TiN the barrel - Page 8 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums
 

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #71
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 60
justanotherguy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
My CZ should look a lot like this but in copper.

look like a toy [ducks]


Actually looks nice
justanotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,159
WaterDR Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
That’s my personal favorite. I got a place that puts it on sale sometimes for $65. I am drinking some right now.

My problem I dont drink much and it loses its flavor after it sinks below halfway...I need to drink more or buy some oxblocker or something
I have a rather extensive collection of whiskey. It’s fun to sample.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #73
Supporting Member
 
imaoldfart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 13,079
imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
My CZ should look a lot like this but in copper.
Looks great.......................
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 101
dleong Unproven
Just in case any of you are (were?) wondering about titanium nitride's durability, I took these pictures this morning, just after cleaning my .40 PPQ. I shot at least 180 rounds yesterday, which brings the round count to over 1000 since getting the slide and barrel refinished in black TiN. You can see from the lack of abrasion marks on both the breechface and rear of the barrel hood that the finish is holding up VERY well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030831_Resized.jpg (55.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1030833_Resized.jpg (53.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1030837_Resized.jpg (43.7 KB, 19 views)
dleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,159
WaterDR Unproven
One issue with the stuff is that it is so dam hard. As a result, you can actually get marks on it from other metals. In other words, the TiN scratches other surfaces such as brass. But the marks rub off.

Great pics!
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,106
Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleong View Post
Just in case any of you are (were?) wondering about titanium nitride's durability, I took these pictures this morning, just after cleaning my .40 PPQ. I shot at least 180 rounds yesterday, which brings the round count to over 1000 since getting the slide and barrel refinished in black TiN. You can see from the lack of abrasion marks on both the breechface and rear of the barrel hood that the finish is holding up VERY well.
Are there accuracy or barrel life implications to TINing a barrel?
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 101
dleong Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
Are there accuracy or barrel life implications to TINing a barrel?
Not to my knowledge. It's a common enough treatment applied to firearms that, if there were any adverse effects, we probably would have read or heard about them by now.


I have not noticed any accuracy degradation in my PPQ since the TiN refinish.
dleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,159
WaterDR Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleong View Post
Just in case any of you are (were?) wondering about titanium nitride's durability, I took these pictures this morning, just after cleaning my .40 PPQ. I shot at least 180 rounds yesterday, which brings the round count to over 1000 since getting the slide and barrel refinished in black TiN. You can see from the lack of abrasion marks on both the breechface and rear of the barrel hood that the finish is holding up VERY well.
Are there accuracy or barrel life implications to TINing a barrel?
The interior of the barrel does not get coated.
Jimmo952 likes this.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
WaterDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,159
WaterDR Unproven
One potential issue is they steel becoming brittle. When coated the item is heated to 900 F I believe. The coating is very hard. 10 times harder than it was before. As a result, when something is hard, it can chip if struck hard enough. But it would have to be a very hard hit. I have never read where a gun has cracked or a thing like that.

TiN is used to coat machinery in industrial applications.

The down sides of TiN would be limited color options. And each color has slightly different properties. The colors are the result of the formulation used. You also can’t coat aluminum of plastic because it would melt.
dleong and Jimmo952 like this.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #80
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 60
justanotherguy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
One potential issue is they steel becoming brittle. When coated the item is heated to 900 F I believe. The coating is very hard. 10 times harder than it was before. As a result, when something is hard, it can chip if struck hard enough. But it would have to be a very hard hit. I have never read where a gun has cracked or a thing like that.

TiN is used to coat machinery in industrial applications.

The down sides of TiN would be limited color options. And each color has slightly different properties. The colors are the result of the formulation used. You als
o canít coat aluminum of plastic because it would melt.

very common drill bit and carbide insert coating.
justanotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ


Search tags for this page

tin barrel for walther ppq 45

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.