WaltherForums

WaltherForums (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/)
-   PPQ (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/)
-   -   Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame FTEs (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/116510-walther-ppq-q5-match-steel-frame-ftes.html)

Misfire 05-23-2019 01:31 AM

Just to follow up - a couple of local matches later and I still haven't had a single issue. I even tried to reproduce any potential issues by:

1. Kept 5 magazines fully loaded at 15 rounds (seemed like people were mostly talking about full magazines).

2. I had previously been using my old PPQ mags but this time I also used the mags that came with the Q5 SF.

3. Loaded all mags with mixed ammo I had lying around - 3 different manufacturers and weights randomly loaded into each magazine.

No problems. It shot great no matter what kind of round happened to get chambered.

crmcdm 05-24-2019 10:21 PM

Shot a 10 round match last weekend, and I thought I was going to complete it with no malfunctions, but on the 2nd shot of the last stage I got a failure to eject, quick clearance and off I went. So hard to know why - I use range brass and load my own, and while I try to be attentive, maybe one light load. Had a practice session since, and went through 500 rounds no problem. Maybe a break-in issue (I'm at about 3,000 rounds now) - going to focus on keeping it clean and well lubed.

mem4 05-25-2019 11:14 AM

How far the cases are falling from your Q5 SF?

Misfire 05-26-2019 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mem4 (Post 1196372)
How far the cases are falling from your Q5 SF?

I have many personal slomo first-person-shooter (FPS) videos of me shooting the Q5 SF at various matches (240 fps video recordings).

Looking at one of my most recent videos where I was using various different kinds of rounds in the same magazine, the cases are ejected at about 70-80 degree angle (some more upward then sideways, not always the same). It's not consistent. The more upward ejections go down about 1m away, the more sideways ejections go down about 3m away.

Looking at some slightly older slomo FPS videos with just 124 gr Blazer factory ammo, it looks like the cases are ejected at around 80 degrees. Some more forcefully than others.

Would you like me to upload some of my slomo videos to YouTube?

Misfire 05-26-2019 04:01 AM

Arrgh, I couldn't get YouTube to show the slow-motion version, but uploaded one of the stages to YouTube. This one happens to be a USPSA-style match but with all steel targets (so you know if you hit or miss) - great practice!

But even without the slow-motion, you can still see how the cases are ejected. Equipment specs in the video description (click "more").

mem4 05-26-2019 04:40 AM

Thx Misfire for your impressions and video.

WxGuy 05-26-2019 06:48 AM

Is the last video shot with the stock recoil assembly? Somewhere in the forums I read the PPQ is sprung to NATO spec ammo. If so, that would lead to problems over here with our softer loads.
Funny thing, I had these types of issues when I had the 5" poly match and other 5" PPQs. I switched to the lighter sprung Sprinco RSA and had no more issues with going into battery, feeding, and ejection.

DukeIronHand 05-26-2019 07:03 AM

Notice that Misfire mentions spent casings ejecting differently.
I claim no expertise but, in a perfect world with everything (gun & ammo) being perfect, shouldn’t spent casings extract, travel, and land almost in the same spot?
In theory of perfect anyway as the gun is always operating the same and the ammo perfectly uniform.

balance 05-26-2019 08:09 AM

No amount of limp wristing or spring tension due to break in would cause a failure to extract malfunction. If the slide traveled far enough to the rear to pick up the next round in the mag, then it traveled far enough to eject the spent casing. I seriously doubt this is a user error or break in issue.

Misfire 05-28-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WxGuy (Post 1196464)
Is the last video shot with the stock recoil assembly?

My Q5 SF is pure stock, no modifications. (Standard version, 15 round magazines and without magwell)