PPQ at near contact distance? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree20Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #1

Rictshaw .22
PPQ at near contact distance?

I've got a 5" PPQ M2 that I love, and I've been doing a variety of drills with it recently. Everything seems to be fine...except one thing....

I was doing a "near contact distance" drill, shooting at a silhouette with the muzzle only about a foot away from the target. In this drill, you index the gun butt against your rib cage, with the gun tilted slightly to the right. The tilt is to maximise the ejection of the spent casing.

This is the first time I've done this drill, and every time I tried it the PPQ jammed. It seems that the fired casing gets caught by the slide, and never clears the slide.

At first I thought it might be that I was mistakenly using light loads, but this was with my normal load of 115 grain, plated bullets with 3.7 gr of Ramshot Competition powder. Theses loads have never had a problem before, and I've shot maybe 600 rounds of them through this pistol.

Has anyone else tried this drill? Anyone else had this problem with the pistol tilted like that? I realise the pistol is optimised for target shooting, but it should still be able to be used this way, correct?

Rictshaw
Rictshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Unread 04-25-2019, 07:06 AM   #2

Kar98 .22
Doctor, it hurts when I do this! Well quit doing that then.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Limp wristing the pistol. Why is that? Because you can't hold it for chit in the manner you described.

Your "near contact distance drill" will work with a revolver.
socrates007 and Caine like this.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

Al the Infidel .22
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Limp wristing the pistol. Why is that? Because you can't hold it for chit in the manner you described.
Takes practice to be a gangsta.
Al the Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #5

Caine .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post

Your "near contact distance drill" will work with a revolver.
Absolutely correct in that position the slide has nothing to compress the spring against. Try compressing a spring against a hard surface and then try the same thing against a pillow. Iím sure you can imagine the result. The same thing happens during the Near Contact Distance drill.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #6

XRing .22
The tilt and loose grip maximize the jamming of the spent casing.
Don't do that (Henny Youngman impersonation.)
Kar98 likes this.
Unread 04-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

Rictshaw .22
Wow, such "helpful" suggestions! You guys are a riot!

No really, the reason I'm practicing that (and the reason I'm asking) is because of the fact that I'm rapidly losing my vision to Macular Degeneration. (If you're not familiar with that, it's a condition/disease where the central part of your vision becomes a large "black hole"; no cure).

I'm younger than most people who get this condition, but I've been shooting for about 20 years, and I want to continue for as long as I can: my eye surgeon says six months to a year until "practically blind". I also know that disabled people are seen as easy pickings by the human predators, and I want to be able to defend myself once I can't see beyond arms reach. And I want to make sure the gun isn't taken away from me, hence the "speed rock" type exercise.

So, long story short, I'm not trying to be "gangsta" or John Wick...but my defensive range will be arms length, and I wanted to find out if the PPQ would be a good tool for that. Seems like it won't. I don't THINK it's because of limp wristing the gun, since it didn't happen when I tried the same drill with my Glock, or my beloved S&W 3913, or even my little Ruger LC9...doing the same drill with the same ammo.

Anyway, thanks for all the "help" , and if you know anyone who is still shooting with Macular Degen, let me know...I'd love to trade tactics/workarounds to this kind of problem.
Unread 04-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

jkv45 .22
Any chance the slide is contacting some part of your clothing or body during recoil and slowing to the point where it doesn't cycle completely?

That was the first thing that came to mind when you stated - "...you index the gun butt against your rib cage..."
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

Rictshaw .22
I don't THINK so...
Make a "gun" with your fingers. Put the bottom of your wrist/palm against your rib cage, just under your nipple. Now tilt the "gun" about 35-45 degrees to the right (if you're right handed).
That allows the slide to be spaced from your side/ribs, and is also SUPPOSED to be better for ejection of the spent casings.

I probably won't have a chance to go shooting at a range that allows that for several weeks, but I'm definitely going to do some experimentation. If this is a "no go" for the PPQ, for any reason, it's good to know now.
Unread 04-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #10

jkv45 .22
Certainly do some more testing, but if the slide's movement isn't being hindered the only other issue would be lack of a solid hold, due to the position, that may allow the recoil to be absorbed.

What rounds are you using? It's possible they may be on the edge of functioning the gun during normal firing and you may need to try another round with slightly more velocity.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ