Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #211

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by highhope View Post
No, P99 is more reliable, not like Q5sf
What is it that you feel makes the Q5 SF less reliable than the P99 or the polymer-framed PPQ? If it needs to be babied, I may have to rethink my desire for one. (Currently that desire is being staved off by sticker shock and the fact that I've really gotten to love the paddle mag relase on the P99 and PPQ M1. The sticker shock could eventually be overcome by time and dedication to saving money, though...)
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #212

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liggett View Post
try some VV-N320
Yeah, N320 loads at ~130 PF feel great. Even my recoil/blast sensitive wife says my P99 running 125 gr truncated cone Blue Bullets over 4.0 gr of N320 @ 1.100 OAL feels really smooth. I'm sure in a much heavier gun with an inch longer barrel, they're even softer.

Have you tried Alliant Sport Pistol? A friend of mine has been quite happy with it, and I keep hearing that it's basically the same as N320 but much less expensive. I picked up a pound with my last order of primers, so I'll be trying it soonish, but I've still got a little bit of N320 to get through first.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #213

urkki .22
Today, 9k through Q5 SF since the start of april.

Nowadays, still drag when chambering a round when the slide is forward / full mag inserted. It still has got something to do with the loose fitment of the inserted magazine, I guess?

In slide-lock-situations and hitting a fresh mag in, still everynow and then, the slide hits forward without chambering a round. Thats mainly because of my high support hand grip.

My biggest complaiment after 9k, is that the newly designed disassembly lever keeps biting in my thumb. I am a left-eye-dominant right-handed-shooter so my support/weak hand is quite high and aggressive.

In the linked picture you can see the scar-tissue in the second joint of my thumb. Tried to use normal wound-plaster and blister-plasters. Nowadays I use a light glove like this https://www.puuilo.fi/Puuilo-asentajankaesine-12pr-koko-S/7

..in my left supportive hand. It would be easy to treat the nasty lever with some file or Dremel-tool! But in IPSC-production, you arenīt allowed for such modifications.

Still, really satisfied with the performance of the SF!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190822_215947.jpg (71.1 KB, 27 views)
urkki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2019, 01:50 AM   #214

Misfire .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkki View Post
My biggest complaiment after 9k, is that the newly designed disassembly lever keeps biting in my thumb. I am a left-eye-dominant right-handed-shooter so my support/weak hand is quite high and aggressive.
Hmm, why is the take-down lever biting your left hand? Itís on the frame so it doesnít move and itís a nice place to put your thumb. I put my left thumb on it all the time. Itís nice and soft and grippy. Whatís wrong with it?
Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:53 AM   #215

Bighonu .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
Hmm, why is the take-down lever biting your left hand? Itís on the frame so it doesnít move and itís a nice place to put your thumb. I put my left thumb on it all the time. Itís nice and soft and grippy. Whatís wrong with it?
Mus have large hands and shooting with support index finger over the trigger guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bighonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #216

Liggett .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
Yeah, N320 loads at ~130 PF feel great. Even my recoil/blast sensitive wife says my P99 running 125 gr truncated cone Blue Bullets over 4.0 gr of N320 @ 1.100 OAL feels really smooth. I'm sure in a much heavier gun with an inch longer barrel, they're even softer.

Have you tried Alliant Sport Pistol? A friend of mine has been quite happy with it, and I keep hearing that it's basically the same as N320 but much less expensive. I picked up a pound with my last order of primers, so I'll be trying it soonish, but I've still got a little bit of N320 to get through first.
Last fall we had a major match prep session at out local club. We ran the same pistol (5"1911) loaded with TG, PP, 320, and Sport pistol thru a recoil test. They were all loaded to approx 130PF with 147gr. FP's with the exception of the SP which had 160 Bayous.
We used 3 different people, they didn't know which loads they wer shooting and we asked them to tell which was softest. 320 came out on top very closely followed by SP, then Tight Group and Power Pistol.

I'll have to try it sometime, if its as clean and low flash/smoke as 320, the price and availability certainly cannot be overlooked.
Liggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #217

urkki .22
I shoot with support/left index finger under the triggerguard. My support hand is high on frame as I described above. It is NOT the thumb or first joint resting on the takedown-lever with my grip, it is the second joint. While the Q5 SF recoils in my soft lil' hands, the lever gets its way through skin 'n bones.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #218

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
I shoot with support/left index finger under the triggerguard. My support hand is high on frame as I described above. It is NOT the thumb or first joint resting on the takedown-lever with my grip, it is the second joint. While the Q5 SF recoils in my soft lil' hands, the lever gets its way through skin 'n bones.
Try shooting left handed...a serious suggestion. You might be pressing or torueing the pistol to align the sights for the left eye.

Last edited by chandler5566; 08-23-2019 at 03:04 PM.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #219

urkki .22
I actually shoot my pistols with the twohanded leftish grip everynow and then, especially my duty P99Q. It is a mind-opener to found more about how you grip your weapon. Duty-wise, its also a way to use cover more efficiently.

My standard high-grip on Q5 SF is not to pull or torgue to align the sights. It is to control the firearm.
Misfire likes this.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #220

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
My standard high-grip on Q5 SF is not to pull or torgue to align the sights. It is to control the firearm.
I just returned from the gun club and specifically checked out the SF with a right hand hold. I was unable to get the web/lower joint on the left hand to cover the lever. However, I can forsee the web contacting that area if my grip is a little loose when firing. Is it possible that your high grip is actually reducing the grip force of the left hand?
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
cdextl2td wjlmjyitmyj2zfsvnayrb jviap1agvcrgkubhi4lmqwjhvvgjbtd-u-xwsabq01zn iu27urb3jwuvkdefvo87wvftna8as-pnhgboyzdzwpn
ppq q5 steel tfb
ppq sf failure to extract issue
ppq steel frame match
prpblems with new walther pp q5 steel frame

walther ppq q5 steel frame

walther ppq replacement slide

walther q5 match sf feeding issue

walther q5 sf failure to extract

walther q5 sf match problems
walther q5 steel match frame forum
walther sf failure to eject
Click on a term to search for related topics.