WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #11

Maxwell .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Max, the dovetail dimensions are the same on the P99, P99C, PPQ M1, PPQ M2 and I'm assuming the PPQ SC and I'm assuming the PPS M1 and M2.

The difference is the way the sight is manufactured (to what dimension) and how are they held in place. The PPQ's and P99's use a spring and plunger system, located in the slide to capture a 'square headed' windage screw in the rear sight. These sights can be pushed in or out of the dovetail with your thumb....again, they're held in place by means of the square headed screw which is captured by the ears on top of the plunger in the slide.

In addition, Walther also offers a 'press fit' rear sight. These 'press fit' sights will fit into the dovetail on the P99's, PPQ's and PPS's.....and I'm assuming they'll also fit into the dovetail on the PPQ SC. The installation of this type sight normally requires the use of a sight pusher, although, if you know what you're doing and use the proper tools, they can be hammered in with a hammer and a punch (be careful trying to do that).

The rear sight on a PPQ SC has a 'round headed' windage screw that fits into a slot in the slide. The 'squared headed' variety of rear sights weren't designed to work with the SC. However, if you want to use a 'press fit' rear sight, that ought to work.
While I appreciate the detailed response you are still making multiple assumptions, as I have, which is what I am trying to avoid.

I'm still looking for a hard and fast answer: Which sights versions should I be looking at, PPS, or PPQ/M2/P99?
Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
OK, I'll make it easy for you. The PPQ/P99 sights that use the windage screw and spring/plunger system, will not work for you. PERIOD

The Press fit sights for the PPQ/P99/PPS WILL work for you. PERIOD. Meaning, they'll fit in the dovetail in the PPQ SC. Now will the POA/POI be correct. I have no clue.

As for afermarket sights. If they use the windage screw system, they will not work in the PPQ SC (unless they're made specifically for the SC). If they're a press fit, or they're held in with an allen screw (Speed Sights, Dawson & possibly others) they will fit the dovetail in the PPQ SC.

Is that clear enough?

Last edited by imaoldfart; 09-09-2019 at 04:26 PM.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #13

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
^Yup.

Pressed in PPS sights will work. The adjustable sight commonly found on regular PPQ WILL NOT.

Why Walther doesn't have sight commonality (along with magazines) is ludicrous.

Oh well, they make more money in a year than I do.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #14

Maxwell .22
Quote:
OK, I'll make it easy for you. The PPQ/P99 sights that use the windage screw and spring/plunger system, will not work for you. PERIOD

The Press fit sights for the PPQ/P99/PPS WILL work for you. PERIOD. Meaning, they'll fit in the dovetail in the PPQ SC. Now will the POA/POI be correct. I have no clue.

As for afermarket sights. If they use the windage screw system, they will not work in the PPQ SC (unless they're made specifically for the SC). If they're a press fit, or they're held in with an allen screw (Speed Sights, Dawson & possibly others) they will fit the dovetail in the PPQ SC.

Is that clear enough?
Yes it is! Thank you imaoldfart! Oh well, time to get a return authorization.
Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #15

Tboneson1944 .22
I bought a used PPQ M2 from a local gun store a little over a year ago. The only down side was the lack of night sites. I really like the gun. This was my first Walther.

I recently purchased a PPQ SC with factory night sites. However, these are phosphorus sites meaning they have to be charged daily. This is not what I expected. I don’t like the phosphorus sites. This gun is in my safe until I find a site solution.

Two weeks ago I found another used PPQ M2 at another store. It had the FS 8 night sites. This gun became my latest purchase. I really like these sites.

I’ll probably convert the other PPQ M2 and the SC to the FS 8 sites. Even being slightly larger, the PPQ M2, in my opinion, is a step above my Glock 19. The grip fits me better and the trigger is smoother.

Last edited by Tboneson1944; 09-15-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Tboneson1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #16

kampers .22
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/QUOTE]The rear sight on a PPQ SC has a 'round-headed' windage screw that fits into a slot in the slide. The 'squared headed' variety of rear sights weren't designed to work with the SC. However, if you want to use a 'press-fit' rear sight, that ought to work.[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are talking about the normal PPQ SC version above? The normal version fo the PPQ SC has a windage screw that adjusts the rear sight left or right in the slide.

Now the PPQ SC (LE) or Law Enforcement version comes with steel sights front and rear and the steel rear sight do not have the windage adjustment screw. It must be press-fitted into the top of the rear of the slide. There is no screw in the hole where the screw is on the normal version of the PPQ SC which are polymer sights.

There are two different versions of the PPQ SC. The normal version and the Law enforcement version. The normal version comes with polymer front and rear sights and the LE version comes with steel front and rear sights. The front sight on the LE steel front sight is held in place with a slotted screw headed screw.

Last edited by kampers; 10-23-2019 at 10:01 AM.
kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #17

Rich807 .22
Quote:
In addition, Walther also offers a 'press fit' rear sight. These 'press fit' sights will fit into the dovetail on the P99's, PPQ's and PPS's.....and I'm assuming they'll also fit into the dovetail on the PPQ SC. The installation of this type sight normally requires the use of a sight pusher, although, if you know what you're doing and use the proper tools, they can be hammered in with a hammer and a punch (be careful trying to do that).

I've done this on 2 PPQ M2s, including 1 just yesterday via hammer & punch method.

I normally only use my PPQs in daylight on outside ranges/training areas & I've learned that what works for me is the plain steel Walther sights with the white dots painted over black.

As an aside, I think the factory polymer sights are garbage on an otherwise fantastic firearm... I sheared a polymer OEM front blade clean off of a PPQ not long ago while drawing/holstering... The rear I replaced yesterday was a 10-8 'U' iron sight... quality made but just didn't give me as good shooting experience as I get with the plain ole' Walther steels.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #18

kampers .22
My new PPQ SC LE version

Quote:
Max, the dovetail dimensions are the same on the P99, P99C, PPQ M1, PPQ M2 and I'm assuming the PPQ SC and I'm assuming the PPS M1 and M2.

The difference is the way the sight is manufactured (to what dimension) and how are they held in place. The PPQ's and P99's use a spring and plunger system, located in the slide to capture a 'square headed' windage screw in the rear sight. These sights can be pushed in or out of the dovetail with your thumb....again, they're held in place by means of the square headed screw which is captured by the ears on top of the plunger in the slide.

The rear sight on a PPQ SC has a 'round-headed' windage screw that fits into a slot in the slide. The 'squared headed' variety of rear sights weren't designed to work with the SC. However, if you want to use a 'press-fit' rear sight, that ought to work.
My PPQ SC Law Enforcement version came with steel sights on it. The rear sight is steel and is pushed on and does NOT have any adjustment screws for windage. There is a hole in the sight that goes all the way through the rear sight. When I first saw the hole I thought the screw was missing so I was going to call Walther and find out what was going on. Before that, I did some research and figured out that I had an LE version of the PPQ SC and that it had the steel pressed on rear sight without a windage adjustment screw. So everything was normal. These steel sights (both front and rear on the LE version) also have glow in the dark paint for the aiming dots. You expose them to light and then turn off the lights and the dots paint glows in the dark. Not sure how long it will glow in the dark like that.
kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #19

Walther Wood .22
At the risk of sounding ignorant, which I don't mind if attempting to learn something I obviously don't know, why the big deal on the tritium versus phosphoric sites? I know how they work and what the physical/chemical difference is twixt the two but seems to me more people want the tritium sights. Why? My PPQ SC is the LE version (Model #2829789) and the phosphoric sights glow very well in the dark. Are the tritium sights that much brighter/better? If so, why not just get the model (#2815249TNS) that comes with them factory installed? Is only about $50 more than the base model and you certainly can't buy and have them put on for that.
@kampers wrote "There [sic] are two different versions of the PPQ SC. The normal version and the Law enforcement version. The normal version comes with polymer front and rear sights and the LE version comes with steel front and rear sights. The front sight on the LE steel front sight is held in place with a slotted screw headed screw."
Respectfully @kampers, I read on the website there are actually three different offerings of the PPQ SC; one plain with polymer sights, one with steel phosphoric sights (LE), and one with tritium XS F8 night sights. Of course the basic pistol is the same just sights and magazine count varies. I didn't know plastic/polymer sights even came on pistols nowadays. That is something I do not understand.
Walther Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #20

Rich807 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kampers View Post
I did some research and figured out that I had an LE version of the PPQ SC and that it had the steel pressed on rear sight without a windage adjustment screw. So everything was normal. These steel sights (both front and rear on the LE version) also have glow in the dark paint for the aiming dots. You expose them to light and then turn off the lights and the dots paint glows in the dark. Not sure how long it will glow in the dark like that.
I have experience w the PPS LE models & those come with the Walther steel night sights, which are phosphorus (vs tritium types). I believe these are an insert rather than painted on.... people were having problems with them popping out here & there a while back (threads exist on the board talking about that issue).

I kind of LoL at the Phosphorus sights b/c although after you've had them exposed to good light they glow like crazy (for a while) but the thing is if you have your piece holstered, like anyone CCWing would, they're not going to be charged when you draw down to stop a threat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ