Q5 SF Aftermarket Products - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2019, 03:43 AM   #1

gunslinger115 .22
Q5 SF Aftermarket Products

Picked up a Q5 SF about two weeks ago to set up as a competition gun for IDPA. The gun is definitely not competition ready out of the box and Walther doesn't produce parts that will make it competition ready so I started looking for aftermarket products. The marketplace is very sparsely inhabited.

The gun is deadly accurate and the sights are nice but other then that it is a "one size fits all" gun. Things I haven't found that would fine tune this gun for my style of competitive shooting of match grade (low power factor) ammo are as follows:

1. Adjustable trigger - Apex has no time frame for the one it is supposed to be producing.

2. Various weights of recoil springs (preferably captured) so you can tune the gun to the ammo you are shooting.

3. Grips - Again we have a "one size fits all" scenario. Grips on this gun are for a medium size hand only.

If Walther wants to enter the competitive shooting market (which it seems they want to do) they need to understand that all serious competition shooters fine tune their guns. One size fits all doesn't cut it. Walther has lost a great deal of market share to Sig, Glock, CZ, and S&W because of this. The aftermarket industry isn't going to come up with product for a pricey gun that not many people are going to buy compared to those of other firearms manufacturers.

Anyone else out there have this problem with the Q5 SF?
agksimon, BartCarter and Jimmo952 like this.
gunslinger115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-20-2019, 04:51 AM   #2

Bighonu .22
Somewhat agree.

I can live with the trigger and look at it as a training challenge. I was used to SS triggers, but am adapting. Unless your stages routinely have 25yd+ partials, it really shouldn’t make that much of a difference with some practice.

Recoil spring could be a tad lighter, but with a caveat. If you are using stock mags, then a lighter spring is needed. Aftermarket extensions, like TT+5s, change the balance a little and the stock spring is not so bad...after a couple thousand rounds.

Grips. Hell yes. Need grip options. What surprises me is that the Walther line in general prides itself on great ergonomics. Then, why on their premier platform, not offer options? I have three choices with a PPQ, but none on the SF? I need a thinner option, or an extended mag release, or both. Can I make the stock grip work? Of course. Should I have options on a flagship pistol? Definitely.

I really like the SF. Shoots accurately, and is built with the shooting sports in mind. Just wish I had some options. I realize as an early adopter I will have to wait for the aftermarket to catch up. I kind of feel like that Walther is missing the boat in not offering those options up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bighonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #3

agksimon .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighonu View Post
I have three choices with a PPQ, but none on the SF?
I didn't like any of the grip panels, that came with my Q5 poly, so I ground down and re-stippled the medium one. It's much more comfortable to me, without that back palm swell.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
As for the trigger, Apex is the only game in town, however, I did read in a thread that another manufacture is about to release an offering. With that said, Sprinco offers a 'tactical spring kit'....which consist of a lighter trigger return spring and FPB spring for he PPQ Q5 Match 'polymer' pistol. He may be working on a kit for the SF as well....you'll need to call and talk to Alan.

As for recoil springs, I and may others have been using a 'steel' guide rod and springs from Wilson Combat. This has been covered on this forum already. Quite a few threads on the SF, addressing all the issues you brought up, and some remedies. Including grips.

As a note, the aftermarket doesn't provide many options for the Q's. If you need any factory parts, you'll need to contact Walther in Fort Smith or Earl's Repair Service. The only things you'll find readily available for the Q's are recoil assemblies/rods/springs and sights.

Enjoy your time here.....All your questions and concerns have already been addressed elsewhere in previous threads, you'll need to spend some time looking around on the site.

I'll make it a little easier for ya....here's a link to a 'google' search of this site for the SF. https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAg&uact=5
Liggett likes this.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 09-20-2019 at 07:23 AM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #5

upsman .22
I have install the Sprinco recoil reducer guide rod kit, the Sprinco trigger spring kit and the LOK g10 Boggie grip panels. The SF doesn't need anymore aftermarket accessories. After 15000 rds this gun shoots great,trigger pull at 2.76 to 3lbs ,Syntec 150gr shoots perfect no malfunctions. Easily makes 25yd head shots with ,21 spits. Would not want the trigger any lighter or smoother. LOK grips are perfect(almost too much grip) Very reliable!! Now if some company can make a red dot optic that will last!!!!
upsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

upsman .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger115 View Post
Picked up a Q5 SF about two weeks ago to set up as a competition gun for IDPA. The gun is definitely not competition ready out of the box and Walther doesn't produce parts that will make it competition ready so I started looking for aftermarket products. The marketplace is very sparsely inhabited.

The gun is deadly accurate and the sights are nice but other then that it is a "one size fits all" gun. Things I haven't found that would fine tune this gun for my style of competitive shooting of match grade (low power factor) ammo are as follows:

1. Adjustable trigger - Apex has no time frame for the one it is supposed to be producing.

2. Various weights of recoil springs (preferably captured) so you can tune the gun to the ammo you are shooting.

3. Grips - Again we have a "one size fits all" scenario. Grips on this gun are for a medium size hand only.

If Walther wants to enter the competitive shooting market (which it seems they want to do) they need to understand that all serious competition shooters fine tune their guns. One size fits all doesn't cut it. Walther has lost a great deal of market share to Sig, Glock, CZ, and S&W because of this. The aftermarket industry isn't going to come up with product for a pricey gun that not many people are going to buy compared to those of other firearms manufacturers.

Anyone else out there have this problem with the Q5 SF?
All the options you want are out there! I have an Apex in one of my poly Q5's ,people shoot both guns and they still pick the SF trigger now,not just my opinion.its theirs
gunslinger115 likes this.

Last edited by upsman; 09-20-2019 at 02:17 PM.
upsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

Jimmo952 .22
Just to be clear, the Apex trigger is not yet an option for the SF. Hopefully it will be soon.

The other company making noises about an upcoming SF trigger is Overwatch Precision.

LOK grips makes an aftermarket grip for the SF. They are purported to be working on different sizes but the last I heard they are only shipping one size.
Jimmo952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:12 AM   #8

gunslinger115 .22
Didn't know about LOK grips. I'll check it out. Thanks.
gunslinger115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #9

Liggett .22
There are damn few guns "out of the box" that are "competition ready"unless you're maybe looking at Wilson or Atlas coin. Most others are going to need to be tinkered to your satisfaction.
I tinkered my SF, shot it's first IDPA match today, shooting a USPSA match in two weeks and a level4 IDPA match in 3 weeks.
The gun is ready, all I need to do is my part.
And I'm coming from a highly tuned optic 1911 so none of that is said lightly.
Liggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:38 AM   #10

Bighonu .22
LOK is nice, but slim options are nil at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bighonu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/119930-q5-sf-aftermarket-products-5.html#post1219462

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/119930-q5-sf-aftermarket-products-post1217770.html#post1217770

Click on a term to search for related topics.