprat .22
Changes to springs probably will change the amount of force required to trip the sear, but the issue here is grittiness of the trigger action.
Having replaced a PPQ-M2 4" 9mm factory trigger and trigger-bar with an Apex trigger and trigger-bar (for an IDPA competitor) I noted no significant change in force required nor (once the "hole" and side of frame had been dealt with) any grittiness. Competitor told me that in competition the change in trigger (other than elimination of grittiness) was not even noted during competition.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #36

gueorguim .22
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...ger-gains.html
gueorguim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:00 PM   #37

JackSprat .22
PPQ-M2 4" 9mm with trigger and trigger bar replaced with Apex kit AND with slight opening of the frame's trigger hole was shown to me by competitor. The Apex trigger has a much shorter "pre-travel" than the stock trigger assembly. However, in the Apex short pre-travel, one can still feel some grittiness after many rounds shot. A careful look at the trigger/frame interface suggest that one side of the trigger is probably not rubbing on the frame, but the other side of the trigger is rubbing on the frame and resulting in grittiness. One can see light scratched on the trigger on the afflicted side.
Competitor may let me remove the Apex trigger and eliminate the trigger's interference with the frame (on one side) come a lull in competition.

Once again: experts here have indicated opinions about trigger feel - I am reporting on what is seen with one particular PPQ M2 4" 9mm pistol. It is reasonable to extrapolate that others might have the same symptoms due to the same cause.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #38

kampers .22
Some of those metal parts are right next to plastic parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Jack, the little dimple in the trigger barely touches the frame, unless the trigger bar is bent/warped. As for all the plastic parts, I'm at a loss, the trigger bar is metal, it's guided rearward/downward by the trigger bar guide, which is metal, the trigger bar contacts contacts the single action lever, which is metal, the single action lever contacts the single action sear, which is metal, the single action sear contacts the striker. The sear housing is plastic, but you're not moving anything in there, just releasing as the trigger bar contacts the single action lever. Oh, and the trigger bar contacts the FPB......

I'm betting all you need is a drop of lube on the trigger bar where the trigger bar guide rubs. And a drop on the FPB.

Heck, go crazy with the drops....anywhere the trigger bar makes contact with the frame or the side of the sear housing.

The Trigger itself is housed inside the plastic frame of the gun. There is plastic on plastic rubbing. Right at the top part of the plastic trigger the outside edge of the trigger can rub against the frame where there is a hole in the frame. I can see scratch marks on the trigger where it rubs on the frame itself. And if the metal dimple runs along with the plastic housing of the frame it can rub a grove as the man said.
kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #39
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kampers View Post
The Trigger itself is housed inside the plastic frame of the gun. There is plastic on plastic rubbing. Right at the top part of the plastic trigger the outside edge of the trigger can rub against the frame where there is a hole in the frame. I can see scratch marks on the trigger where it rubs on the frame itself. And if the metal dimple runs along with the plastic housing of the frame it can rub a grove as the man said.
You're right, the left side of the trigger does make contact with the opening in the frame. And, if the frame has any casting/molding flash that wasn't cleaned up, it can result in those little imperfections rubbing on the side of the trigger shoe and leaving scratches....you'll also be complaining about a gritty trigger.

I actually covered the fix for this a few years ago. I used a little piece of 400 grit 'sticky backed' sand paper. stuck it to the trigger shoe and pulled the trigger 30 times or so....imperfections gone, along with the gritty trigger feel.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #40

johnrr6 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
You're right, the left side of the trigger does make contact with the opening in the frame. And, if the frame has any casting/molding flash that wasn't cleaned up, it can result in those little imperfections rubbing on the side of the trigger shoe and leaving scratches....you'll also be complaining about a gritty trigger.

I actually covered the fix for this a few years ago. I used a little piece of 400 grit 'sticky backed' sand paper. stuck it to the trigger shoe and pulled the trigger 30 times or so....imperfections gone, along with the gritty trigger feel.
I used your method on both a Q5 Match and a PPQ SC and it worked a treat! Both guns are heavily used and some grittiness was raising its ugly head. Your trick eliminated it! Both stock triggers still have the longer take up that Iím sure many competitors donít like. But I donít mind it at all as pull weight and general ďfeelĒ are the most important to me. I also tried three different Apex triggers in my Q5. And the Apex folks were very responsive and helpful. But I ultimately went back to the stock arrangement as no matter what trigger they sent me, while reducing take up.... they all increased the triggers pull weight slightly which I didnít care for at all.
imaoldfart likes this.
johnrr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ