Brand new PPK/s .22 slide jammed - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #11

KDKSAIL .22
As noted above...there is a SLIGHT difference in the diameter of the ends of the recoil spring---one end/opening of the recoil spring larger than the other end. You need to be sure that the SMALLER diameter end (slightly tighter fit) of the recoil spring goes onto the barrel first and 'seats' against the chamber 'shoulders'.

As a visual reminder of this....the next time you clean your PPK/S, clean the recoil spring thoroughly and wipe down the SMALLER END thoroughly with alcohol and apply a bit of contrasting spray paint to the last couple/few coils of this smaller end. Can't hurt.
KDKSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #12

RJWest .22
Nope... both ends on this particular pistol are identical.

Here's a couple pics of my wife shooting "her" new Walther ppk/s .22. Did pretty good for a first timer

Last edited by RJWest; 02-06-2016 at 03:05 PM.
RJWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #13

Change_in_stjoe .22
I have a brand new ppk/s 22 with the same problem and was able to figure out the issue. The top of the slide has a slot that the front edge of catches the back end of the recoil spring. The end if at the top sticks up into the slot. The way I found to get the spring down to clear the edge of the slot is to jam a folded small zip tie. Its just the right thickness and has enough lead in to ramp the spring down when its pushed forward
Change_in_stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #14

rsolomon .22
On my BD date-coded Umarex PPK/S .22LR the spring ends are the same size, the spring is thin, and the ends are sloppily open. I found this thread searching for the stuck slide problem and used Change_in_stjoe's trick to get the slide to move, but I couldn't get it to move far enough to let me remove the slide. I ended up using a small giveaway-sized pocket screwdriver, reached in through the disassembly gap exposed by lowering the trigger guard, and pushing the recoil spring towards to muzzle. I only needed 1/4" or so before I could move the slide, and the pressure applied kept the spring from coming along and getting caught. I then crudely closed up the spring ends better, carefully positioned the loose end down on the frame side, and re-assembled. Voila! I too called Walther and they're sending a new spring - which I hope will be better finished!
rsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #15

1917-1911M .38
RJWest....those must have been Remington Thunderbolts....never heard of Superbolts. Try some rem Golden Bullets when you get a chance. Bet those work fine. Not all 22 ammo works well in short barrel pistols with full slides. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #16

rsolomon .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsolomon View Post
Voila! I too called Walther and they're sending a new spring - which I hope will be better finished!
Sorry, I forgot to update this. I quickly received the new spring from Walther at no charge. The invoice has note to the effect of "Gunsmith modify before shipment!" which IMNSHO goes a LONG way towards explaining things....

In any case, the new spring is nicely finished and fits identically in either orientation. It also functioned fine in a post-install range session and exhibited no binding or catching during a couple of post-install takedowns and reassemblies.

Pistol saved! Now if only I could do something about the VP70-challenging double-action trigger pull.....
rsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #17

RJWest .22
Fast forward a couple years. I sold my PPk/s 22 to fund another "project". However I really liked shooting the PPk. It was a neat little shooter and now I regret selling the thing. I went out & picked up a new one this morning...

I would assume this is more or less the same as the one I had before? Any updates to the parts or construction? It seems very well built & sturdy.
RJWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #18

Graybearded1 .22
The 2nd? 3rd? recoil spring on my PPK/S 22LR is about 1mm smaller on the "back" end of the spring. That end of the spring is lapped, while the front is gapped.

Wish Walther would mention this in the handy-dandy (>sarc<) manual they include.
Graybearded1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page

new ppk 22 range report

walthe ppks 22 springs
walther ppk/s 22 spring
walther ppk/s 22lr 1/4 slide
walther ppks 22 slide difficulty
Click on a term to search for related topics.