PPK/S .22cal is being discontinued? - Page 5 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #41

Oldtrader3 .22
I agree Searcher. I appreciate the help that people here have given me and accept that there are always some people more helpful than others. I will shoot this pistol through a few more sessions and if it does not settle down, sell it. Only somewhat accurate and reliable self-defense firearms are interesting.

My rub with this pistol is only the design and materials. I am not a big fan of Zamac being used as pistol frames or for any structural purpose. For that reason, I have refused to buy a Colt Scout revolver for many years because of the bubbling finish associated with plating of Zamac frames.

This iteration of the PPK/S is pretty much useful mainly as a short range defensive weapon and as such, it has the cache of looks but not high accuracy and fully dependable function. It rates kind of like my ex-Kimber 1911's: pretty but not pretty dependable!

I have always been a fan of the old Walther PP pistols in .32 ACP. The two PP's which I owned were very accurate, despite small sights and functioned flawlessly with good ammo.

Conclusion: I would have paid the going rate for this pistol in .22LR with a steel slide and better functional attributes. I have cleaned mine and stashed it in the safe for future trade possibly? Thanks for your help, guys.
Oldtrader3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #42

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack092251 View Post
does anyone have any knowledge on 22lr powder burn differences? and does that match up with the FTE problems seen in ppk/s 22lr ?
This would be some interesting information to read about. The site ByTheInch tracks a wide assortment of rimfire and centerfire round with regard to velocity and energy and from short to long barrels....pistol and rifle. I notice that many .22 rounds have almost the same velocity and energy specs when in fact there is no comparison at all out of short barrels. I tried to find out more about this from Federal. All I was able to get was some vague information regarding different powder and different primers with no explanation of where a manufacturer was trying to go regarding the manufacture of said ammo. Perhaps there needs to be a quick burn powder/primer for pistols and something else for rifles. Regardless of similar performance specs on the boxes.....shooting tells an entirely different story, especially in recoil and recoil is necessary to cycle full slide .22 pistols. M1911
jack092251 likes this.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 06-09-2016 at 09:40 AM.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #43

Jimbo80 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtrader3 View Post
This iteration of the PPK/S is pretty much useful mainly as a short range defensive weapon and as such, it has the cache of looks but not high accuracy and fully dependable function..
This iteration was never intended to be a defensive weapon. It is pure and simply a plinker designed to cash in on the aforementioned cache of the PPK series pistol. Obviously it was not very successful as it was discontinued rather quickly. If you ever laid hands on a "real" PP series .22 you would surely not relegate it to safe duty or trade bait. They are a true joy to shoot, possibly even better than the .32.
searcher451 likes this.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #44

KDKSAIL .22
Many years ago, there was an indoor range/club in Manhattan that was very popular with various members/employees of the Israeli diplomatic missions. What was surprising was the number of these people who practiced with and carried .22 semi-auto pistols (a wide variety of makes & models...though the Walther PP .22LR and Beretta 70 .22LR seemed to be favourites) for 'personal protection'. .22 semi-auto pistols were small, easy to carry/conceal and...in the right hands...lethal.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #45

Wildtoad .22
I've owned my PPK/S .22 for a few months now. This is my first pistol and admit freely that I chose it for it's connection to Bond stories and all I wanted was something to take to the range to shoot with my son. The fact that it can double as a self defense weapon is extra. The fact that it is Zamac, or not an original, or whatever is of no consequence. It is fun to shoot, seems to be quite accurate with the sites that came with it, and after some 2000 rounds through it seems well broken in.

I hope never to have to use it for self defense but I'd hate to be the guy who gets 10 high velocity HP's in the chest.
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #46

Jaems .22
Quote:
members/employees of the Israeli diplomatic missions. What was surprising was the number of these people who practiced with and carried .22 semi-auto pistols
The Brits military carried PP .22's, off duty, in Northern Ireland.
Jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #47

Wildtoad .22
I personally think the .22 is underrated for self defense or its potential for putting a hurt on someone. I would not want to use it to stop a mother bear protecting her cubs, but a potential molester would stop what they are doing. Americans have an unusual fascination with size.
jack092251 likes this.
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #48
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildtoad View Post
I would not want to use it to stop a mother bear protecting her cubs . . .
Not so fast. Hear about the young lady who saved herself from a charging grizzly bear with nothing but her .22LR revolver?

She and her boyfriend were out hiking when the 800-pound grizzly broke through the brush headed at full charge straight for the two of them. The young lady stayed cool as a cucumber, though. She calmly unholstered the revolver as the bear bore down on them, cooly raised the revolver at arms length, took slow and careful aim, and with only seconds to spare she squeezed off only one shot into the boyfriends kneecap. After that she reholstered and casually strolled off in the opposite direction.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #49
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That would do it, all right. A well-placed shot works damn near every time.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #50

alfonzo .22
The common .22 lr cartridge is probably the most under rated cartridge ever manufactured. For its small size it lethal capability go far beyond what it initial size would dictate. Even at 200 yards a .22 lr cartridge can still penetrate a human torso
with serious injury or lethal results.

Believe me there are many deer killed each year, illegally for the most part of course, with the little .22 lr cartridge.
alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page
are walther ppks 22 discontinued
bersa thunder 22 gander mountain
do new ppk/s come with a threaded barrel

is the walther ppk discontinued

ppk/s 22lr for sale

walther ppk .22 discontinued

walther ppk discontinued

walther ppk frame material

walther ppk will be discontinued

walther ppk/s 22lr

walther ppk/s discontinued?

walther ppks 22lr replacement sights

Click on a term to search for related topics.