WaltherForums

WaltherForums (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/)
-   PPQ (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/)
-   -   Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame FTEs (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/116510-walther-ppq-q5-match-steel-frame-ftes.html)

imaoldfart 09-15-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcalvopr (Post 1212778)
Related question.... where can I buy a replacement extractor for my SF? Thanks

Walther at Fort Smith, you'll need to call em'.

keithwhite100 09-16-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcalvopr (Post 1212778)
Related question.... where can I buy a replacement extractor for my SF? Thanks

If you are looking to resolve the issue in this thread I can help you out. Please send me an email, [email protected].

Kind regards, Keith

Liggett 09-17-2019 07:26 AM

Keithwhite's extra power extractor springs work perfect. Do it.

crmcdm 09-18-2019 06:31 PM

+1 on Keith White's extractor spring. I installed one, and installed a Sprinco recoil system with the yellow spring, and my 125 - 135 PF 147 grain loads cycle perfectly - zero issues in the last 500 rounds. Just for fun I also ran some 120 PF loads (for my PCC) through - and they worked well also. With the stock parts I wasn't having that experience.

BartCarter 11-22-2019 10:56 PM

Well, I have a slightly different story.

At first I thought I was free of FTE because I had none for the first 400 rounds or so. Then an occasional FTE. So I bought Keith White's extra power extractor spring. No FTE for about 300 rounds. Then occasional FTE.

I put the original extractor spring back in and super cleaned the extractor before each session. I was good to go for about 400 rounds. Then in one match I had 2 FTEs and the next match 4 FTEs.

The PF on my gun runs from 134 to 141 with Lawman 124s. I was thinking that when I occasionally had a round on the low side PF, the Walther recoil spring was too strong (made to handle NATO ammo?) to let the slide come back enough to eject.

So I got the Sprinco recoil kit with their yellow spring. Today I took my uncleaned SF (400 rounds) and shot 200 rounds with no FTE.

Tonight I cleaned it and put in the Sprinco trigger springs. Two matches this weekend for my next testing.

Liggett 11-23-2019 04:37 AM

If you have time, put the K. White extractor spring back in. I'm also leaving for a match this morning. 1.5hr drive one way.
I'm shooting CCP with a 1911 this match, but I'm taking my SF with the K. White spring, Sprinco return and striker safety spring and 13# 1911 flatwire recoil spring. I'm taking it so my friend who has a poly can try my recoil assembly because he's had some intermittent ejection issues. My SF has not missed a beat in 1500 rounds.
Good luck to you!

RoanokeReloader 12-04-2019 05:35 AM

I had previously posted that my SF, (modified with the keithwhite100 extractor spring, Sprinco TR spring and Striker block spring, and imaoldfart's 13lb Wilson flatwire spring on a ZF modified giuderod) ran perfect thru my range breakin AND my 1st local USPSA match. About 430 rounds...
Anyway, I had some failures to return to battery with the Bayous.

Im using similar setup, but also with Sprinco reduced striker spring, but had multiple failures to return to battery with 13# recoil spring. Would often look like was in battery, but no bang when trigger pulled, was not fully cocking the striker at the end of the return. I could even shake the gun out of battery with the 13# spring. Switched to 15# Wilson 5 1911 spring and no further problems.

keithwhite100 12-04-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoanokeReloader (Post 1223726)
I had previously posted that my SF, (modified with the keithwhite100 extractor spring, Sprinco TR spring and Striker block spring, and imaoldfart's 13lb Wilson flatwire spring on a ZF modified giuderod) ran perfect thru my range breakin AND my 1st local USPSA match. About 430 rounds...
Anyway, I had some failures to return to battery with the Bayous.

Im using similar setup, but also with Sprinco reduced striker spring, but had multiple failures to return to battery with 13# recoil spring. Would often look like was in battery, but no bang when trigger pulled, was not fully cocking the striker at the end of the return. I could even shake the gun out of battery with the 13# spring. Switched to 15# Wilson 5 1911 spring and no further problems.

I have also experienced this condition or similar conditions when running low soft spring combinations in guns. When operating on the lower end of reliability for various firing functions of a gun or any sort of spring operated equipment, time, conditions and use will degrade the springs over time.

"Two material properties are of great interest for springs are the creep/relaxation and the fatigue. One physical phenomenon with metals is that at stress below the yield strength of the material a very slow plastic deformation take place. In the spring branch this is called creep when a spring under constant load loose length and it is called relaxation when a spring under constant compression lose load. How much creep/relaxation is depends on the temperature, the stress in the metal, the metals yield strength and the time. Increased temperature, stress and time also increase the creep/relaxation." Quoted from Lesjofors Publication.

Things change and what worked fantastic today might not work the same 6 months or 5,000 rounds later.

To understand a thing is to master a thing.

Kind Regards, Keithwhite100

Liggett 12-04-2019 12:24 PM

RoanokeReloader, I've been using DG 147 FP's lately but still have some loaded Bayou 147's left. At my 1.148" loaded length, I found the Bayous would not drop and SPIN in the OAL testing of my barrel even tho the DG's would. Closer inspection revealed a difference in ogive. I'm loading, and using, the DG 147's successfully @ 1.148". The combination of the DG's, the Keithwhite extractor spring, and imaoldfarts 13# Wilson 1911 flatwire spring/ZR guiderod, have had my SF running 130PF ammo with zero malfunctions thru it's first 2000 rounds. I've even had a friend convert his Poly to the Wilson flatwire setup with good results.

Liggett 12-05-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olstyn (Post 1208982)
That's my thinking as well. I'll try to remember to post back after I make up some test loads and see how I like it.

I guess I'm not going to be trying a different powder.
Powder Valley had a sale last week with free hazmat and $5.00/pound discount on Viahtavouri powder if you spent $150.
I've now got another 5lbs. of VV N-320 that should last me into the next year and beyond. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.