PPQ at near contact distance? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
The PPQ requires a good grip...PERIOD. You'll be unable to hold the Q firmly enough in the position your described to ensure 100% reliability....PERIOD.

I just tried holding my Q in the position your described, and attempted to rotate the pistol 35į to 45į clockwise. It hurt my wrist....was totally uncomfortable and awkward....but, maybe its just because I'm a sissy.

If you're planning on not being able to see beyond arms length and can't see your sights, what you're going to have is a wrestling match for the gun. And if that's going to happen, you don't want to give the bad guy any more than necessary for them to grab hold of. In other words, you might want to consider using a 2" barreled stubby revolver.

With a 4" semi-auto, the bad guy will have a really nice piece of real-estate to grab hold of...AND then twist/tilt to rip er' outta your hand. But a 2" barrel......not so much.

Bottom line, if I couldn't see more than arms length, I'd not want to be discharging a firearm, as there could be an innocent somewhere beyond visual range (5 feet).

I think a lot safer bet would be to get a German shepherd.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 04-25-2019 at 04:15 PM.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #12

XRing .22
Seriously. I hope your eyesight macular gegenration does not progress too quickly. Once gone wet there are eye injection and I am sure you know about them.

Rather than using tricky techniques, what I do is hold the handgun inline with my wrist and elbow and level parallel to pointed index finger. Use sufficient trigger finger so at the point of trigger break the trigger is squeezed directly rearward and keep barrel in line and on target.

With this technique at close distance if elbow in contact with your side and at 90 degree you will be able to point shoot pretty well.
This technique also provides very tight and secure hold on the handgun.

May be similar to what you describe but no tilt or angled hold.
I would expect it to work with the ppq.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #13

XRing .22
With macular degeneration many patients have periphal vision but lose clear center vision.
If centeral vision is real poor then consider a j frame. If so bad that you cannot see target and behind, then consider pepper spray, not a firearm.
German Shepard service dog seems like a good option.

Last edited by XRing; 04-26-2019 at 03:34 PM.
XRing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #14

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rictshaw View Post
Wow, such "helpful" suggestions! You guys are a riot!

You described an issue, the (likely) cause was addressed, and then you respond by calling those guys a riot?

The rearward action of the slide being impeded WILL cause a "jam", in this case, an FTE, which means failure to eject.

Also, holding the gun in a non-standard grip and angle will also cause you to limp wrist the gun, which also can and probably is causing your FTE issue.

But, since we're a riot, I wouldn't expect you to follow any advice.

Sucks about your Mac Degen. My grandmother had it....hell of a thing.

Good luck, sir.
socrates007 likes this.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #15
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I practice "red zone" drills frequently with my Q45 (and my Navy Q 9mm in the old days).
You are going to have to brace your forearm tightly against your ribcage and kind of lock your elbow.
It isn't limp wristing more like limp forearming and lots of folks who start doing red zone drills experience it.
Try locking your elbow after your drawstroke and see if you can't get three into center mass.

Red zone shooting isn't the easiest skill to acquire. Keep working at it. Remember to lock that elbow and brace your forearm.
Good luck and keep us posted.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #16

Caine .22
I’m with imaoldfart on this, you might want to consider a short barrel revolver as carry gun. It’s probably just me but I wouldn’t go any lighter than a 357. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money and still get a reliable 6 shot 357, look at the EAA Windicator. This is German manufactured gun that you will hate to love, can be found for under $300. Use the PPQ as a range gun where you can experiment with get a sight picture you can work with.
socrates007 likes this.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #17

jkv45 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Iím with imaoldfart on this, you might want to consider a short barrel revolver as carry gun. Itís probably just me but I wouldnít go any lighter than a 357. If you donít want to spend a lot of money and still get a reliable 6 shot 357, look at the EAA Windicator. This is German manufactured gun that you will hate to love, can be found for under $300. Use the PPQ as a range gun where you can experiment with get a sight picture you can work with.
I carried a .357 revolver, and have fired many full .357 rounds, and would say that it might be a difficult gun to shoot from that position. The trigger pull and trigger travel could be an issue, and the amount of recoil produced would also make it difficult to control the gun and fire more than one round from that position.

Just my opinion.

I would try a different round with more velocity before abandoning the PPQ.
jkv45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I'd go with a Smith & Wesson Model 49. That's a 5 shot, 2" barrel, 38 caliber. A 38 hollow point at point blank range will do the trick. Of course, bullet placement is paramount. But a .357???? WAY too much recoil.....especially in a stubby 2" J frame. You could move up in frame size, which would provide a larger grip, but you still want the 2" barrel....again, less for the bad guy to grab hold of.

Let's be honest. If things deteriorate to the point that we're talking about not firing until the bad guy is at arms length, that means the bad guy will easily be able to reach for and grab the gun....then the wrestling match is on. Who do you think is gonna win that wrestling match?

In addition, how many shots do you think someone would be able to get off before the gun is wrestled out of their hand? I'm thinking one....maybe two. Will they hit their mark? IMO, a bullet would need to penetrate the bad guys skull (brain cavity) or sever his spinal cord to make this a survivable encounter for the victim. If its anything other than an immediately disabling wound, they'll just keep coming....they may bleed out later, but............

In all honesty, I'm back to the German Shepherd.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #19

Rictshaw .22
imaoldfart,

Well, I don't think the German Shepard is going to work...but I do have an old S&W revolver (Model 10, I believe) that might fit the bill. I'll have to try that.

By the way, I'm definitely going to replace the front sight on the PPQ with a Meprolight, as you described in a previous post. Sounds like a good choice for visibility for me.
Rictshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #20

Rictshaw .22
Xring,

Sounds like you've had experience with Mac Degen...in your family, or perhaps you are in the health field?
Rictshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ