PPQ SC and Shield RMSc Red Dot - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

johnrr6 .22
PPQ SC and Shield RMSc Red Dot

I wanted to let the forum know that this combination was possible on the PPQ SC and the journey it took to get there. I am a fan of the SC and know some folks are standoffish on it because of the newly designed dual spring striker system. I like the size, weight, balance, feel, the soft way it shoots, the 15 rd mag and that wonderful PPQ trigger. The pistol has such a nice feel for a 15 rd, 3 inch barrel sub compact. In close to 1000 rounds I have had ZERO problems with the weapon.

I am also a huge fan of Red Dots. My 64 year old eyes just are not what they used to be and a young Navy Seal friend suggested I try Reflex Red Dots. Boy was he right! HUGE difference in my shooting....exponential. My Q5 Match with Trijicon Red Dot is simply the best, most accurate striker fired pistol I have ever shot. And I have shot over 20 different striker fired weapons in the last two years. Sigs, H&K’s, S&W’s, Springfield’s, Berretta’s, Glock’s....you name it. Anyway, I have a custom PPS M2 with a Shield RMS with Bill Springer trigger work that I had Mark Housel in North Carolina mount the Shield Red Dot long before Walther made it a “thing” with their own release. It’s a great single stack and easily concealable. I was hoping the PPQ SC could replace it so I could have a much larger Mag capacity....buuuuut it did not have the ability to mount a Red Dot so off to Mark Housel it went.

Hats off to Mark and his patience and design skill! The dual spring striker system leaves very little metal to work with to mount the Shield. Mark designed a special plate with tapered sides that is mounted to the slide and milled into the rear sight well. The Shield mounts to that plate. It is a truly elegant design and Mark was also able to “co-sight” the piece using the Shield’s rear sight notch and a higher front sight blade. The weapon looks like a factory design....not some bolted 3rd party add on.

Lightweight, size, 15rds, ergonomics, low muzzle flip and softer shooter, Red Dot Accuracy, co-witness sights, PPQ trigger, and the gun handles any ammo I throw at it and LOVES my 1000 fps plated bullet reloads that I do the majority of my practice shooting with.

Disadvantages:
Shield RMSc must be removed to change the battery unlike the normal Shield RMS that has a pop out tray. (But heck, my expensive Trijicon on my Q5 Match ALSO has to be removed to change the battery so not really a big disadvantage).

Conclusion:
I like the PPQ SC and recommend it for those who want a smaller concealed Walther but don’t want to give up magazine size and that fabulous PPQ trigger. I have had zero issues with the dual spring striker system and in fact, the gun shoots softer and has less muzzle flip (I believe) because of it. I know pistols are like cars, and everyone has differences on what is right for them. But mix a PPQ SC with a Shield Red Dot and I believe you have a very nice setup.

Mark Housel can be contacted at his Website: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/ or by phone: (510) 396-0849‬. For total price contact Mark directly. I was a "one-off" design so your price will be cheaper.

I bought the RMSc sight directly from Shield: https://www.shieldpsd.com/shop-2/rms...t-compact-4moa. Including shipping from the UK and exchange rate....it was Approx $320 (Americans do not pay the VAT Tax). Took about 10 days to arrive. I believe Brownells and some other vendors are carrying it now, but probably at a bit higher cost.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPQ SC.jpg (49.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Shield Co-Sight.jpg (20.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg DeliberateFire.jpg (30.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg RapidFire.jpg (30.6 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by johnrr6; 08-01-2018 at 03:59 PM.
johnrr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #2

Yankchef .22
What is the height of the front sight. Looks awesome! Thanks for the tip on the contact f
Yankchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

johnrr6 .22
Will get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankchef View Post
What is the height of the front sight. Looks awesome! Thanks for the tip on the contact f
I am out of town at the moment but as soon as I get back I will measure the blade with my calipers get back to you. It was a standard black suppressor height blade and Mark painted the front phosphorescent orange as that is what I like. I also sent a quick text to Mark asking him but I know he is absolutely buried in work at the moment and it may be my calipers are faster LOL

Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

Clarkston .22
Very nice.

I could see walther offer the SC with that optic (like the PPS RMsc)
next year or so.

Enjoy that cool setup!
Old 08-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #5

Ailan .22
I really like this. Love to see how much this would run me. Accuracy looks insane out of such a small barrel.

I just picked up the PPQ SC a few weeks ago and have run quite a few rounds through it. I'm loving it. It's my daily driver.
Ailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #6

socrates007 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
I wanted to let the forum know that this combination was possible on the PPQ SC and the journey it took to get there. I am a fan of the SC and know some folks are standoffish on it because of the newly designed dual spring striker system. I like the size, weight, balance, feel, the soft way it shoots, the 15 rd mag and that wonderful PPQ trigger. The pistol has such a nice feel for a 15 rd, 3 inch barrel sub compact. In close to 1000 rounds I have had ZERO problems with the weapon.

I am also a huge fan of Red Dots. My 64 year old eyes just are not what they used to be and a young Navy Seal friend suggested I try Reflex Red Dots. Boy was he right! HUGE difference in my shooting....exponential. My Q5 Match with Trijicon Red Dot is simply the best, most accurate striker fired pistol I have ever shot. And I have shot over 20 different striker fired weapons in the last two years. Sigs, H&K’s, S&W’s, Springfield’s, Berretta’s, Glock’s....you name it. Anyway, I have a custom PPS M2 with a Shield RMS with Bill Springer trigger work that I had Mark Housel in North Carolina mount the Shield Red Dot long before Walther made it a “thing” with their own release. It’s a great single stack and easily concealable. I was hoping the PPQ SC could replace it so I could have a much larger Mag capacity....buuuuut it did not have the ability to mount a Red Dot so off to Mark Housel it went.

Hats off to Mark and his patience and design skill! The dual spring striker system leaves very little metal to work with to mount the Shield. Mark designed a special plate with tapered sides that is mounted to the slide and milled into the rear sight well. The Shield mounts to that plate. It is a truly elegant design and Mark was also able to “co-sight” the piece using the Shield’s rear sight notch and a higher front sight blade. The weapon looks like a factory design....not some bolted 3rd party add on.

Lightweight, size, 15rds, ergonomics, low muzzle flip and softer shooter, Red Dot Accuracy, co-witness sights, PPQ trigger, and the gun handles any ammo I throw at it and LOVES my 1000 fps plated bullet reloads that I do the majority of my practice shooting with.

Disadvantages:
Shield RMSc must be removed to change the battery unlike the normal Shield RMS that has a pop out tray. (But heck, my expensive Trijicon on my Q5 Match ALSO has to be removed to change the battery so not really a big disadvantage).

Conclusion:
I like the PPQ SC and recommend it for those who want a smaller concealed Walther but don’t want to give up magazine size and that fabulous PPQ trigger. I have had zero issues with the dual spring striker system and in fact, the gun shoots softer and has less muzzle flip (I believe) because of it. I know pistols are like cars, and everyone has differences on what is right for them. But mix a PPQ SC with a Shield Red Dot and I believe you have a very nice setup.

Mark Housel can be contacted at his Website: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/ or by phone: (510) 396-0849‬. For total price contact Mark directly. I was a "one-off" design so your price will be cheaper.

I bought the RMSc sight directly from Shield: https://www.shieldpsd.com/shop-2/rms...t-compact-4moa. Including shipping from the UK and exchange rate....it was Approx $320 (Americans do not pay the VAT Tax). Took about 10 days to arrive. I believe Brownells and some other vendors are carrying it now, but probably at a bit higher cost.

Very nice shooting, and outstanding accuracy!
socrates007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #7

Ailan .22
Any chance you can record some videos on it? I am seriously considering it but I may need to send my SC in to fix an issue before I commit to it.
Ailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

johnrr6 .22
Front Sight Height

@Yankchef Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you...was on a long trip. My calipers measure the front sight height at .270 but it's kinda hard to truly measure unless I remove the sight so I might be off a very minor amount like .001 - .005 or so.

@Allan Sorry bud. I just don't do videos because of privacy concerns. But would be happy to answer any and all questions via PM.

Last edited by johnrr6; 08-15-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #9

Mystro .22
Factory red dot setups are the new wave. Prices have come down so much on optics that most shooters including me want the option to run them on many of my handguns. Companies are going to have to offer them.
johnrr6 likes this.

Last edited by Mystro; 08-15-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Red dots are the answer for old goats suffering from CSS.
Grunt67, johnrr6 and Rorshack like this.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page

can a walther sub compact be milled for red dot sight

ppq sc red dot

pps m2 rms shoots low
red dot for walther ppq sc
rms compact red dot
rmsc battery
rmsc battery change

rmsc red dot

trijicon red dot walther ppq sc
walther 22lr red dot sight
walther ppq sc m2 red dote
walther ppq sc red dot
Click on a term to search for related topics.