Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame FTEs - Page 6 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2019, 05:33 PM   #51

balance .22
Quote:
Why don't we let the "pro" shooters be the beta testers for all the fixes?
It sounds like the fix is an extractor.

I would imagine that the fix is a simple swap, unless they are not interchangeable. If it is not the same design as the polymer PPQ's extractor, I have no idea why they would change the design in any way. That extractor has been functioning just fine since 1997 on the P99.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 AM   #52

Jay90g60 .22
I have had that problem with 2 PPQ s a m1 &m2. The problem was the amount of tension in my right arm/wrist. Straight out it would fail to go into battery bu a slight bend I mean slight all was perfect. Just my experience. BTM the post about the wove not having the issue is probably the one that may cause your problem.
Jay90g60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #53

balance .22
Quote:
I have had that problem with 2 PPQ s a m1 &m2. The problem was the amount of tension in my right arm/wrist. Straight out it would fail to go into battery bu a slight bend I mean slight all was perfect.
Failure to return to battery is different than extraction issues. I have yet to see a casing not extract from the chamber because of a grip issue.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #54

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwhite100 View Post
Running 115 grain loded with 3.6 grain tight group
That seems like an exceptionally light load - it's 3 tenths of a grain below the start charge Hodgdon lists on their website for a 115 gr lead round nose bullet. I'd be curious to know whether you've chronoed it, and if so, what velocity/power factor you're getting. (I personally run 125 gr bullets over 4.0 of N320, which typically has very similar charge weights to Titegroup, and that chronoed 131 PF out of my P99 at last summer's MN USPSA section match - I'd be very surprised if your load wasn't sub-minor.)

I see in your picture that you have an optic mounted - a light load + extra weight on the slide could potentially be a cause of malfunctions. Have you tried running ammo with a bit more oomph through the gun, and if so, does it still malfunction then?
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #55

keithwhite100 .22
[QUOTE=olstyn;1188942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwhite100 View Post
Running 115 grain loded with 3.6 grain tight group
That seems like an exceptionally light load - it's 3 tenths of a grain below the start charge Hodgdon lists on their website for a 115 gr lead round nose bullet. I'd be curious to know whether you've chronoed it, and if so, what velocity/power factor you're getting. (I personally run 125 gr bullets over 4.0 of N320, which typically has very similar charge weights to Titegroup, and that chronoed 131 PF out of my P99 at last summer's MN USPSA section match - I'd be very surprised if your load wasn't sub-minor.)

I see in your picture that you have an optic mounted - a light load + extra weight on the slide could potentially be a cause of malfunctions. Have you tried running ammo with a bit more oomph through the gun, and if so, does it still malfunction then?[/QUOTE

You are correct, I ment to say 4.6 grains. I'm now running 4.8 grains and like the feel. I once ran some low 3.6 grains in the Q5 polimer and it would not work. However they did work fine in the Sig 320. I will go to the range tomorrow and go 150 rounds or so of the 4.8. I'll report if I have any issues.
keithwhite100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #56

keithwhite100 .22
Ok, for the last few days I've been trying to solve the FTE issue on my Walther Q5 SF and this is what I have discovered after 300 rounds.

Problem statement; The round fired being pulled out of chamber hits the round below in MAG and breaks lose from the ejection claw and remains in the chamber, see attached picture.

It is only one MAG out of three that has this issue. The only difference I can find in this MAG is that the feeding round sits at a 23 deg angle in the clip vs, 20 or 21 deg for the other to MAG's. Load is Extreme bullet (RN) FMJ, 115 gr, 4.8 gr of TG power and a COL of 1.125. Is the base design of a Q5 SF for the ejecting shell to clear the feeding shell? I want to know? On my gun this is not the case. It seems to me that you should always have a clearance between the ejecting case and feeding round?

It only happens if I load 8 or more rounds in the problem MAG. I loaded 10 rounds 4 times in a row with this MAG and each time the first two shells did not pull from the chamber. You have to rack the gun back, drop the MAG and pull the shell out or tilt the gun at an angle and the round falls out, i.e. it is not suck in the chamber. During the test I also loaded the spare MAGs with 10 rounds and and alternated the firing between MAGs, no jams in the other two MAGs. I verified that spring tensions were the same in this MAG and it was at about 8 lb. of force which does increase slightly as you increase the number of rounds.

The ejecting shell hitting the feeding round places a small dent in the bullet.

It is 70% Prefecta cases which have a very slight radius on the outer bottom of the shell and only occasionally it is a different case which has also small radius. It is never Blazer or similar which has a 40% chamfer on back of shell bottom.

Summary, I did take measurements of the rounds in the loaded MAGs from the top of the slide and there can be as much as .004 inch difference with the problem MAG round sitting higher up due to the steeper angle. I would really like to know if there should be any interference between the ejecting and feeding rounds, if not, this gun has an issue and the MAGs are on the fine line of not supporting all the different case designs as any RN bullet with a case that has a sharp (small radius) end can hit and knock the case lose in the chamber.

Walter, Thoughts?

Kind Regards, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0405191441a_HDR.jpg (64.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #57
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .38
Gee Keith, at this point, I'm wondering if the problem may be with the magazine lips. Are they parallel and to spec. or are the lips wider at the front than at the rear? If wider at the front, that could let the round ride a little higher and/or with a little more nose up angle.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #58

keithwhite100 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Gee Keith, at this point, I'm wondering if the problem may be with the magazine lips. Are they parallel and to spec. or are the lips wider at the front than at the rear? If wider at the front, that could let the round ride a little higher and/or with a little more nose up angle.
I'm thinking that but we are talking just a few thousands of an inch. I still want to know from the folks in the know is the design of this or any gun ment to provide a clearance between the ejecting case an the feeding round?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #59

olstyn .22
Stupid question, but are the mag catch holes in the same spot on all 3 mags? If the problem mag sits higher in the gun than the other two...
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:02 PM   #60

keithwhite100 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
Stupid question, but are the mag catch holes in the same spot on all 3 mags? If the problem mag sits higher in the gun than the other two...
Yes holes arr all in the same location.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
cdextl2td wjlmjyitmyj2zfsvnayrb jviap1agvcrgkubhi4lmqwjhvvgjbtd-u-xwsabq01zn iu27urb3jwuvkdefvo87wvftna8as-pnhgboyzdzwpn
ppq q5 steel tfb
ppq sf failure to extract issue
ppq steel frame match
prpblems with new walther pp q5 steel frame
q5 match sf precision bullet weight

walther ppq q5 steel frame

walther ppq replacement slide

walther q5 sf failure to extract

walther q5 sf match problems
walther q5 steel match frame forum
walther sf failure to eject
Click on a term to search for related topics.