Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BartCarter
  • 1 Post By RoanokeReloader

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 AM  
LFX

LFX .22
Difficult mag release Q5 SF

There is a thread about inadvertent release of M2 poly's. I just got the Q5 Match SF for competition and I can't hit the mag release without totally breaking down my grip. It tends to "stick" 1/2 way relative to my M2 (and I exercised the new Q5 till my thumb was sore to see if would break in).

I have pulled the mag release apart on the Q5 SF and the M2 poly, and it appears that the springs are different, with the Q5 being a big stronger by feel (and a different color and maybe spiral sorry didn't take pics). Switched them back and forth as they are compatible but that was not the issue and nothing seemed coarse in the action.

Took the grips off to see if the mag drop was getting stuck somehow but it was really smooth if you press the mag drop directly with the weak hand thumb (which would really kill time in a race)

What seems to be the problem (for me) is that on the PPQ poly line there is a thumb groove that slopes down to the mag button, but on the Q5 SF its a full large grip. So that's why I can't hit the button. (photos should show what I mean)

So, I am wondering if the button extensions Walther has violate the IDPA or other rules, or if I should get some G10 grips and sand them down to resemble other PPQs, I don't think getting a weaker spring would be best at this point.

BTW:
I agree with the thread that on a EDC/protection gun, you never want to drop your mag due to stress/accident, but with a race gun it's costing time in a big way, and I'm not using my race gun for EDC, the SF is too heavy.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q5-M2-Mag-rel2.jpg (122.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Q5-M2-Mag-rel-sidebyside.jpg (251.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 09:00 AM  

highhope .22
just practice break the grip and regrip
Old 07-25-2019, 09:15 AM  

BartCarter .22
Why don't we all contact Walter about their extended mag release?

Who will be the 1st to groove their grip to make for better access to the mag release?
Liggett likes this.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:44 PM  

chrome308 .22
I’m also waiting for Walther’s extended mag release. Until then I have some aftermarket grips on order (LOK Grips) and will probably groove those so I can keep the factory grips all nice and factory.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:21 PM  

Bighonu .22
I need to shift my grip more than usual as well. Would like to see some slim contoured grips at some point, or at least an extended mag release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 03:32 PM  
LFX

LFX .22
Groovy LOK Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome308 View Post
I’m also waiting for Walther’s extended mag release. Until then I have some aftermarket grips on order (LOK Grips) and will probably groove those so I can keep the factory grips all nice and factory.

How do you like the LOK Grips? I wrote them and asked about grooving them but have not heard back yet. I know G10 is nasty and you need a mask. (Oops, I see you said on order, I'd love to hear about it when you get them)
Old 07-26-2019, 08:53 PM  

upsman .22
Try switching mag release to other side and use your trigger finger to hit the mag. I switched mine because of some nerve damage in my neck that affected the use of my thumb . Now I have found it to be way easier and faster without changing my grip.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:33 PM  

Misfire .22
I think the mag release button on the Q5 SF is a little bit further away than on the PPQ M2 and it feels far to reach. But I haven't actually noticed a big difference when reloading during a match. But then again, I'm pretty slow to begin with - I don't sprint and dive from position to position but do more of a leisurely jogging... Just my accuracy keeps me higher up on the score chart.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:23 PM  

Liggett .22
I've got LOK's on at least 6 1911's. They're great grips and at about a 10-15% discount from the more well known brand. I know he has black golfball dimpled ones already for the SF and is working on developing a "thin" version. I see no reason that he won't be able to put a scoop into the SF grips, but then again, I'm not a gripmaker.
I'd be tempted to order a set and then just file a thumb relief into them. Maybe I will once this never even seen or handled pistol gets here. I'm hoping all these little complaints I hear can be taken care of with some judicious tinkering.

Us 1911 guys are used to tinkering.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 AM  

RoanokeReloader .22
There is a Q5 SF extended mag release out. I had one on order through Earl’s a month ago, but canceled as I had filed down my polymer grip to create that same thumb groove and felt like I could hit the mag release just fine as is. I am also used to slightly breaking my grip to get my thumb on the mag release for most pistols. The grip is pretty thick at the top end, plenty of room to thin it out. Used curved files to contour. Be sure you remove the grip panels from the frame before filing.
Liggett likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Tags
grip, mag release, q5 sf