Buyer's remorse on your new PPK/S? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

View Poll Results: Is your new PPK/S 22LR a keeper?
Yes 93 76.23%
No 29 23.77%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #1

avigar .22
Buyer's remorse on your new PPK/S?

To those that have had the new PPK/S for a while, any regrets on owning one? Just looking for some feedback from current owners.
avigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-03-2014, 01:55 AM   #2

5437 .22
Ammo was my biggest issue. Once I found a brand it liked (CCI mini mags) my enjoyment rose. A little customizing and I really like the gun. Replacement of the grips and painting of the sights was all it took for me. DA pull will never get better, but I have fun with this one.
5437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
This active thread ...

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...-back-out.html

... seems to cover the same ground and may be of interest.
olsoul likes this.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #4

BB57 .22
Unlike the other thread, I think the intent of this one is to limit the discussion to actual owners of the new PPK/S .22LR who have had one for awhile, rather than folks who tried one once or heard about someone who tried one once, or who knew someone who heard about someone who tied one once, or who had a cousin who knew someone who heard about someone who tried one once.
(Milspec): Anyone may post in any thread. Vote in the poll if the question applies.

Last edited by Milspec; 04-12-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Rule clarification.
BB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #5

avigar .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB57 View Post
Unlike the other thread, I think the intent of this one is to limit the discussion to actual owners of the new PPK/S .22LR who have had one for awhile, rather than folks who tried one once or heard about someone who tried one once, or who knew someone who heard about someone who tied one once, or who had a cousin who knew someone who heard about someone who tried one once.
Yes, that is the intent of this thread/survey. It will help to consolidate input from actual owners themselves. Maybe, we can learn from each other as to how to best improve/tweak our new PPK/S 22LR for better performance and increase its reliability/enjoyment of its use.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Nope...it sure isn't a keeper as far as I'm concerned...but I can't in good conscious sell it to some other unsuspecting slob. I bought one of the first available believing the advertizing and expecting a real Walther.

Build quality just isn't there. The materials are inferior and there is play between the frame and slide. The DA trigger is way too heavy (dare I say insane?) and hasn't loosened up over almost 1K rounds ( no one can say I haven't given it a fair trial). The black finish easily wears and scratches and the mag feels more like a leggo toy.
It has not been ammo friendly....

While it isn't as accurate as I would want, in all fairness it is accurate enough for a plinker.

I had originally purchased the UPPK/S as a trainer weapon for my wife who EDCs a Manurhin PPK/S 9mmk, in that, it has failed miserably. She has been much better served by using my L66A1.

If you folks figure out how to correct this I'll be extremely interested. My feeling is that one shouldn't need to "tweak" a weapon to get it to run like a top....

And if you limit this thread to only those who own this replica, you'll get lots of fanboy comments thrown in. There are a number of folks who have handled and shot this weapon and found it was not for them.

There are a couple forum members who I respect greatly that are pleased with this weapon and feel their money was well spent. I'll look forward to hearing from them... Wish I could say I found my money was well spent on this weapon.

Last edited by olsoul; 03-04-2014 at 09:36 PM.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #7

Jaems .22
It would depend what you are looking for in a .22. If you are looking for a James Bond look a like, no, that it is not. James Bond's was a PPK, not a PPK/S. James Bond's was blued, mottly brown grips not painted black with black grips.

If you are looking just for a fun plinker, that it is. I have put over 2000 rds through it. The only round that the weapon didn't like was a Winchester 1240 JHP. However, the only .22 that Winchester did work in was a Ruger MK I. Also the mags worked with the full load of 10 rds.

The finish on mine has very little wear on the inside, the outside like the day that I purchase it. However, I have the black finish not the nickle. Mine is also very accurate, as accurate as any of my Walthers. I can and have bounce cans at 50+ meters with this one. However, I also like my steel PP in .22 and the new PPQ in .22.

A negative thing was the rear sights (actually the rear and front sights are hard to see with old eyes.) allen screw came loose and the sight move back and forth. I retighten it and now it if off. I will have to take the allen wrench to the range with the weapon to re-sight it in.

No .22 is a good trainer unless it is a conversion kit that will sit on the same frame that you are shooting. Other wise the non competition pistol is only good for plunking and assassination.

There are other .22's out there other than the Walthers, Ruger, S&W, Sig, and etc. I had a Sig for a while hated the trigger travel and reset, so I sold it. Never did like the looks of the Ruger MK I, not a big fan of any of S&W products.

Sorry Bill, In my opinion the Walther sports .22, the Olympia, and the OSP are some of the uglyist Walther designs they have ever made. There is noway you can justify one of those to me. I guess that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

So the new PPK/S in .22 is about as good as any other .22 on the market in their price range. You can get a used steel PP for about 2.5 to 3 time as much money or 4 times for a PPK.
Deputy likes this.
Jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #8

avigar .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
I bought one of the first available believing the advertizing and expecting a real Walther...Wish I could say I found my money was well spent on this weapon.
I tend not to buy anything newly released in the market. I like to wait and give the manufacturer time to work out any possible bugs encountered during the initial year or two of production runs. Since mine is a recent new purchase, it should have the latest fixes, if any, at production time. I never really expected too much from this pistol since I considered it more as a novelty 22LR plinker. I haven't had time yet to take mine to the range, so I won't know if it's a keeper. Hopefully, it will be.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #9

anderson865 .22
I have a ppks .380 in stainless, a ppks .32 in stainless and a ppks .22 in shiny whatever and I love all three. I had a few problems with the 32 but a local gunsmith fixed it. The 22 was a little ammunition sensitive to start with but has improved with usage. I bought all three new and have no plans to part with them. If Walther ever decides to make a matching 9 mm I'll buy it too.
Milspec likes this.
anderson865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

70gtvert .22
Mine, serial # WF012185, is absolutely fine. As I had reported in the past, the only ammo I have had issue with is the Winchester 333 bulk pack, even Remington Sub-Sonics cycle through it. I have 2K + - rounds fired through her now and have used a snap cap as well as the palm of my other hand to prevent damage while dry firing (keep the firing pin from hitting hard metal to metal). I must have the equivalent of 5k trigger pulls and I can say without doubt the SA pull is now like SA on my Interarms .380. Far far better then when new. The only other drawback is the black finish on the front of the trigger has worn off and is now a polished metal from all these pulls. I may take the trigger out and just polish the whole thing out since the black parts on a basically all nickle finish look campy to me.
Funny, you don't see many posts from owners doing a first reporting on their new PPK/S .22 knocking them down. And what complaints I see here mimic those points brought up by others who say they will not, never, ever, give this pistol a try. As it is an open vote, I suspect the vote is being voted on even by those who don't have one. May require a serial # reported with this vote to keep non-owners from voting. Just a thought.
Oh, and yes, this topic should have only OWNERS chime in, as that is who is being asked about this pistol. Those who never bought it, for WHATEVER reason are not going to have any remorse and thus should pass on this topic and definitely not vote on it.

Last edited by 70gtvert; 03-16-2014 at 03:27 PM.
70gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later

Search tags for this page
cci minimags and walther ppk s
conversion kit for ppk .22
new walther ppk
new walther ppk production
poll. ppk or ppk/s?
ppk at 15 yards

ppks barrel replacement

walther pistol pot metal zamac
walther pp vs ppk side by side comparison

walther ppk forum

walther ppk/s 22lr black or nickle finish

walther ppks 22 wood grip
Click on a term to search for related topics.