WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #221

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liggett View Post
I'll have to try it sometime, if its as clean and low flash/smoke as 320, the price and availability certainly cannot be overlooked.
That's my thinking as well. I'll try to remember to post back after I make up some test loads and see how I like it.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #222

Misfire .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkki View Post
I shoot with support/left index finger under the triggerguard. My support hand is high on frame as I described above. It is NOT the thumb or first joint resting on the takedown-lever with my grip, it is the second joint. While the Q5 SF recoils in my soft lil' hands, the lever gets its way through skin 'n bones.
Hmm, it sounds a little bit like Bob Vogel's kind of grip? Is your left thumb pointing downward (like his) or forward (like everybody else - lol)?

My own grip is (nowadays) pretty standard. When looking from above, my left thumb extends forward the same amount as my right index finger (when on the frame and not on the trigger).

Hmm, or if your left hand is so much more forward than your right hand, maybe it's more like a rifle grip?
Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #223

urkki .22
Yes, for example Mr. Vogel has such a grip. Except that I dont do the little clockwise cant that Rob often does.

At least the tip of my support hand thumb points definetly down in my grip.

However, at this point I'd like to draw a clear difference between the gripping styles described above and the over-aggressive ones that got overwhelming while the Costa-style hype was at its top years ago. The style were one rised and overflexed his left arm and dropped his head. And gripped like hell. It sure is a good stance to do a billdrill or mag-dump. But to shoot dynamicly on several targets/threats around you, and to do it fast, efficiently and relaxed even? Not 🙂
urkki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2019, 01:15 AM   #224

Misfire .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
Like it! Hopefully my 6.52 lb Sprinco striker spring will let the slide go into battery properly with these super-light 65 gr frangible ammo.

And hopefully the combination of the Sprinco white recoil spring and their 6.52 lb striker spring will let it eject spent cases properly and not cause a stove-pipe with this particular ammo.

I plan to use Sprinco's 6.52 pound striker spring for everything. I'm just going to swap out recoil spring (white: frangible ammo, yellow: hand-loaded match ammo, red: factory ammo). That's the plan. Hopefully it all works out in practice!
I installed the new Sprinco striker spring today, along with the new white recoil spring. I'll going to try the Inceptor 65gr / 1525 fps frangible again with this new setup in the following days and report how it went.

(This ammo causes stove-pipe malfunctions every ~15 rounds with the yellow recoil spring and stock striker spring. With the red recoil spring it's every ~2 rounds.)

The Sprinco striker spring is much shorter:
2019-08-25 Sprinco Striker Spring (top) vs Original (bottom).jpg

But since the plastic holders are red (not blue!) on the Q5 SF and the Sprinco striker spring is also red, it looks pretty good.
2019-08-25 Sprinco Striker Spring vs Original - Installed.jpg
Old 08-27-2019, 01:12 AM   #225

Misfire .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
I installed the new Sprinco striker spring today, along with the new white recoil spring. I'll going to try the Inceptor 65gr / 1525 fps frangible again with this new setup in the following days and report how it went.

(This ammo causes stove-pipe malfunctions every ~15 rounds with the yellow recoil spring and stock striker spring. With the red recoil spring it's every ~2 rounds.)
It still didn't work. Tried two magazines of 15 rounds and got one stove pipe per magazine.

I have no more ideas on how to get the Q5 SF to shoot this factory ammo reliably...
Old 08-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #226

Liggett .22
I think it's all about "mass to the ass". lol. I load 147gr. coated Fp's for my Sig 938 with 2.5gr of TG for my IDPA "BUG" loads. They only run 715 FPS but cycle the OEM spring and knockdown steel poppers just fine. You need a fast powder and a heavier bullet.

I think your 65gr frangible founds just don't have enough weight to create the initial resistance to get the slide moving. I know you can get frangible ammo in heavier weight bullets than 65gr. I'd look around.

I just did a quick google search and found frangible by Fiocchi, Federal, and Speer with 100 grs. I'd try one of those.

Last edited by Liggett; 08-27-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Liggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #227

Misfire .22
Quote:
I think it's all about "mass to the ass". lol. I load 147gr. coated Fp's for my Sig 938 with 2.5gr of TG for my IDPA "BUG" loads. They only run 715 FPS but cycle the OEM spring and knockdown steel poppers just fine. You need a fast powder and a heavier bullet.

I think your 65gr frangible founds just don't have enough weight to create the initial resistance to get the slide moving. I know you can get frangible ammo in heavier weight bullets than 65gr. I'd look around.

I just did a quick google search and found frangible by Fiocchi, Federal, and Speer with 100 grs. I'd try one of those.
I don't have a choice for that ammo. It's the required ammo for the match.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #228

Liggett .22
Exactly THAT ammo, or ANY frangible?

That's strange.
Liggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:07 PM   #229

Misfire .22
Quote:
Exactly THAT ammo, or ANY frangible?

That's strange.
Exactly that ammo. Everyone in the match have to use it (so only 9mm pistols).

It's just a small local fun single-elimination tournament, so it's not a big deal. I'll just use my PPQ M2 for this match. But would've loved to have been able to use my Q5 SF...
Old 09-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #230

elcalvopr .22
Related question.... where can I buy a replacement extractor for my SF? Thanks
elcalvopr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
cdextl2td wjlmjyitmyj2zfsvnayrb jviap1agvcrgkubhi4lmqwjhvvgjbtd-u-xwsabq01zn iu27urb3jwuvkdefvo87wvftna8as-pnhgboyzdzwpn
ppq q5 steel tfb
ppq sf failure to extract issue
ppq steel frame match
prpblems with new walther pp q5 steel frame
q5 match sf precision bullet weight

walther ppq q5 steel frame

walther ppq replacement slide

walther q5 sf failure to extract

walther q5 sf match problems
walther q5 steel match frame forum
walther sf failure to eject
Click on a term to search for related topics.