PPK/S .22cal is being discontinued? - Page 4 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #31

Jaems .22
The Winchester has been a problem in all .22LR semi-auto pistols, also Armscor. However, the Winchester works fine in the rifles. CCI mini mags seem to work for everyone along with Remington and Federal, at least in mine.

Last edited by Jaems; 06-08-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #32

KDKSAIL .22
>>>...What are your stellar life achievements which make you Atlas? You have me at an information disadvantage there, since you told me nothing about yourself?...<<<

Ah, gee whiz. I didn't realize that you wanted to hold hands, take long walks on the beach and exchange life-stories and 'confidences'. Frankly, you've confused me with someone who might give a tinker's damn about your life story (or you with mine...fair's fair). I was under the impression that this was a informational forum for the Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22LR.

The possibility exists that the PPK/S you purchased **MAY** indeed have problems...but far more times than not, the problems you describe can be explained by ammo-sensitivity, common to many (if not most) .22 semi-autos (Failure-to-Fire, Failure-to-Feed, Failure-to-Eject alone or in combinations) and the particular ammo used. Firing high, low, left or right of POA can certainly be explained by misaligned sights....but can also be explained by inconsistent shooter 'mechanics'. Some days I'm 'spot-on'...others high, low, left or right (or all four at once)....and I would dearly love to be able to blame the sights but......to paraphrase the old adage, "..It's a poor marksman that blames his sights..'.

If you're looking for a .22LR pocket-pistol for self-defense that seems to be less 'ammo-sensitive' than most (though not completely...at least in my experience) take a look at the Ruger SR22 (ships w/small & large grips incl.) It would be a shame to deprive the Ruger forum of your charm and wit.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:52 AM   #33

KDKSAIL .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaems View Post
The Winchester has been a problem in all .22LR semi-auto pistols, also Armscor. However, the Winchester works fine in the rifles. CCI mini mags seem to work for everyone along with Remington and Federal, at lease in mine.
I've experienced multiple failures (F-T-Fire, F-T-Feed & F-T-Eject) with all sorts of Winchester .22LR ammo in the PPK/S, Ruger SR22 and Sig Mosquito.

CCI Mini Mags (1,200+) run smoothly through EVERYTHING almost flawlessly (why can't ALL .22LR be as consistently reliable in semi-autos as this ??)

Remington Golden Bullets and Aguilla High Velocity (1,200+) generate very few failures of any kind (out of thousands of rounds).

All of the Federal 'bulk pack' .22LR are almost as much of a problem with the PPK/S and the Sig Mosquito for me as Winchester...but run through the Ruger SR22 well (go figga' ??)

I don't shoot much 'hyper-velocity' stuff (1,400+...who needs the additional 'wear 'n tear'?) but on the occasions that I have, it's run through everything just fine.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #34

Oldtrader3 .22
I have NO interest in taking long walks anywhere with you. The Internet is full of back shooters, who are not even considerate enough to give you the benefit of knowing something about your antagonist, in order to at least, slow the invective!

For one thing, I am disabled (18% lung capacity) which somewhat limits my personal range of outside acquaintances, plus I am Common Variable Immune Deficient and you all make me sick, literally. This require an eight hour infusion each third Friday, just to keep me alive. I have clinically died three times in the past 7 years from lung cancer and MRSA pneumonia. No complaining, just fact! Enough said about this. However, you have not told me anything about you, just mostly criticized. For the record, I already have a wife and (5) kids in the Complaint Department!

My first ammo impulse was CCI Mini Mag HVHP's. Shot 1.5 inch groups, up and off target 18 inches high!!!!!! Pistol had burrs the size of ballot chads hanging off each ragged edge of the chamber. Hence FTF, stove-piping, etc, etc. I would shoot CCI HVHP exclusively if the Communist Republic of Washington State would drop dead and stay out of people 's affairs with shooting!!!

Today the PPK/S goes to the range and either picks up with one of the (5) types of ammo which I have or it goes to the LGS on the way home. I have a S&W-SW99 Victory which reliably shoots Mini Mags into 1 inch at 9 yards. I am 72 years old and that is about the extent of accuracy, given that I used to shoot in the low 290's, ten years ago when I was not old and as sick!

I will let you all know what my tests shooting yield after I go to the range. I have two type of target ammo, two types of CCI HV, two types of Win Black Box and some Federal Auto Match. If I can't get near the bulls eye with this combination, it is bye-bye for the PPK/S! All I want is a pocket pistol for snakes while fishing. I have a S&W Mod. 317 and a Ruger Super Single Six as .22's which fill that task, so, we shall see if this pistol makes the team or not?

Last edited by Oldtrader3; 06-08-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Oldtrader3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #35

jack092251 .22
it seem that 22 cal. pistols with short barrels are a challenge for consistent shell ejection

just guessing here, but the speed of powder burn from different company's - maybe from grain shape - might be the cause. For a long barrel, a smooth even burn gives the best results. (I know that in trap, we could feel the Remington shells were a lot softer on the shoulder than the federal shells, even though the amount of powder was the same.). In a short barreled pistol however, a slow burn would result in most of the energy just being lost - with the result that there is less energy to fully push the slide back.

so the question is- does anyone have any knowledge on 22lr powder burn differences? and does that match up with the FTE problems seen in ppk/s 22lr ?

Last edited by jack092251; 06-08-2016 at 10:45 AM.
jack092251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #36
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
On this forum, at least, we concentrate on the firearms and not our life stories as legal tender to pass along tips, suggestions, or experiences.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #37

Wildtoad .22
If you want a carry pistol for snakes might I suggest a Ruger LCR in 22 with some shot shells? Not trying to be funny. I like my PPK/s in 22 and find it shoots CCI Mini Mags, and HV Remington Golden Bullets just fine. I'm new to pistol shooting and am quite pleased with the accuracy. Just wish the sites weren't all black as my eyes are not what they used to be.
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #38

Jaems .22
Jack,

As you have figured out. LR means long rifle that is what the ammo is design for and most have a slower burn for the longer barrel. As a kid all I ever saw was Winchester, Federal, and Remington for .22 ammo. All of their ammo worked fine in the semi-auto, pump, bolt action rifles, and revolvers. When I started shooting semi-auto pistols in .22. These three brands still worked in the semi-auto. Then came CCI mini mags and of course they worked.

Since Olin sold Winchester to FN. Their ammo, at least, in the 22LR has gone down hill for the semi-auto pistol. Since Browning .22LR ammo is also made by Winchester. You can add them to the no use list.

Remington still uses a faster dirty burning powder and so this brand works in almost everyone's Semi-Auto pistol. The CCI have always used a faster burning powder in all of their different ammo's. Which is why they have been the stand by for Semi-Auto pistols. Of course any of the +P ,22LR ammo like Viper, Stinger, and etc will work.

So it is the powder burn that is causing the problems. The Winchester will work all day with out a hitch in my StG 44 and my 10/22. But will turn my Semi-Auto pistols and conversion kits into single shots.
Jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #39

Oldtrader3 .22
I shot my PPK/S at the local range this morning with (4) different LR loadings and manufacturer's ammo. I shot three groups of five shots each per ammo type at 9 yards. They were:
-CCI 40 Gr RN Pistol Match, 1070 FPS, 1 FTE/per 5 shots. Shoots to POA, most accurately. Too little pressure to cycle action reliably.
-Federal Auto Match Target 40 Gr HVRN, 1200 FPS, 1 FTF. Shoots 5 inches high, fairly accurate.
-CCI Mini Mag 36 gr HVHP 1260 FPS, 1 FTF/magazine. Shoots 3 inches high, larger group than 40 gr HVRN.
-CCI Mini Mag 40 gr HVRN 1235 FPS, no failures. Shoots close to POA and accurate load, very little vertical dispersion. Round nose feeds more reliably with fewer FTF's.

From this, it appears that I can obtain nearly satisfactory 9 yard results with the HVRN CCI MIni Mag, 1235 FPS ammo. CCI Match is most accurate ammo but will not reliably cycle PPK/S slide. I feel that this pistol needs some more break in shooting. I have owned this PPK/S for 3 years and have only shot about 100 rounds through it, all in the last two weeks. I have and used three different magazines, all performed similarly.

The combination of a fairly light pistol, heavy trigger pull, small sights and fairly high blowback inertia makes this pistol a challenge to shoot accurately, even at 9 yards target distance. I let another man at the range shoot the PPK/S, just for comparison. His results with his own WW HVHP ammo was also unsatisfactory grouping and 6 inch high impact point.

Searcher, there is such a thing as credibility! This brings up the point of currency for decisions or lack thereof. The opacity of forum responder's in this medium does mask the credibility of individual's backgrounds, age and relevant experience. Sorry, but this has always been an issue on forums! Not trying to start a fight, just saying. I do not claim to be anyone's expert on this particular pistol or design just trying to solve some problems with the example that I have. I own several other .22 pistols, all more capable than this one in function, user interface ergonomics and accuracy.

My usual snake gun is a very accurate Ruger Super Single Six or a similarly accurate S&W Mod. 317.

Last edited by Oldtrader3; 06-08-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Oldtrader3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #40
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Best I can tell you is that plenty of good advice has been offered in this thread, by a number of folks with more than a decent track record here. It's the nature of the beast. If you don't trust you read on the internet, and you shouldn't without a thorough gut-check, then you'll just to have to use another form of communication to get the answers that you seek. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, folks can make up anything they want and put it into their CV; happens all the time, in fact.

In any event, let's move on.
Milspec likes this.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page
are walther ppks 22 discontinued
bersa thunder 22 gander mountain
do new ppk/s come with a threaded barrel

is the walther ppk discontinued

ppk/s 22lr for sale

walther ppk .22 discontinued

walther ppk discontinued

walther ppk frame material

walther ppk will be discontinued

walther ppk/s 22lr

walther ppk/s discontinued?

walther ppks 22lr replacement sights

Click on a term to search for related topics.