PPK/S 22LR Range Report - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #11

KDKSAIL .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by milans View Post
Hello all, I am new here with almost new PPK/S 22LR and I am unlucky, after first shot I fire second and extrator with spring and small pin were out form frame, the bullet stay in barrel and other part of amo stay with broken botom. Can anybody tell me what is going wrong. I bought pistof 2 years old a few days ago and seller told me that is all ok. Can I fix it by myself or must go to service. Thank you, milans
It's difficult to say from your brief description. BUT....it sounds (??) as if the pistol didn't lock-up all the way into 'battery' and you experienced an catastrophic '..blow-out..' of the discharged/fired .22LR casing (at the rim of the .22 cartridge ??) on your 2nd shot....this may have caused the bullet to '..squib..' in the barrel and 'blew out' the extractor and spring. Did the rest of the cartridge 'case' remain in the chamber ??
Which 'brand' and type of .22LR ammo were you using when this occurred ??

As noted above. Contact Walther-USA Customer Support....
CUSTOMER CARE
(479) 242-8500 EXT. 507
E-mail: [email protected]
https://www.waltherarms.com/customer-support/
....and try to arrange to ship the pistol back to them for repair.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #12

KDKSAIL .22
P.S.....the 'good news' here is.....that if this was a catastrophic '..blow-out..'....then the problem was most likely ammo-related and not a problem with your PPK/S .22LR (though it sure as hell didn't do the pistol any good in the process).

It's also a practical reminder that wearing proper eye protection at the range turns out to be really good advice.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:11 AM   #13

1917-1911M .38
It is not unheard of for some firearms to be a bit finicky when chambering that second round. I've read of pistols where it is a general recommendation to not fully load the mag. The reason is that the magazine spring is highly compressed and it takes more energy for the rearward moving breech rail to drag over the top round going rearward and more energy to strip the round
from the magazine. This can happen with larger calibers but it is most often associated with .22s.

A .22 doesn't have a really strong recoil spring. Try different ammo and keep the chamber clean. CCI should run, if not, clean the chamber and the inside of the magazines.

If you had a blowout you should have a spent case that clearly shows that failure. Armscor was particularly bad about it a few years ago.

Milans, I'm not clear what you are saying but it sounds like that a squib or blown out case left a round in the barrel. Then you fired another round into that one which of course won't work. This did not allow the round to exit the barrel and all of the gas blew out the rear of the case and very likely damaged the barrel. If you are ever shooting and feel a very weak round....stop immediately, unload the pistol including the one in the chamber and then inspect the barrel to make sure it is clear. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2018, 05:06 AM   #14

milans .22
Thank you very much to all, yes the cartrige stay in barrel with open bottom, the amo was Alfred Nobel HV mybe too strong and I will not use HV ammo in the future.
About return to Walther I am from EU and this is almost impossibile. Yes, I wear eye protect and have a few other gun, I bought this PPK/s 22.lr just for plinking… Here in EU we have more dificult rules for gun owners like you

Thank you very much.

milans
milans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #15

Bret .22
Walther is a worldwide company. Do they have a local representative in your country? If so, they should be qualified to do repairs. Your owners manual should indicate where to return the firearm for repair.
Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #16

1917-1911M .38
Member Crete in Greece has a number of posts on the state of affairs regarding getting firearms repaired, replacement parts like a slide, etc. and how it is almost impossible.

It sounds like a squib, and the gas blew out some area of the bottom of the pistol. This pistol has a barrel, barrel nut, and barrel sleeve so while the barrel might have been severely damaged perhaps the barrel sleeve contained most of the blast or forced it out the rear of the chamber. We have seen pictures of rim blowouts on the P22 and it has been powerful enough to crack the slide just above the front of the breech block, bow out the left side of the polymer grip/frame allowing the slide stop arm to become dislocated and caused the extractor to fly off somewhere.

I believe the specs for pistol ammo calls for high velocity. So that should not be the problem. The squib was a problem but firing the next round is where the real problem developed. It would be interesting to see a picture of the damage if you can manage it Milans. Glad you weren't hurt. 1917

Photo of a steel PP on the bottom, steel frame, steel barrel fitted and pinned to the frame boss. New zinc Umarex version up to showing barrel fitted through the zinc frame boss with a sleeve and barrel nut holding the barrel in place.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 12-30-2018 at 01:49 PM.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:33 AM   #17

Wildtoad .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by milans View Post
Thank you very much to all, yes the cartrige stay in barrel with open bottom, the amo was Alfred Nobel HV mybe too strong and I will not use HV ammo in the future.
About return to Walther I am from EU and this is almost impossibile. Yes, I wear eye protect and have a few other gun, I bought this PPK/s 22.lr just for plinking… Here in EU we have more dificult rules for gun owners like you

Thank you very much.

milans
I would at least contact Walther and tell them what happened. Tell them what parts are missing. They may send you new ones. As I mentioned before it has happened twice with mine. In both instances there were two parts that needed to be replaced, primarily because I couldn’t fine them. The spring and extractor were missing. In looking at mine, it seems that it would be fairly easy to replace them both.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #18

KDKSAIL .22
>>>...the amo was Alfred Nobel HV mybe too strong and I will not use HV ammo in the future...<<<

Sorry. I'm not familiar with '..Alfred Nobel HV..' .22 LR ammo. But as a general rule, '..HV..' (High Velocity) .22LR rimfire ammo usually isn't a problem in most semi-auto .22 pistols. If anything HV ammo is recommended by many .22 pistol manufacturers (CCI Mini Mags most frequently)....and tends to make 'em operate better, with fewer partial '..Failure-to-Eject..' problems common in .22 semi-auto pistols.

As has been noted above, here in the US, there have been NUMEROUS (far too many) reports over the years of '..catastrophic blow-out..' problems in .22 semi-auto pistols with ARMSCOR 36 gr. High Velocity Hollow Point .22LR ammo.

In any event, CARL WALTHER GmbH (based in Germany) is an international company and should have authorized service & repair centers throughout the EU...that should minimize the EU 'hoops''..' you may have to jump through to get your pistol repaired.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #19

milans .22
Thanks to all for help, here are the pictures after shoot:

and parts which I found, I just can't find small steel bal if is part of the gun or ammo

milans
JERRYS. likes this.

Last edited by milans; 01-01-2019 at 08:29 AM.
milans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #20

GeoNole94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Photo of a steel PP on the bottom, steel frame, steel barrel fitted and pinned to the frame boss. New zinc Umarex version up to showing barrel fitted through the zinc frame boss with a sleeve and barrel nut holding the barrel in place.
Even these old eyes see a difference in overall quality between those two pistols. Regarding the OP’s problem, HV ammo would not cause such a problem short of a squib followed by a second round, as 1911 suggests. My Walthers prefer HV ammo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page

ppk .22 velocitors or mini mags

Click on a term to search for related topics.