WaltherForums

WaltherForums (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/)
-   PPQ (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/)
-   -   Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame FTEs (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/116510-walther-ppq-q5-match-steel-frame-ftes.html)

lperagallo 03-19-2019 09:33 PM

Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame FTEs

I have run into a frustrating issue with FTEs on my new SF. It has been a random issue. I ran into a video about the same issue where the poster has found the issue. I looked at my gun and the I have the same thing where there is too much slop in the frame and mag. If you run the slide without the barrel you can feel the mag hitting the slide because of poor alignment. If you push the mag to the opposite side the slide is smooth. Below is a link to the video explaining the issue. Walther will need to figure this out.

keithwhite100 03-20-2019 08:30 AM

I looked at my Q5 SF Pro, same issue with the wriggle room but no hitting mag with slide. No marks of ware and I've put at least 1500 rounds through my gun. However the mag extension on the pro version prevents me from putting any pressure on the mag when holding the gun.

chandler5566 03-20-2019 10:15 AM

Interesting. When I fired the SF at the Walther-day event I encountered a failure to lock back after the last round (5 rounds fired). The SF used was the 15 round version and I am now wondering if the amount of lateral movement is sufficient to bypass the lock tab? Perhaps that's something one of our SF owners could check.

echotango 03-20-2019 11:02 AM

It has never slide locked on the last round for me, but works every time with my wife shooting. Regardless of the 3 diff PF ammo I have.

chandler5566 03-20-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echotango (Post 1186614)
It has never slide locked on the last round for me, but works every time with my wife shooting. Regardless of the 3 diff PF ammo I have.

There's always a possibility that our hands are contacting the slide lock bar. The first question is....do you see the same magazine lateral displacement as shown in the video? If you do perhaps you could test the "theory" for us. With magazine (empty) inserted apply lateral pressure to the heel of the magazine and visually check to determine whether the magazine follower displaces far enough to bypass the slide lock tab. You could also try applying the same lateral pressure on the magazine with the slide in battery and rack the slide to see if the lock catches and holds the slide.

GTTom 03-20-2019 01:11 PM

Also following this thread. Would like to hear if others have that much play in the magazines causing any issues.

upsman 03-20-2019 02:32 PM

Have shot over 3000 rds and have not had any issues,but i am running the Sprinco recoil reducer system since day 1.

balance 03-20-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

I have run into a frustrating issue with FTEs on my new SF.
Magazine wobble should not cause a failure to extract malfunction, so I have nothing to go on in regards to that.

Explain the issue better, in full detail, explaining exactly what you see and what you have to do to clear the malfunction, and please, don't use abbreviations.

Quote:

Walther will need to figure this out.
If you are having issues with a pistol, I'd suggest you send it back to the manufacturer.

But if you explain the issue here, and you get some more information about what may be going on in your pistol from the members on this forum, I'd say you have a stronger case when dealing with Walther and having them fix the issue.

lperagallo 03-21-2019 08:42 AM

Found a Temporary Fix

I decided to try a hack. First I added two 1.5 inch long layers of Scotch 700 vinyl electrical tape to the left side of the mag starting just above where it tapers. The slide now sits just a hair to the right at the top and it doesn't interfere with the slide. It also drops out of the frame fine. As I was doing this to each mag, I decided it would be easier to add the tape inside the frame on the mag rails. Don't waste your time. While it will fix the issue, for some reason the mags don't drop free. I guess the fix for Walther will be to make a left side set of Mag rails that are a bit thicker. I took it to the range and tried it out. It worked absolutely fine. I have a USPSA match today, so I'll see if the hack lasts through the day.

lperagallo 03-21-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balance (Post 1186644)
Magazine wobble should not cause a failure to extract malfunction, so I have nothing to go on in regards to that.

Explain the issue better, in full detail, explaining exactly what you see and what you have to do to clear the malfunction, and please, don't use abbreviations.

If you are having issues with a pistol, I'd suggest you send it back to the manufacturer.

But if you explain the issue here, and you get some more information about what may be going on in your pistol from the members on this forum, I'd say you have a stronger case when dealing with Walther and having them fix the issue.

Look at the first post in the thread and watch the video. It is detailed there.