One of our handgun students had.... - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

halfmoonclip .22
One of our handgun students had....

...a Umarex Walther .22. I tried not to be too much of a Walther snob (she was a nice gal and pretty in the bargain). The gun itself wasn't too hard to look at either, but the double action required a comealong; single action wasn't bad.
What is the consensus; will she receive decent service in a moderate amount of shooting, or should I counsel her to run away and trade it?
It ran okay during the course itself.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Austin Powers .22
The trigger pull will eventually smooth out to the point of being comparable to other PPK/S variants and should feed just about anything but subsonic ammo or extremely cheap bulk pack ammo with slow-burning powder.

Despite their similarities in material composition, the PPK/S .22 shares nothing in common with the infamous P22, which ought to be apparent when going on 4 years after its release not a single report of the various issues which plagued the P22 have surfaced in regards to the PPK/S .22, nor has any need for a "PPK/S .22 Bible" arisen.

Once you get past the "eeew" factor of it being constructed from ZAMAK/Aluminum Alloy and lesser cosmetic appeal of the PPK/S .22, take it to the range, and that trigger smooths out, there is no valid reason to dislike or distrust the firearm.
Darkstar888 and Jaems like this.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.

Last edited by Austin Powers; 10-24-2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Typo.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 PM   #3

halfmoonclip .22
Okay, Agent, I won't sweat the small stuff.
I thought you had referred to a slide fracture or some other disaster, and do I understand that the model has been discontinued?
Moon

Old 10-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #4

KDKSAIL .22
The double action trigger pull on the Walther/Umarex .22LR is HEAVY (even by comparison to many other .22LR semi-autos, at 10-13 lbs.)--approx. 17.5 lbs (according to specs). As noted above, the pull should smooth out and reduce a bit with a lot of use...but it ain't never gonna' be anywhere near to '..light..'. It's just something that she will have to learn to adapt to. Single action trigger pull is rated at approx. 6.1 lbs....and with use will probably become a bit lower.

If your student is new to shooting sports and semi-auto pistols, this '..heavy..' DA trigger pull may very well be a good thing and an additional (perhaps even desireable) '..safety..' feature of the pistol.

If your student wants flawless performance from the pistol, she should try to use CCI MINI MAGS (40 gr.solid or 36 gr. Hollow point) ammo....unquestionably the best rimfire ammo for ANY .22LR semi-auto. REMINGTON GOLDEN BULLET (solid or hollow point) and AGUILLA SUPER EXTRA work almost as well. All of these ammos are '..high velocity..' (1200 FPS or higher). AVOID any of the FEDERAL 'bulk pack' .22LR (persistent failure-to eject problems).
halfmoonclip likes this.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 PM   #5

Austin Powers .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Okay, Agent, I won't sweat the small stuff.
I thought you had referred to a slide fracture or some other disaster, and do I understand that the model has been discontinued?
To the best of my knowledge (and believe me, I searched thoroughly) there has yet to be so much as a single report of any slide fracture or any other disastrous issues regarding the PPK/S .22 since its release in 2013. In fact, in my search for issues, I have found reports which are quite encouraging regarding the PPK/S .22 surviving catastrophic ammo blowouts, so I can only conclude that Umarex learned from the failures of the P22 and thus made the PPK/S .22 more than tough enough to handle the wear and tear of frequent trips to the range.

Whether or not the PPK/S .22 will continue to withstand the test of time is unknown, but I think that if there were any immediate cause for concern then it would have become common knowledge by now due to widespread reports of any potential shortcomings of its design/construction.

The production of the PPK/S .22 has indeed been discontinued by Umarex/Walther Germany, but rumor has it that Walther Arms of Fort Smith Arkansas has already begun their own production of the PPK/S .22, with some claiming to have seen/handled display models at recent gun shows/conventions and that said production was of stainless steel construction like its .380 counterpart, but these sightings have yet to be confirmed and Walther Arms reps have yet to provide a clear answer when asked of their existence.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:57 AM   #6

halfmoonclip .22
Okay, and thnx all.
We'll just keep on keeping on.
Moon
Old 10-25-2016, 03:13 AM   #7

Location: New Mexico and Texas, currently deployed to the ROK for two years
keltec357 .22
Good evening,

Mr. Moon, I have two of them and I am very pleased. Yes, bulk box cheap ammo will make it a single shot but Remington Golden Bullet is 100% function. I do like the "silver" finish better than the blue/black. The function of both is equal.

Be well,
David
keltec357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #8

Wildtoad .22
I too have one, and it is a pleasure to shoot. My first box of ammo was Federal white box and it was terrible. Switched to CCI, Golden Bullitt and so far so good. I still get an occasional issue but very rare. I have had three cases of .22 casing failures, one of which resulted in the gun having to go back to Walther for repair. They were great to work with. I have since bought the .380 but really prefer to fire the .22.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #9

KDKSAIL .22
The only cases of '..catastrophic blowout..' that I've experienced have been while firing ARMSCOR Precision 36 gr. High Velocity Hollow Points. A friend's Walther/Umarex PPK/S suffered a single 'blowout' with the same ARMSCOR ammo, which blew-out the ejector hook and spring. My friend shipped his damaged PPK/S back to Walther, which repaired the damaged ejector and returned it within a week. In neither instance was the PPK/S slide itself damaged.

At first we thought that the 'blow-out' problem(s) was with the PPK/S pistols, rather than the ammo...until we also experienced similar blow-outs in two(2) different Sig Mosquitos and a Ruger SR22. The identical catastrophic 'blowout' problem...in five(5) different pistols...from three(3) different manufacturers sorta' proved that it was the ARMSCOR ammo.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Jaems .22
I have had mine since early 2013. The only problem has been the case suppurating from the rim of a Winchester white box of 325rds 1280, 36 gr JHP. It also turned all of my .22 pistols into single shots.

I have shot a brick of Winchester Wildcat with no problems. Winchester red plastic box 1300 40 gr JRP, Winchester subsonic, Different Federal's, American Eagle, Remington GB and TB, CCI MM, and Standard, the same no problems. However, I haven't tried any Aguila, S&B, GECO, or any of the Match Ammo like Eley, SK, and etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg round.jpg (82.1 KB, 22 views)
Jaems is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page

walther ppk/s .22 discontinued

Click on a term to search for related topics.