PPK/S 22LR Range Report - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #1

Bret .22
PPK/S 22LR Range Report

I took my new PPK/S 22LR to the range today along with some CCI Mini-Mags, Winchester Super X and Federal Bulk.

I fired 30rds of the CCI, 30rds of the Winchester and 60rds of the Federal. Accuracy was decent, the sights were small, recoil was basically nil, the SA trigger pull was good and the DA trigger pull was waaaaaay heavy. I had one problem as far as reliability goes. I shot a total of 12 10rd mags through the pistol. Four of the times, the second cartridge from the magazines failed to feed. This was the first cartridge that should have fed automatically. It happened with all three types of ammo and with various magazines, so I'm confident that it's not the ammo or magazines. Has anyone else experienced this? I can't really figure out why the second cartridge from the magazine would fail to feed sometimes. Other than that, I'm very pleased and am looking forward to getting a suppressor for it. I'll take suppressor suggestions too if anyone has used one on this pistol.

Last edited by Bret; 12-28-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

Austin Powers .22
I have never experienced such an issue, in fact, this is the first time I've even read of such an issue.

Seriously, even the legions of haters this gun has will begrudgingly praise the magazines for their improved design and reliability.

Are you sure that this occurred with all 3 brands of ammo? I ask because while the PPK/S .22 loves CCI Mini Mag and other such premium high velocity ammo, Federal bulk ammo and Winchester ammo such as those in your pic typically FTF/FTE.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

Bret .22
Yes, I'm 100% sure that it happened with each type of ammo. I even tapped the magazines to seat the cartridges to the rear after the first couple of failures to feed, but it happened again a couple of times after that.

While the pistol generally didn't eject the Federal spent cases with the same velocity as the CCI and Winchester, they all ejected fine. I'm very pleased about that because I expected the weaker ammo to cause trouble. FYI, that particular Winchester ammo has about a 200ft/sec higher velocity listed on the plastic box than the CCI does.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #4

KDKSAIL .22
I've had this happen--slide locks open after the 1st shot) a number of times with both my Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22 (5 different mags) and my Sig Sauer Mosquito (5 different mags)....with CCI Mini Mags, Remington Golden Bullets and Aguilla Super Extra. I can't say that it's a '..common..' occurrence....but it does happen from time to time.

Why ??? The only explanation that I've ever come up with is that because of the odd angles that .22 rimfire ammo sometimes assumes as it passes up through the mag, the slide lock mechanisms are sometimes allowed to engage. It's a '..theory..'...and little more. But it doesn't happen with either .22 often enough for me to be bothered all that much
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #5

Wildtoad .22
Thanks for the report. I went to the range today to try a CCP but also to try a box of Winchester Super X 40grn in my PPK/S 22. I bought 5 boxes so I hope they do ok. I did have 1 each FTE, and one stove pipe but the other 98 did just great. So if CCI's or Golden Bullets aren't available these will do for some range fun.

On the CCP, fired all 50 rnds with no issues, felt good, shot great. Just not enough to replace my 380 PPK, and no I don't want an additional gun or caliber to deal with.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22

Last edited by Wildtoad; 12-02-2016 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Clarity
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #6

MoonWolf .22
Quote:
Why ??? The only explanation that I've ever come up with is that because of the odd angles that .22 rimfire ammo sometimes assumes as it passes up through the mag, the slide lock mechanisms are sometimes allowed to engage. It's a '..theory..'...and little more. But it doesn't happen with either .22 often enough for me to be bothered all that much
I've had this happen with my Umarex PPK/S a couple of times and also with a Bersa Thunder 22. The Bersa uses a similar magazine to the PPK/S. I think your theory is probably correct. In addition, the PPK/S uses a very weak slide lock spring - in comparison to one in the original PP 22. A stronger slide spring might cure the problem.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

Bret .22
I took it back to the range again today and put 140rds of the Federal 22LR through it. About 2/3 of the time, the spent case from the first cartridge would not eject. When this would happen, I'd drop the magazine, clear the spent case, reinsert the magazine, pull the slide back and let it go. The next cartridge would chamber and ejected fine every time. So it seemed to me that the first cartridge loaded from a full magazine was not ejecting correctly. Towards the end of my shooting, I decided to do a test. I loaded the magazine, inserted it in the pistol, pulled the slide back, let it fly and then shot the pistol. The first case failed to eject, so I dropped the magazine, cleared it, reinserted the magazine, pulled the slide back, let it fly and then shot the pistol. The next case ejected fine. I then dropped the magazine, inserted one that was full with 10rds, and then shot the pistol. The case ejected fine. I then dropped the magazine again, inserted one that was full with 10rds, and then shot the pistol. Again, the case ejected just fine. So, it seems like the problem is the first cartridge that's loading in to the chamber manually. I think that next I'll try only loading 5rds in each magazine to see if that makes a difference. This is very odd.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #8

SARGE7402 .22
Glad you are enjoying your new PPK/s. Owned one for about 6 months and found it was a joy to fire with any type of 22 ammo we had on sale here. If it works fine with the magazine loaded with only 9 rounds. Load only 9 rounds and have a lot of fun. Some of the magazines I have for my 70's PPK/s only work with 8, 9, or even as low as 7 rounds.
SARGE7402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #9

milans .22
PPK/S 22LR

Hello all, I am new here with almost new PPK/S 22LR and I am unlucky, after first shot I fire second and extrator with spring and small pin were out form frame, the bullet stay in barrel and other part of amo stay with broken botom. Can anybody tell me what is going wrong. I bought pistof 2 years old a few days ago and seller told me that is all ok. Can I fix it by myself or must go to service.

Thank you, milans
milans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #10

Wildtoad .22
Call Walther and tell them what happened. They will repair it for free including shipping both ways. I’ve had that happen twice.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page

ppk .22 velocitors or mini mags

Click on a term to search for related topics.