WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #21

agksimon .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
The barrel and slide are nitrocarburized. Any aftermarket finish is not going to do much other than be applied for looks only, and if the pistol is fired with any regularity, the aftermarket finish will eventually wear as well.
I shoot a lot of IDPA/USPSA and draw practice too. The front end of the slide on my Q5 has Kydex holster wear from not having the holster adjusted properly (which it is now). I'm going to send it out to have it coated, as I can afford it and want it to look like new. The coating is supposed to be someone more wear resistant than the nitrocarburizing of the factory finish, as it's ceramic.
Register
Old 10-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #22

WaterDR Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
The barrel and slide are nitrocarburized. Any aftermarket finish is not going to do much other than be applied for looks only, and if the pistol is fired with any regularity, the aftermarket finish will eventually wear as well.
I shoot a lot of IDPA/USPSA and draw practice too. The front end of the slide on my Q5 has Kydex holster wear from not having the holster adjusted properly (which it is now). I'm going to send it out to have it coated, as I can afford it and want it to look like new. The coating is supposed to be someone more wear resistant than the nitrocarburizing of the factory finish, as it's ceramic.
The TiN will not ever wear off.
agksimon likes this.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #23

justanotherguy .22
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vV...BLVXUsq_ApPLeG

pics
justanotherguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #24

WaterDR Unproven
Did you do the slide too?
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #25

justanotherguy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
Did you do the slide too?
No just the barrel, it was only $40

I like the look of the limited edition PPQ M1, so I imitated that...
Old 10-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #26

MarkS20 .22
Nice! Really makes that PPQ pop.

Is the TiN down the full length of the barrel and chamber?

-- Mark
MarkS20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #27

justanotherguy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS20 View Post
Nice! Really makes that PPQ pop.

Is the TiN down the full length of the barrel and chamber?

-- Mark
Just looking at in the room light I would say no....
I'll check with a flashlight
Old 10-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #28

balance .22
I'll just put this out there because I feel that it should be said, since I rarely ever hear it being said in daily life or on forums like this.

I'm not a fan of modifications to firearms that don't have a beneficial purpose, and since I'm not seeing or hearing reports of corrosion issues, I'm going to say that this falls under that category.

I believe that firearms should be black or stainless. This makes them easier to immediately identify them as firearms. I've seen "colorful" slides and barrels on toys, and I'm not a fan of these colors on real firearms. While I have no proof, I have a suspicion that all these gun owners who color their real firearms to look like toys is one of the reasons that police are trained to treat people with "toy guns" as a threat. Kids play with toy guns.

There is also the fact that just pulling out a firearm, in many reported cases, has been enough to deter a threat, and stop a defensive encounter from becoming deadly. Do you really want someone to question whether or not what you are pulling out, is real? I've run into some "tough guys" on internet forums speak on how if they are pulling it out, they are going to shoot. I've also run into a one man who did just that, and spent countless paychecks and days in court fighting for his freedom and lifestyle because of it.

I see absolutely no benefit to this. I see a few major downfalls to coloring pistols. Please ask yourself if it is worth it. Ask yourself what purpose your firearms are there to serve.

In the past I've likened this to painting the nuclear launch button in a Hello Kitty theme. Ask yourself if you really want to take away a certain "seriousness" that I personally believe all firearms should have about them. According to at least one member on this thread, this finish is available in black. I still don't see the point (due to the lack of reported corrosion issues), but why on Earth would you want a bright colored barrel?

If I was to paint the muzzle device on a personally owned AR bright orange, like a toy, would you have an issue with it then?
MGMike likes this.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #29

justanotherguy .22
holy **** you must be fun at parties.
a colored barrel inside a stock slide, and man you go off on one wild tangent.

Perhaps it is so rarely talked about because it really isn't as big an issue as your striving to make it
dleong likes this.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #30

balance .22
I've got plenty of friends, and I've been to plenty of parties. We've got time to go out because we don't stay at home wondering if we should color our pistols, and what colors.

That wasn't me going off on a tangent. I could have been a whole lot more "to the point" than that. This is a discussion forum. I'd rather talk about the benefits and downsides to whatever modifications people wish to do to their defensive pistols, rather than, say, what color I can paint the barrel.

I can see that this bothers you. Too bad.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page

tin barrel for walther ppq 45

Click on a term to search for related topics.